Weird Question-But What Clothes to Wear To Port Surgery?

CMW48
CMW48 Member Posts: 11
I'm having my port put in on Tuesday and they say I won't be able to raise or straighten my arms for a month. So, would button up shirts be best to wear? If so I will need to buy some as nearly all mine are pull overs. What about wearing a bra- will that be painful? What is your advice? Thanks for answering silly questions!

Comments

• Monicalynn
    Monicalynn Member Posts: 61
    There are no silly questions
    There are no silly questions :) I had my port put in a couple months ago and used a tank top and pull over shirt, If I would have been thinking I would have just used my button up shirt because it hurt to take off my shirt later. To me it felt like a bad bruise and said to take it easy for just a few days then can work daily activities in at a pace that was comfortable for me. Mine was inserted on the left side below my collar bone and within a few days I was fine to put on pull over shirts with ease.
  • CMW48

There are no silly questions
    There are no silly questions :) I had my port put in a couple months ago and used a tank top and pull over shirt, If I would have been thinking I would have just used my button up shirt because it hurt to take off my shirt later. To me it felt like a bad bruise and said to take it easy for just a few days then can work daily activities in at a pace that was comfortable for me. Mine was inserted on the left side below my collar bone and within a few days I was fine to put on pull over shirts with ease.

Thanks for the info! I had
    Thanks for the info! I had thought about a tank top too but now am thinking of just a button up, which I hope will be easy on, easy off. Funny that my port booklet doesn't address this topic at all.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Whatever you normally wear
    I wore a tanktop and jeans. I was back riding and giving riding lessons 2 days after implant. Had started chemo the next day after implant. Hubby and Son took over all heavy barn chores (carrying hay, water and mucking) for 2 weeks for me.

Yes, the area was a bit tender for a while but not bad at all and basically ROM was not limited at all. I have read some say they had an incision where the port itself was put and another higher/along neck - I had 1 incision about an inch long. There were no external stitches - just internal. I didn't have any external stitches with my mast. either. Different Drs use different techniques.

Always remember, we can each give our experiences with TX but that is our individual experience - not what you or anyone else will experience.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

PS - Ask if your Center has numbing spray. If they don't ask for a script for EMLA cream (or generic). It takes the pain away when the port is accessed. Long story short - my Center had the spray but I had an access in the hospital without any and it hurt worse than using a hand vein. Since then I've had EMLA cream for all my flushes.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Rague said:

I wore a tanktop and jeans. I was back riding and giving riding lessons 2 days after implant. Had started chemo the next day after implant. Hubby and Son took over all heavy barn chores (carrying hay, water and mucking) for 2 weeks for me.

Yes, the area was a bit tender for a while but not bad at all and basically ROM was not limited at all. I have read some say they had an incision where the port itself was put and another higher/along neck - I had 1 incision about an inch long. There were no external stitches - just internal. I didn't have any external stitches with my mast. either. Different Drs use different techniques.

Always remember, we can each give our experiences with TX but that is our individual experience - not what you or anyone else will experience.

Susan

PS - Ask if your Center has numbing spray. If they don't ask for a script for EMLA cream (or generic). It takes the pain away when the port is accessed. Long story short - my Center had the spray but I had an access in the hospital without any and it hurt worse than using a hand vein. Since then I've had EMLA cream for all my flushes.

Who...
    Who told you you wouldn't be able to lift your arms for a month?? Are you meaning after the port is put in? I've never heard that from anyone on this board who have or had a port....could you be mistaken? Mine was done under conscious sedation...GREAT stuff....I was out of where I had it done, within 90 minutes .....yes, it was tender for about a week..never had need to take anything......I had it on my left side...my choice, right under the clavicle bone..so an incision there for the actual port and a tiny incision right above my clavicle for the "tube" ...both places were super glued with just a bandaid over each... I was back to normal the next day...

I actually took button down the front PJ's to wear home ...didn't want to have to change again....a port is a blessing...as Susan said MAKE sure you get a prescription for numbing cream....I put mine on and I really put it on thick, about 1-2 hours prior to chemo, cover it with a square of press and seal so the cream doesn't rub off onto my clothes thus reducing the effectiveness .....I have yet, by doing this, to feel them accessing the port..again, a blessing..

I wish you the very best with the port implantation and your upcoming treatment.....please keep us posted on your progress...we really care..
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Rague
    Who are "they"M
    Somehow I missed you saying "they" told you that you couldn't straighten or raise your ARMS. Who are "they"?

Ports are little things that are place usually just below the clavical (can be in arms) on the non-CA side. Has nothing to do with the other side. Has nothing to with straightening the arm. Yes initially for some it might take a day or 2/few to all ROM back (and we are all different as is the skill of our surgeons) but to not be able to move the arm on non-port side - makes no sense at all.

Mine is just inside where my bra strap is so I've had no problem at all. It was put in Aug 25, '09 and is still in and it gets flushed monthly.

