Will Other Discussion Boards Help or Hinder

Vickilg
Vickilg Member Posts: 281 Member
Hi there... Now that I am dealing with mets to the lungs I was wondering if the Lung Discussion Board would be helpful or not since this is metastic rectal cancer. I do not want to scare myself anymore than I already am but this board is always so helpful I was wondering if the other board would help too.

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Could be...
    could not too. They are two different beasts from what I understand. I've heard many times of people who's primary cancer is lung cancer and they often don't do very well. I'm sure people on that forum hear stories about us too. I do think it makes a difference as to what one's primary cancer is though.
    It could open up other avenues of treatment but keep in mind that they aren't really the same cancer.

There, that was a rather indecisive answer for you!
    -phil
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    lung mets
    It's a good question. Might help with the kinds of surgical procedures that are out there for lung mets. The chemos and protocols are different. My radiation onc said that SBRT on mCRC mets in lungs is usually more effective that on primary lung cancer nodules.

I've usually found that info on lung mets and CRC is readily available from folks on the CRC message boards (a poignant example of the fact that 1 in 2 men or 3 women will get cancer in their lifetime). I have stage 4 rectal with lung mets.

Hope that helps,
    Leslie
  • Vickilg
    Vickilg Member Posts: 281 Member
    PhillieG said:

Could be...
    could not too. They are two different beasts from what I understand. I've heard many times of people who's primary cancer is lung cancer and they often don't do very well. I'm sure people on that forum hear stories about us too. I do think it makes a difference as to what one's primary cancer is though.
    It could open up other avenues of treatment but keep in mind that they aren't really the same cancer.

There, that was a rather indecisive answer for you!
    -phil

Staying Here
    Okay, I am staying here. Lord knows I don't need to be confused or scared by this cancer any more than I already am.
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Vickilg said:

Staying Here
    Okay, I am staying here. Lord knows I don't need to be confused or scared by this cancer any more than I already am.

Les....just curious did you
    Les....just curious did you get mets in your liver before you got lung mets?? Or did it show up straight to your lungs. Vicki...see probably even the difference in how colon and rectal spreads is gonna come up.... I have colon cancer, can it go straight to my lungs or is it more likely to show up in my liver first...I ask this question because my onc. doesn't seem concerned with lungs but he scans my abdomen his focus seems to be on those two lymph nodes and the liver ....righ now I could probably have a golfball size tumor in my chest and we wouldn't know!!!!
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    smokeyjoe said:

Les....just curious did you
    Les....just curious did you get mets in your liver before you got lung mets?? Or did it show up straight to your lungs. Vicki...see probably even the difference in how colon and rectal spreads is gonna come up.... I have colon cancer, can it go straight to my lungs or is it more likely to show up in my liver first...I ask this question because my onc. doesn't seem concerned with lungs but he scans my abdomen his focus seems to be on those two lymph nodes and the liver ....righ now I could probably have a golfball size tumor in my chest and we wouldn't know!!!!

smokeyjoe
    I had one liver met when I was diagnosed in 5/08. The 4 lung mets showed up 6/10. SBRT 1/11. Doing well, in remission, but after CT last week am scheduled for surgery end of July to remove a radiated RLL nodule <2cm which is very slowly growing and explore the L moderate pleural effusion.

Hope that helps,
    Leslie
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    Vickilg said:

Staying Here

CRC vs Lung
    As Phil noted, these are two different critters all together. My onc told me on our first meeting in 5/10 that if it had started in the lung and spread to the colon that I wouldn't be around for Christmas. So, just like the survivors that we have here offer us hope that some day we might be NED, the same thing may happen on the Lung board.

That said, for now it's probably best that you don't confuse or scare yourself anymore than possible.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    i would try them, we are great for colorectal
    as phil aid they ae different cancers with different prognosis and behaviurs as i understand it.

the lady who runs my bowel cancer support group also runs the lung cancer group. i will ask her.

its a good question, if still think the treatments offered by conventional are aligned with primary cancer and thats based on its genetic make up.

but if your interested try the waters, read the posts, reply if you want.

if you are interested in the alternative space then curezone is massive.

i guess it depends on what you want out of the discussion board. ie care and support, or advice about alternatives or advice about treatments.

hugs,
    pete
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member

i would try them, we are great for colorectal
    as phil aid they ae different cancers with different prognosis and behaviurs as i understand it.

the lady who runs my bowel cancer support group also runs the lung cancer group. i will ask her.

its a good question, if still think the treatments offered by conventional are aligned with primary cancer and thats based on its genetic make up.

but if your interested try the waters, read the posts, reply if you want.

if you are interested in the alternative space then curezone is massive.

i guess it depends on what you want out of the discussion board. ie care and support, or advice about alternatives or advice about treatments.

hugs,
    pete

Thanks for the answer
    Thanks for the answer Les....I suppose it seems more likely to show up in liver first....like Craig says "the colon cancer train"......