Anyone had HAI

I hv stage iv colon have hd numerous surgeries and chemo now being offered HAI to the liver??

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Go For It!
    I had it done in Sept 2004. It did the trick. No liver problems since surgery.
    What, where, and by who(m) might it be done by?
    -p
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    HAI
    Can't recall hearing HAI before. What is it?
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Doc_Hawk said:

HAI
    Can't recall hearing HAI before. What is it?

Hepatic Artery Infusion
    It's method of treating disease to the liver through the use of an implantable pump that delivers chemo directly to the liver via a catheter.
    (See photo) Some doctors use it, other's claim it's too antiquated as far as treatment goes. I know is that my onc is one of the ones who pioneered the procedure and she has very many patients who are/were stage IV and are around 5-10+ years and many are NED/cured/clear.
    I had brought this up to my onc (that some doctors say it's dinosaur technology) and she said "I hears that too...but many of my patients are still around..."

My pump in still in there even though it has not been used since March, 2005. Once it's taken out it can not be put back in due to scar tissue so I figure to leave it in just in case. My liver has been fine since the resection/treatment.
    -p
  • Goldie1
    Goldie1 Member Posts: 264 Member
    PhillieG said:

Hepatic Artery Infusion
    It's method of treating disease to the liver through the use of an implantable pump that delivers chemo directly to the liver via a catheter.
    (See photo) Some doctors use it, other's claim it's too antiquated as far as treatment goes. I know is that my onc is one of the ones who pioneered the procedure and she has very many patients who are/were stage IV and are around 5-10+ years and many are NED/cured/clear.
    I had brought this up to my onc (that some doctors say it's dinosaur technology) and she said "I hears that too...but many of my patients are still around..."

My pump in still in there even though it has not been used since March, 2005. Once it's taken out it can not be put back in due to scar tissue so I figure to leave it in just in case. My liver has been fine since the resection/treatment.
    -p

HAI
    My husband's oncologist referred us to a new doctor to see if he is eligible for Radio Frequency Ablation therapy for the mets in his liver, which at this point, he is not. I then asked the doc about HAI but he is leaning towards Chemoembolization,

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=chemoembol

We have an appointment with the oncologist next week to discuss this option for treatment of the liver mets and if the oncologist agrees, then my husband is more than willing to go for it.

Ellen