Nancy.mentioned the time frame to put the EMLA cream on. It's nnot the same for all of us. For me the max. Numbing is between 20 min and 40 min. After that I loose the numbing. We are all different. Hint - put a piece of 'Saran' wrap over the area. It helps it penetrate and keeps it from getting on clothes.

Susan
  • Rague
    MAJW said:

Who...
    Who told you you wouldn't be able to lift your arms for a month?? Are you meaning after the port is put in? I've never heard that from anyone on this board who have or had a port....could you be mistaken? Mine was done under conscious sedation...GREAT stuff....I was out of where I had it done, within 90 minutes .....yes, it was tender for about a week..never had need to take anything......I had it on my left side...my choice, right under the clavicle bone..so an incision there for the actual port and a tiny incision right above my clavicle for the "tube" ...both places were super glued with just a bandaid over each... I was back to normal the next day...

I actually took button down the front PJ's to wear home ...didn't want to have to change again....a port is a blessing...as Susan said MAKE sure you get a prescription for numbing cream....I put mine on and I really put it on thick, about 1-2 hours prior to chemo, cover it with a square of press and seal so the cream doesn't rub off onto my clothes thus reducing the effectiveness .....I have yet, by doing this, to feel them accessing the port..again, a blessing..

I wish you the very best with the port implantation and your upcoming treatment.....please keep us posted on your progress...we really care..
    Hugs, Nancy

2 incisions?
    You had 2 incisions? I didn't. I was also totally knocked out in the hospital OR. But me being the weird me I am, I woke up in time to see the surgeon walking out the door. He went to talk to Hubby and told him it'd be a while so go do something. Wrong - I went straight to discharge and they called Hubby to come get me while he was still in the parking lot (he was headed to feed horses but we both went).

Isn't it great how different we all are,

Susan
  • CMW48
    Rague said:

Who are "they"M
    Somehow I missed you saying "they" told you that you couldn't straighten or raise your ARMS. Who are "they"?

Ports are little things that are place usually just below the clavical (can be in arms) on the non-CA side. Has nothing to do with the other side. Has nothing to with straightening the arm. Yes initially for some it might take a day or 2/few to all ROM back (and we are all different as is the skill of our surgeons) but to not be able to move the arm on non-port side - makes no sense at all.

Mine is just inside where my bra strap is so I've had no problem at all. It was put in Aug 25, '09 and is still in and it gets flushed monthly.

Nancy.mentioned the time frame to put the EMLA cream on. It's nnot the same for all of us. For me the max. Numbing is between 20 min and 40 min. After that I loose the numbing. We are all different. Hint - put a piece of 'Saran' wrap over the area. It helps it penetrate and keeps it from getting on clothes.

Susan

Thanks for the insight into
    Thanks for the insight into your port experiences. "They" is the booklet and the member of the surgical team that I had a pre-op meeting with. She told me specifically that I cannot lift more than 20 lbs for three weeks or raise my arms over my head nor stretch them out straight in front of me for four weeks, plus it is in the booklet.

I also cannot shower for 48 hours, then shower with bandage on, get it wet so it will be easier to come off, then after shower replace the bandage for another 24 hours then shower again and remove it. The tape that will be left behind will cover the internal sutures which will dissolve on their own, the tape I am to keep trimmed as it 'curls' and naturally removes itself from my skin - I am not to remove it myself at all.

They did say they would give me a prescrip for a numbing cream that I am to put on one hour before any procedure using the port, and to cover it with plastic wrap so it will stay on the port. Also, I have to visit the port clinic every time before any blood draw so now I will be showing up even earlier to all my visits because they draw blood every time.

I have already had two sessions of chemo - Taxol, a high dose - and will receive the third when I get my port this Tuesday. I sure hope I do better next week as I had horrible muscle cramping/spasms all night Thursday and all day Friday. Wondering if it could be from the steroids they're giving me - a high dose as well.

Thanks again, for replying. I do see how everyone is different, I just started thinking about how it will hurt (since I've been hurting so much the past few days) and was wondering what I could wear to make it easier on myself. Pajamas sounds pretty good right now! :)
  • Rague
    CMW48 said:

Thanks for the insight into
    Thanks for the insight into your port experiences. "They" is the booklet and the member of the surgical team that I had a pre-op meeting with. She told me specifically that I cannot lift more than 20 lbs for three weeks or raise my arms over my head nor stretch them out straight in front of me for four weeks, plus it is in the booklet.

I also cannot shower for 48 hours, then shower with bandage on, get it wet so it will be easier to come off, then after shower replace the bandage for another 24 hours then shower again and remove it. The tape that will be left behind will cover the internal sutures which will dissolve on their own, the tape I am to keep trimmed as it 'curls' and naturally removes itself from my skin - I am not to remove it myself at all.

They did say they would give me a prescrip for a numbing cream that I am to put on one hour before any procedure using the port, and to cover it with plastic wrap so it will stay on the port. Also, I have to visit the port clinic every time before any blood draw so now I will be showing up even earlier to all my visits because they draw blood every time.

