Liver Resection

Aloha all from beautiful hot Daegu S. Korea. I have a question for all that have had liver resection. What can I expect? Since I have done just about everything in my life full tilt, I was blessed with a cancer that did spread to my liver, in fact my liver at one time looked like a chess board, or one of my wonderful grandmother's quilts... Treatment has shrunk the spots on my liver to a point where now the surgeons are talking about surgery and I was wondering what I can expect. I donated to the Korean hospital about 9 inches of my colon in January.

Any advice would be so much appreciated. I had heard that 60 percent of resection patients die of liver failure and I hope that is not the truth.

God bless, Happy 4th (Belated) and THANKS!

John

Comments

• Vickilg
    Vickilg Member Posts: 281 Member
    John!
    Hi, John!

I am so happy for you that they are doing the liver resection. Don't worry - you got this!

Last year they went in and removed one spot. I really didn't feel much from it has I has having a rectal resection at the same time and that was more of an adjustment. In January of this year, another spot appear and I had ablation done. Very easy however in my case it didn't work. So... a few weeks ago, I had open surgery to take out the entire left side of my liver. Right now I get tired because the right side of the liver grows to make up for the missing left side so it zaps your energy but nothing you cannot handle. The pain for me is from the incision and it is manageable with pain pills and more of a nuisance then anything else because here I am feeling fine and then all of a sudden it gets achy where the incision is and I hate being tired.

I had not heard of the 60% liver failure but from what I have read a liver resection seems to be easy to recoup from. You will do just fine. Best wishes!
  • Brenda Bricco
    Brenda Bricco Member Posts: 579 Member
    John, my Husband just had
    John, my Husband just had 65% of his liver resected back in February and did just fine. The numbers he was given was a mortality rate of 4%. You are strong, you can do it!
    GOD's blssings to you.
    Brenda
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Hi John
    Not sure where you got the 60% failure. You may want to check your source and see how old those stats are.

In the 2 years I have been on the board there have been lots of resections done on our members. I can recall only one that suffered liver failure.

There are many factors which impact the success of any operation, not the least of which is the experience of your surgeon.

Glad to hear that you are a candidate and pray that all goes well for you with a swift and easy recovery.

Marie who loves kitties
  • jjaj133
    jjaj133 Member Posts: 867 Member
    John, you will be fine. Glad
    John, you will be fine. Glad i didn't hear those stats.
    I have been lucky enough to have 2 livers resects. the last one May of last year. Sore, of course, but like everything else it takes time to heal. I am fine and I am a lot older than you. Do what the docs. tell you after. That is so important. I caused myself problems because i decided i needed to scrub the bathroom-on my hands and knees. Not a good idea. dumb, dumb dumb.
    Good Luck,
    Judy
  • TheDirtyColon
    TheDirtyColon Member Posts: 13
    jjaj133 said:

John, you will be fine. Glad
    John, you will be fine. Glad i didn't hear those stats.
    I have been lucky enough to have 2 livers resects. the last one May of last year. Sore, of course, but like everything else it takes time to heal. I am fine and I am a lot older than you. Do what the docs. tell you after. That is so important. I caused myself problems because i decided i needed to scrub the bathroom-on my hands and knees. Not a good idea. dumb, dumb dumb.
    Good Luck,
    Judy

Thanks
    Thank you all for the comments and stories. You all have definitely made me feel better about what is coming down the pike. God bless you all and I hope you all have a great weekend!!!

John
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

Thanks
    Thank you all for the comments and stories. You all have definitely made me feel better about what is coming down the pike. God bless you all and I hope you all have a great weekend!!!

John

John mortality ratio is about a 2% !
    So you are managing wrong info, I had my resection 3 years ago!
    Hugs and prayers !