Options
2»

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    NancyJac said:

Hi Susan
    My therapist is certified specifically for lymphedema. She did say that at some point she would be teaching me how to do MLD. Having a hard time imagining how I am going to do it on myself though because some of what she is doing is on my back and I wouldn't be able to reach. Since I don't actually have lymphedema, she isn't using compression garments but did mention a couple of scenarios where they might be useful as a preventative (heavy lifting and flying on an airplane).

I think this sounds like a
    I think this sounds like a great idea. I don't know, but, might it help you from getting lymphedema? Keep us posted how it goes.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    debsweb18 said:

I recommend it. I went after
    I recommend it. I went after my radiation treatments were over. I was lucky and found a therapist specializing in Lymphedema a mile from my office. I went for range of motion but got quite an education about Lymphedema. The only thing I knew before was not to get blood pressure or blood taken from my right arm. I've never had it, but I learned how to prevent it.

You are right, never get
    You are right, never get blood drawn, blood pressure taken or anything to your arm on the side where you had nodes taken out.
  • jbmccon24
    jbmccon24 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    lymphatic massage.
    I loved going and I felt much better. My therapist was able to break up the cording and really worked hard on my range of motion. I always felt much better after I left and was pretty disappointed when my sessions ran out. If you are given the option to go do it! Prevention is the best defensive and you want that arm in tip top working order!
  • NancyJac
    NancyJac Member Posts: 91
    Options
    jbmccon24 said:

lymphatic massage.
    I loved going and I felt much better. My therapist was able to break up the cording and really worked hard on my range of motion. I always felt much better after I left and was pretty disappointed when my sessions ran out. If you are given the option to go do it! Prevention is the best defensive and you want that arm in tip top working order!

I'm hoping I will enjoy it
    I'm hoping I will enjoy it more once I have healed a bit from radiation. Right now, getting massaged where my skin is burned and on top of surgical scares that are still healing is not really a lot of fun.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    NancyJac said:

You are absolutely right of course
    I am just so sick of all these different medical appointment that I am constantly having to arrange my life around.....I know....whine, whine, whine :-)

You aren't whining Nancy.
    You aren't whining Nancy. You echo what we all say and think. It seems sometimes all we do is go to doctor appointments, but, I guess I look at it this way, I'd rather keep going and be checked out, then to let something slip by.

I really love your avatar!

Hugs, Leeza