I have already had two sessions of chemo - Taxol, a high dose - and will receive the third when I get my port this Tuesday. I sure hope I do better next week as I had horrible muscle cramping/spasms all night Thursday and all day Friday. Wondering if it could be from the steroids they're giving me - a high dose as well.

Thanks again, for replying. I do see how everyone is different, I just started thinking about how it will hurt (since I've been hurting so much the past few days) and was wondering what I could wear to make it easier on myself. Pajamas sounds pretty good right now! :)

I left the hospital with a
    I left the hospital with a bandaid over the incision. I had my first A/C the next day after it was implanted so the bandaid was removed then and told not to worry about it.

Blood draw before chemo is normal to be sure you are OK to do it. My port was never accessed for draws as my vein is great so easier to just hit it than to have an RN come out to access/flush the port for the tech for the draw. For me, my port has only been accesssed 3 times other than for the 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly Taxol and monthly flushes. It was used for a CAT at the hospital before starting Rads and they had no numbing spray and it HURT (it was earlier in the day than the last Taxol that day - the Center used numbing spray so didn't have the cream yet). The other 2 times were for my IV's for cataract surgery and I had used the cream. For me, the cream works best between 20 and 40 min after I put it on - by an hour it's definately worn/wearing off. I do a flush every month so have tried a lot of timeframes for me and that's what works fo me - BUT not all.

For me, I had no pain issues. A/C was not bad at all - Taxol was nasty - complete EXHAUSTION. Everybody is different - for some A/C is nasty and Taxol isn't. Some have nausea - some don't (I didn't); some gain weight - some loose (I lost).

Ask all your questions but do not expect to experience anything (or everything) anyone else has.

Susan
  • NancyJac
    NancyJac Member Posts: 91
    Who is "they"?
    Wow, I've never heard of any of that associated with having a port put in. Mine was put in as an outpatient surgery. I had no limitation on range of motion immediately after surgery. The port will be placed above your bra line, although there are some variations from surgeon to surgeon. Mine is fairly low but well above bra line. Some people whose ports were placed higher have complain of some minor discomfort from shoulder straps from bags, purses and seat belts. My advice would be wear whatever you find comfortable. I rarely wear button up shirts and while I don't recall what I wore for my port placement, I'd bet is was a tee shirt since that is mostly what I wear and find most comfortable.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Rague said:

Susan

No question is silly, not on
    No question is silly, not on here. Good luck!

Lex
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    CMW48 said:

Thanks for the info! I had
    Thanks for the info! I had thought about a tank top too but now am thinking of just a button up, which I hope will be easy on, easy off. Funny that my port booklet doesn't address this topic at all.

Lots of great advice here!
    Lots of great advice here! I didn't have chemo, so no port for me, but, wanted to say good luck.

Hugs, Jan
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Port vs Lumpectomy
    Port was much easier than the lumpectomy. Even the lumpectomy did not come with lots of lifting and moving restrictions and I had a drain because lymph nodes were taken. I did not like the seat belt for a while after it went in. I had to move the shoulder strap closer to my neck for a couple of weeks. That was all I noticed.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Rague said:

I left the hospital with a
    I left the hospital with a bandaid over the incision. I had my first A/C the next day after it was implanted so the bandaid was removed then and told not to worry about it.

Blood draw before chemo is normal to be sure you are OK to do it. My port was never accessed for draws as my vein is great so easier to just hit it than to have an RN come out to access/flush the port for the tech for the draw. For me, my port has only been accesssed 3 times other than for the 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly Taxol and monthly flushes. It was used for a CAT at the hospital before starting Rads and they had no numbing spray and it HURT (it was earlier in the day than the last Taxol that day - the Center used numbing spray so didn't have the cream yet). The other 2 times were for my IV's for cataract surgery and I had used the cream. For me, the cream works best between 20 and 40 min after I put it on - by an hour it's definately worn/wearing off. I do a flush every month so have tried a lot of timeframes for me and that's what works fo me - BUT not all.

For me, I had no pain issues. A/C was not bad at all - Taxol was nasty - complete EXHAUSTION. Everybody is different - for some A/C is nasty and Taxol isn't. Some have nausea - some don't (I didn't); some gain weight - some loose (I lost).

Ask all your questions but do not expect to experience anything (or everything) anyone else has.

Susan

How did it go? Everything
    How did it go? Everything ok?

Hugs, Debby
  • Melaniedoingwell
    Melaniedoingwell Member Posts: 80
    the insidious "they"
    I have to agree with what every one here has said and add "they" don't know what they are talking about!!

My port area was tender - and sometimes (over a year later)it will hurt. NOTHING horrible, just uncomfortable. ON the positive side; my veins are in great shape!!! Yay!

I suggest you monitor carefully what people will tell you. Feel free to ask here because you will get a range of answers from people who know from personal experience what they are talking about. Out there in the "real" world - I swear people talk out of their elbow with absolutely zero knowledge or experience!

Keep your head up and your attitude as calm and positive as you can!!