Oxliplatin

Options
belindahill
belindahill Member Posts: 144
Hi all, my husband had an apt to see his oncologist today, just finished his 19th cycle of oxy, avastin and xeloda. He will not be able to have anymore oxy, so oncologist said will have scan end of July, and see how tumors are doing, one in liver one in lung and 2 in peritoneum. The chemo has been working, to keep things stable, but things do progress when on chemo break. Has anyone just received avastin and xeloda with good results. Hoping all are ok, and good news for all.

Comments

• joemetz
    joemetz Member Posts: 493
    Options
    maintenance
    sounds like they are going to just Avastin and the other for maintenance.

curious... why are they stopping him from having more Oxi?
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    joemetz said:

maintenance
    sounds like they are going to just Avastin and the other for maintenance.

curious... why are they stopping him from having more Oxi?

hello
    i have been on xeloda and avastin for about 3 months.my platelets lowered some so they adjusted my dosage.i have had one ct scan since being on this cocktail and all tumors in both lungs are stable and no new tumors in my liver.so this seems it is working for me.good luck....Godbless...johnnybegood
  • steved
    steved Member Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Done it
    I had a funny reaction to oxaliplatin so my oncologicit reviewed the literature and found a recent study suggestion avastin and xeloda alone have good efficacy. have been on that for the last 6 months with two weekly cycles. Seems to be holding my tumour okay. Don't think it has much evidence of shrinking cancer but good at stoppping it growing or spreading elsewhere.

Other options are irinotecan and cetuximab. Beyond that you are into the more experimental realms of rogerafenib and aflibercept.

Personally find avastin and xeloda a great combination with regard to minimal side effects and good quality of life while on it,

steve
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Xeloda and Avastin
    I had very good results with those two, I forget when I got off the oxy, but had been on Xeloda and Avastin for about a year and a half(I think 6 months of it was with Oxy) then went on Avastin only (couldn't afford the Xeloda anymore)for 6 months. The way the onc explained the Avastin is that it is biological warfare on the tumors, it suffocates the blood stream to them as it targets only the tumors. I've been off all chemo now for about 3 months I think. The funny thing (I realized when it came out of my mouth) when I was talking to the gerontologist a month ago was that I told him, since I had been off Avastin I don't feel as well as when I was on it, funny thing my body missing the Avastin.
    Here's to those tumors being kept at bay.
    Winter Marie