Options
2»

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    No Port - for Oxaliplatin?
    Helen?

I would reconsider your position on taking IV chemo without a port...Oxaliplatin is extremely caustic to the veins and your veins where the needle is inserted and all up and down your hands to your elbow could being hurting badly.

My doctors never told me about I needed one, so I did my first Oxy through the vein in the hand...and before the 2 hours, it hurt like the dickens...It won't take but one bad experience here and you'll be opting for a port.

As for the 2 hour infusion time, this is what you will start out with - but be prepared to lengthen the time of the infusion (if necessary) as your treatments progress. Side effects are managed through a reduced dosage if warranted and infusion times lengthened to ease the tranmission of chemicals into the body with a reduced reaction.

Just wanted to make you aware of this possible condition.

-Craig
  • deb824
    deb824 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

No Port - for Oxaliplatin?
    Helen?

I would reconsider your position on taking IV chemo without a port...Oxaliplatin is extremely caustic to the veins and your veins where the needle is inserted and all up and down your hands to your elbow could being hurting badly.

My doctors never told me about I needed one, so I did my first Oxy through the vein in the hand...and before the 2 hours, it hurt like the dickens...It won't take but one bad experience here and you'll be opting for a port.

As for the 2 hour infusion time, this is what you will start out with - but be prepared to lengthen the time of the infusion (if necessary) as your treatments progress. Side effects are managed through a reduced dosage if warranted and infusion times lengthened to ease the tranmission of chemicals into the body with a reduced reaction.

Just wanted to make you aware of this possible condition.

-Craig

Hey Helen
    Good luck today. I will be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

Deb