Testosterone to counteract anti estrogen meds?

Options
pamcb3
pamcb3 Member Posts: 44
Hi,
I have heard that taking testosterone can help with the side effects of anti estrogen meds?
I took arimidex for four months and it was awful!! Now I am taking fareston because I didn't qualify for tamoxifen. It's been almost a month and I am already starting to feel extra bone and joint pain.... I am so discouraged. I am trying to do everything to make it work, take them at night, extra supplements, exercise..... Any words of wisdom for me??

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Testosterone
    Hi,

I've been sort of looking at this very old drug used in treating breast cancer. I did find some information on breastcancer.org which I have included in this post.

My sister's late mother-in-law who was dealing with breast cancer recurrences in the nineteen seventies did use this drug. She had used Tamoxifen and when that failed used testosterone. (Aromatase Inhibitors or Faslodex were not on the market and wouldn't be for almost several decades at that time.) On another site, a women was asking what else her mother could use and listed having used Testosterone for 18 months with excellent quality of life. I was surprise to learn it was still in use. I do know that this drug can have masculinizing effects--deepening voice, facial hair.

I've used all the hormonal drugs (Tamoxifen, Arimidex, Faslodex (250 mg) Femara, Femara (rebooting failed) and Faslodex (500 mg) last scan showed "stable". The only one left is Aromasin and it is to close to Femara for me to consider at this time. I do hope in the future to buy time with Aromasin & Afinitor. I will be asking my oncologist about using Testosterone as another possibility when Faslodex fails. For me, I believe hormonal drugs are what works on my slow growing cancer.

Brand name: Halotestin

Chemical name: Fluoxymesterone

Class: Anabolic steroid, a type of hormonal therapy. No other anabolic steroids are used to treat breast cancer.

How it works: Anabolic steroids lower the amount of estrogen in the body.

Uses: Halotestin is used to treat advanced-stage, hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer.

How it's given: Halotestin is taken orally as a pill.

Additional information: Halotestin is used only occasionally because other hormonal therapy medicines such as tamoxifen and the aromatase inhibitors are generally more effective.

Side effects:

headache
    facial hair growth
    nausea
    acne
    anxiety
    insomnia

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/druglist/halotestin.jsp

Hope this helps,

Doris
  • Pinky68
    Pinky68 Member Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    SIROD said:

Testosterone
    Hi,

I've been sort of looking at this very old drug used in treating breast cancer. I did find some information on breastcancer.org which I have included in this post.

My sister's late mother-in-law who was dealing with breast cancer recurrences in the nineteen seventies did use this drug. She had used Tamoxifen and when that failed used testosterone. (Aromatase Inhibitors or Faslodex were not on the market and wouldn't be for almost several decades at that time.) On another site, a women was asking what else her mother could use and listed having used Testosterone for 18 months with excellent quality of life. I was surprise to learn it was still in use. I do know that this drug can have masculinizing effects--deepening voice, facial hair.

I've used all the hormonal drugs (Tamoxifen, Arimidex, Faslodex (250 mg) Femara, Femara (rebooting failed) and Faslodex (500 mg) last scan showed "stable". The only one left is Aromasin and it is to close to Femara for me to consider at this time. I do hope in the future to buy time with Aromasin & Afinitor. I will be asking my oncologist about using Testosterone as another possibility when Faslodex fails. For me, I believe hormonal drugs are what works on my slow growing cancer.

Brand name: Halotestin

Chemical name: Fluoxymesterone

Class: Anabolic steroid, a type of hormonal therapy. No other anabolic steroids are used to treat breast cancer.

How it works: Anabolic steroids lower the amount of estrogen in the body.

Uses: Halotestin is used to treat advanced-stage, hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer.

How it's given: Halotestin is taken orally as a pill.

Additional information: Halotestin is used only occasionally because other hormonal therapy medicines such as tamoxifen and the aromatase inhibitors are generally more effective.

Side effects:

headache
    facial hair growth
    nausea
    acne
    anxiety
    insomnia

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/druglist/halotestin.jsp

Hope this helps,

Doris

Megace
    I started a post last week regarding Megace...My onco has me on that instead of Tamoxifen. I'm er+at99% and er+ at70%....I'm going to be getting a second opinion about this. I hope my onco has me on the correct med since noone else on here seems to take Megace......But I don't have SE with it and It took care of my hot flashes I was getting from chemo induced menopause.... Maybe ask your onco about Megace? I just don't know much about it. I sure hope you can find something to make you feel better....Let us know, and have a happy Wednesday!!
    Blessings, Joyce