Is this swallowing problem?

Options
Sam999
Sam999 Member Posts: 319 Member
I am almost done, my last rad is tommrow. I have been having tough time last couple of days. I had no mucus till last week so only had to deal with dry throat. I was hoping for little mucus as i thought will provide some lubricatjon, man! was sooo wrong! they both stay and decide when to appear without giving any warning to you!

I have mucus in ny throat, basicaly a globe is formed evefy 5-10 mins. Now when globe is there i cannot swallow anything! I have to remove thoe globe and use in between time to gulp something down. Also i am coughing pretty much non stop, somehow it has some mercy at night and i can get 4-5 hours of sleep.

So basically swallowing has become very hard. Is this the swallowing problem everyone talks about? It will stay like this for couple of weeks? I have no PEG so my water and nutriton needs to be thru mouth. Right now i am spending hours to finish one 15 smoothie and some butter milk ( watered down full fat yougut)

Are there any tricks to gulp down water and smoothie faster?

Thanks,
Sam

Comments

• Sooner79
    Sooner79 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Longer
    Sam, in my case I fought the mucus for at least 6 to eight weeks, beginning about when yours did. Unfortunately it will most likely get worse before it gets better (mine did). Were you not offered the option of a peg tube? I would never have made it without mine. I lost 70 lbs. WITH my peg tube, but there was a point a few weeks after my last rad. that I couldn't even swallow water, let alone food. Having it was no big deal and when you no longer need it, they literally just yank it out in the doctors office. I'd talk to your docs about it. Good luck!
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    I have to agree with Sooner on this....
    If it's getting that difficult to swallow, you may have to start thinking of a PEG...you absolutely HAVE to get your nutrician and your hydration...10 minutes between globs means you've got a hell of a lot of swallowing to do very quickly...and in my opinion (which is certainly a layman's point of view)...being in a hurry might not be all that safe...you truly do not want to accidently inhale anything.

Please do ask your Onc about this...if the mucous is going to get worse, it would better to get the tube sooner than later I'd think. Think of it as an insurance policy.

p
  • Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    Options
    talk to your doctor about the feeding tube
    Sam, talk to your docs. If they suggest a feeding tube, don't fight it. You HAVE to get the food and water somehow and if you can't swallow you wil not be able to get it orally. The PEG was a lifesaver for me, and as others have said-it is there for as long as you need it and when you don't, they literally just pull it out.

hope you get some help. Don't suffer any more than you have to.
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Ingrid K said:

talk to your doctor about the feeding tube
    Sam, talk to your docs. If they suggest a feeding tube, don't fight it. You HAVE to get the food and water somehow and if you can't swallow you wil not be able to get it orally. The PEG was a lifesaver for me, and as others have said-it is there for as long as you need it and when you don't, they literally just pull it out.

hope you get some help. Don't suffer any more than you have to.

Hi Sam ...
    Sooner said it best. I fought my mucous for 10 weeks ...it was hard and awful. BUT as you know every person is different and you may only go a few weeks. I hope it is that way for you. (hope I am not too negative here ...just think it's imporant to share my experience)

As I read your post I was sitting next to my wife and I "grunted" that grunt I do when I get frustrated. She asked "what is it" and I told her I don't understand why all doctors do NOT suggest strongly the feeding tube? Now I'm no doctor and I know we MUST use our swallowing muscles and all that stuff, just seems like it is a good insurance policy "if" it comes to it.

Like Sooner I lost 70lbs during treatment...had I not had my feeding tube, I would have been in trouble. I came to realize how valuable it was AFTER my rads...but my doctors suggested I get it before my treatments even bagan...and I did.

I wish there were some trick or way to get you to swallow...just going to have to in order to get noursied. I'm sure you have some and know this...but those high calorie / nutrition drink everybody talks about is what you need to take in to get nourished.

Keeping you on the prayer list!

Best,

Tim

Oh...don't forget about that suction machine a few have use with great results...you might can use that to help!!!
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Club Soda or Ginger Ale..
    Have you tried sipping either of these to help break up the mucous or lube the dry throat?

Both helped me at times during treatment...

JG
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    I don't know any tricks
    Hi Sam,

For me it was an ongoing ritual for a few weeks; trying to cough up the glob of phlegm in the back of my throat. I would go through the rinse, gargle, swish and spit with the baking soda salt mixture, then try to hack up the crap. Many times I would get to coughing and having dry heaves simultaneously. Like all the surprises, this to will pass. You really have to appreciate all the treats this bus ride affords you (HA).

I did have a PEG for 2/3 of my meals, but always managed to drink one smoothie a day. If you are PEG(less), you are ahead of the game. Keep swallowing and working your way through this tough time, you will make it. If you can not eat or swallow, get the PEG, it will let you relax.

Been there, coughed and choked that.

Best,

Matt
  • Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    Options
    Do you have a suction machine?
    It helped me a lot because it can get all the sticky stuff out of your mouth. It is delivered to your home, and insurance covers it.
  • nick770
    nick770 Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Laralyn said:

Do you have a suction machine?
    It helped me a lot because it can get all the sticky stuff out of your mouth. It is delivered to your home, and insurance covers it.

By the time
    You read this you will have HAd your last rad so a congrats is in order
    My moucos started a few weeks ago and has been one of the more difficult things i have had to deal with.
    I use tussin religiously every 4 hous and a cool mist humidifier is always runningbesids my bed it seems to get worse at night for some odd reason but i also use a mix of baking soda andsalt and i try to keep hydrated plus on on the suction machine. It can be very helpful.