Round 1 Complete...

Hello to all my brave warriors today!

I am finally home from the hospital after my first round of surgeries and wanted to share. :)

First things first - The pathology on the tumor removed from my tongue last Thursday came back with clear margins yesterday, very relieved and grateful.

Anyway, so I had the tongue removal and trach put in on Thursday, and the following Monday they removed my nose tube and put a g-tube in. I spent a week in the hospital but finally back home for awhile. Next surgery is scheduled for July 9th. The surgeon will then complete everything else with the neck dissection/lymph nodes and tongue reconstruction. Still very sore, man how we take our stomach muscles for grated, among other things but, Lord. It's crazy how much effort it takes now to cough up the phlegm, turn, sit up in bed, lift, ... holy moly. :)

SO, yeah, I am feeling better ever day, getting used to feeding and cleaning myself differently, but knowing that this is all temporary is a wonderful thing. No complaints here, I a so happy to be back with my wife and two boys. And wow, how resilient a 5 and 6 yr old can be. Just like im the same old dad to them, helping out more and so sweet to me in the hospital.

Anyway, feeling so blessed today and wanted to thank all of you here who gave me courage so far to make it to thins point, and continure to move forward.

#muchlove,

Bob

Comments

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    I love your positivity, Bob!!
    It is contagious :). Congrats on the clean margins....aren't they wonderful words? This isn't an easy row to hoe, but your great attitude will make it easier.

p
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Congrats....
    I'm sure it's definitely a relief to you and your family...

Best,
    John
  • Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    so pleased
    to read your update..we're all thinking of you and wishing you and your family well
  • Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    Grandmax4 said:

so pleased
    to read your update..we're all thinking of you and wishing you and your family well

good to hear from you
    Hi Bob,
    such great news ! I'm so happy for you. And the tone of your post is just wonderfully upbeat, like P51 says.

Enjoy your time with your wife and the little ones -- they are great "fetchers" and they will love to help bring you things I'm sure....more pillows, kleenex, books, matchbox cars, action figures, whatever.

Get some rest before your next round and keep up the good attitude.
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    round 1
    BarefootBob,

What a big start, what a good attitude. Sounds like you are jumping in (literally) head first. Sounds like a mix of favorable news, good deal.

Rest up and take care.

Best,

Matt
  • Tonsil Dad
    Tonsil Dad Member Posts: 488
    CivilMatt said:

round 1
    BarefootBob,

What a big start, what a good attitude. Sounds like you are jumping in (literally) head first. Sounds like a mix of favorable news, good deal.

Rest up and take care.

Best,

Matt

Happy 4 Ya.
    Good start Bob, I'm glad everything has started out well
    and hope it will continue to do so.

God bless
    Tonsil dad,

Dan.
  • nick770
    nick770 Member Posts: 195
    Congrats you on well on your
    Congrats you on well on your way to better health!!!
  • osmotar
    osmotar Member Posts: 1,006
    What
    What a great attitude you have Bob...good luck on your journey, know that you have friends here that support you.

Linda
  • NitaNita
    NitaNita Member Posts: 56
    osmotar said:

What
    What a great attitude you have Bob...good luck on your journey, know that you have friends here that support you.

Linda

Happy...
    So happy to see you on hear and that you are doing good! Will keep you in my prayers on the next surgery, you will do great!
  • katenorwood
    katenorwood Member Posts: 1,912
    Great attitude !
    Bob,
    Sounds like you have some wonderful (Daddy's little helpers !) So was good to hear clean margins...wonderful news ! Same for next surgery ! With your great attitude and wonderful support things can't but continue to move forward ! Warmest regards, Katie
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member

Great attitude !
    Bob,
    Sounds like you have some wonderful (Daddy's little helpers !) So was good to hear clean margins...wonderful news ! Same for next surgery ! With your great attitude and wonderful support things can't but continue to move forward ! Warmest regards, Katie

Happy for you Bob
    Great news...keep it up!!!

Best,

Tim
  • ooo
    ooo Member Posts: 105
    Barefoot or not, you're
    Barefoot or not, you're going to make it to the top of this mountain. Go Bob! :)