More News on Bill

deb824
deb824 Member Posts: 21
Well I went to see Bill for the first time since he is awake and alert. He is very confused. When I walked into his room I thought he would be so happy to see me, but he actually had no expression at all. He can't talk because the vent is still in. So he gestures for me to try and understand what he wants, which is quite difficult. His surgeon told him this morning about his 3 surgeries but I do not know how much he understood. The nurses say he does not realize how long he has been in the ICU. (2 weeks today) I know it will take time but this is almost harder than when he was sedated and just laying there. Of course its hardest on Bill, my heart breaks to see him like this. He keeps looking at his ravaged body trying to figure out what the heck has been happening. His one arm is bandaged because of blisters that broke and are infected. His hands are so blown up and swollen he can hardly move them. He tried to write to me and his nurse but couldn't write anything coherent. I do not know if he even realizes he is in the icu, because he asked for a bell to call the nurse....Anyone have any experience with this? I am sure it will get better day by day, it will just take time love and patience. Thanks for listening.
Deb

Comments

• Brenda Bricco
    Brenda Bricco Member Posts: 579 Member
    I was in a coma for a month
    I was in a coma for a month and on the ventilator even longer.
    He will be confused for a while but will come around more everyday. He will be very frustrated with not being able to tell you what he needs so here are the things that really ticked me off... I would be hot or cold and no one could figure out what I was trying to say. I would be thirsty or feel constipated and wouldn't be able to tell anyone how I was feeling. Ask him questions and let him shake his head or blink his eyes. I know it can be frustrating but don't give up on trying to figure out what he needs or wants. Being weaned off of the vent is very scary, just tell him to stay calm and think about breathing trhough a big straw or a snorkel is he has ever snorkeled. Hold his hand and tell him how glad you are that he is with you. When he gets frustrated stay calm and just try to figure out what he needs. I know how tired a caregiver can get, that is the role I have now. Bless you for all you are doing Deb, I will say and extra prayer for you tonight. GOD bless you.
    Brenda
  • lauragb
    lauragb Member Posts: 370 Member
    I was without electricity
    I was without electricity for 11 days, and am finally sorting through some of these threads. I remember reading when you all thought Bill might have a blockage but was unaware how his situation escalated. Anyway, I just want you to know I'm another person sending light and prayers your way, to Bill, you, his family. So much to go through but heading in a healing direction.

Laura
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    It's Tough
    I felt like I was hit by a Mack Truck, then thrown down a flight of stairs when I had my first surgery. I'm not surprised your husband's feeling as he is. It's tough for sure, I hope he pulls through quickly and it will soon it will just be an unpleasant memory.
    Just try to make sure he gets the best care possible. Be his advocate if you can...
    -phil
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Trying
    This has to be such a trying time for you. Glad you were able to see him. Hope that things go better with upcoming treatment.

Kim