Only 32 more and I can

Options
ditto1
ditto1 Member Posts: 660
ring the bell. Yes my friends I had my 1st RAD treatment today. It went well considering it was about 30 minutes vs 15 on the future visits. But again thanks to this site I was a little more mentally ready. I remember some post commenting about the mask being tighter than they recall from the fitting. I felt that as well, I asked them to please remove it and it took a minute then I had them put it back on and made it the rest of the way. I thought they would have the eye holes cut out but they had not. I decided after treatment its likely I will be fine with the MASK as is, they can cut them out if I change my mind. So part of me is very excited that I have made the next step and the other part is nervous knowing what is likely in front of me. But its the road we have to travel and with this site at least Im aware of what to expect. So just wanted to share considering the MASK has kind of been my Monster in the Closet since finding out about it. RAD doc said my tumors have shrunk over 50% just from the 3 chemo treatments so he believes we are heading for some good results, I hope so. Promise no more MASK blogs until I ring the bell.

Comments

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Alrighty then...we're on the road once again!! :)
    The first one is the hardest...REALLY!! For me after the first 5 or so, it got much easier to walk down that hall. It got to the point that just as I was dozing off, the session was over. Then the week was over, and I'd breath a sigh of relief because I had two days off...didn't have to go anywhere. The 7 or so weeks of rads was just as described by Skiffen...ground hog days...everyday the same, you know precisely what's happening, how long it will take...then home again.

Congrats on the tumor shrinkage...aren't those great words to hear??? Yeeeaaahhhh!!!

p

PS...you can talk about the mask anytime...your Monster in the Closet. I knew how nervous you've been this whole time about it...but had NO DOUBT in my mind that you would overcome...and you DID!! :)
  • katenorwood
    katenorwood Member Posts: 1,912
    Options
    Way to go !
    ditto1,
    We all have our monsters in the closets around here. I'm so glad things went ok for your first rad. Now at least with the mask out of the way, things will go smoother for you ! By the way wonderful news on the tumors 50% is fantastic ! Hope all continues great for you.....til you ring the bell ! Warmest regards, Katie
  • hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    Mask
    Time will pass quicker than you think. Personally, I liked the eyes cut out because I watched the machine and knew exactly how far into the treatment I was and when they would open the door and say "ok raise your knees". Some days my face would be swollen and mask would be tighter. There are a couple of plexiglass sleeves under your head that can be pulled out to give a little more room. If extremely tight you might ask to have one removed. Good luck and hope you are one of those that breeze thru with few or no side effects.
  • hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    Mask
    Time will pass quicker than you think. Personally, I liked the eyes cut out because I watched the machine and knew exactly how far into the treatment I was and when they would open the door and say "ok raise your knees". Some days my face would be swollen and mask would be tighter. There are a couple of plexiglass sleeves under your head that can be pulled out to give a little more room. If extremely tight you might ask to have one removed. Good luck and hope you are one of those that breeze thru with few or no side effects.
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    good check in
    Hi ditto1,

Well the first one is done, good job!

If I had a choice I would opt for the eye holes. The view of the machine and the room was far cooler than the mesh of the mask. Mr. Mask made me extremely uncomfortable, so anything you want to do to feel better has got my vote. The taking of the mask off (when tight) always worked great for me (to get a perfect fit).

Good to hear about the shrinking tumors, you can not beat that.

Best,

Matt

I don’t know if Phrannie51 will let you drive the bus without eye holes in your mask.
  • ditto1
    ditto1 Member Posts: 660
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

good check in
    Hi ditto1,

Well the first one is done, good job!

If I had a choice I would opt for the eye holes. The view of the machine and the room was far cooler than the mesh of the mask. Mr. Mask made me extremely uncomfortable, so anything you want to do to feel better has got my vote. The taking of the mask off (when tight) always worked great for me (to get a perfect fit).

Good to hear about the shrinking tumors, you can not beat that.

Best,

Matt

I don’t know if Phrannie51 will let you drive the bus without eye holes in your mask.

Now thats funny
    I never thought of driving the bus with no eye holes. Maybe I will reconsider and have them cut out after all, might be nice to know I could open my eyes to the real world not just mesh.
  • Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    Options
    ditto1 said:

Now thats funny
    I never thought of driving the bus with no eye holes. Maybe I will reconsider and have them cut out after all, might be nice to know I could open my eyes to the real world not just mesh.

YIPPEE for you
    Ditto1, YIPPEE, day one is done.... and you DID it with flying colors. Good for you.

I asked for eye holes, but they said NO, doctor said needs the mesh tight across my face for rads (tongue cancer), so just tell them you have to drive the bus now because Phrannie got off. (So don't be surprised if they say no)

either way, you did really good.
  • boardwalkgirl
    boardwalkgirl Member Posts: 269
    Options
    Congrats on making it thru
    Congrats on making it thru day 1. I just celebrate every thing that I can come up with and it seems to make it seem like it is going faster that way. Today I am over 1/3 of the way done with radiation. 12 down, 23 to go. Yeah! Don't every worry about complaining about the mask, I think any body on here would understand. I have to talk my way thru it everyday.
  • Mrs. Sarge
    Mrs. Sarge Member Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Congrats on making it thru
    Congrats on making it thru day 1. I just celebrate every thing that I can come up with and it seems to make it seem like it is going faster that way. Today I am over 1/3 of the way done with radiation. 12 down, 23 to go. Yeah! Don't every worry about complaining about the mask, I think any body on here would understand. I have to talk my way thru it everyday.

Knew you could!
    Knew you could make it.....I agree the first is the worst!! I also noticed the mask fitting a tad tighter some days.....the eye holes out will help!! We're right there with you, Ditto!!
  • Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    Options
    Good for you!
    It does get easier--and more routine--from here on out. And double congrats on the tumors shrinking. That's awesome! :-)
  • nick770
    nick770 Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Laralyn said:

Good for you!
    It does get easier--and more routine--from here on out. And double congrats on the tumors shrinking. That's awesome! :-)

Great job
    Getting through the first one can be the worse my hope is for a quick rest of your treatment