Making Strides Against...boob jobs?

Options
TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
Some of you will remember my first experience at an ACS Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5K walk 2 years ago, when I was just a few months out of treatment. None of my friends would go with me, so I went alone, and found it very cliqueish and unfriendly and discouraging.

This year, a Making Strides was scheduled for the first time at a park just a mile from my home, and two of my friends agreed to come with me. The walk was this morning. One friend has no experience with breast cancer herself, but has several friends (including me) who've been through treatment, and has talked for months about wanting to show her support for us, and how excited she was to come do the walk with me.

So I was really surprised (and, I'll admit, hurt) when she called me a few days ago to let me know she was bailing on me for the walk, because...because...wait for it...

...she was having a boob job.

Am I the only person who sees the irony in this?!? You bail on a breast cancer event so you can have surgery on your perfectly healthy breasts?

In the end, though, my other friend did come with me, and it was a lovely morning. We met for breakfast beforehand, everyone at the walk was really friendly, and we even played on the swings at the playground afterwards like little kids!

But yes, I did consider "editing" the name of the event on my nametag to read "Making Strides Against Boob Jobs."

:-) Traci

Comments

• sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    What a hoot! There you
    What a hoot! There you go...some people talk the talk but they can't walk the walk.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hey Traci!
    I do remember you walking alone 2 years ago. I'm glad at least one of your friends joined you this year. Hope all is well.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Hey Traci!
    I do remember you walking alone 2 years ago. I'm glad at least one of your friends joined you this year. Hope all is well.

xoxo,
    Jean

Boob jobs...
    I so get the irony of this!....lol. ..I have a sister in law who had a boob job when she was in her early 40's...she's now 51....well one of her sisters was just diagnosed with bc and another had ovarian cancer 3 years years ago...( husband is one of 13 kids so I have tons of inlaws... Lucky me...lol). Well now she is scared to death, that because having implants makes mammos so difficult...she's afraid if she had bc they would have a hard time detecting it...I just talked to her a week ago...I just flat out asked her how it was done...she said, and I had to laugh, that they literally use a kitchen spatula to push the implants aside....lmao....and it is painful......she sorely regrets the implants....I said, well you can always have them removed...her response..."Oh no, I paid to much money to get them!" so be it...!

One of my daughters best friends had bc 3 years ago...she had D's...and because she was young she opted for reconstruction with implants...my daughter had a cute, pink t-shirt made for her...it said "Yes, these are fake, my real one's tried to kill me!" She loved it and wore it the next year when she walked in a 5 k....

So glad a friend went with you....I so admire you doing this, with or without a friend!
    Hugs, Nancy
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Boob Job!
    Love it!

Doris
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Irony is Right
    Your story has the makings of a Seinfeld episode. Glad you and your friend made the event. Good for you.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    OMG and I'm guessing the
    OMG and I'm guessing the irony went right over her head? Glad that you were able to do the walk with a friend and I am also glad it was a happy day. I have had good experiences when I have walked, but I missed it this year :-( D/T GI issues.
  • NancyJac
    NancyJac Member Posts: 91
    Options
    Was she blonde by any chance?
    (slaps self on hand for such a catty remark.)

I have an ironic story that is somewhat the opposite of yours. I had a bilateral mastectomy (left side was prophylactic) because I wanted to be even and didn't want reconstruction or trying to match up with falsies. A few days after the mastectomy, my surgeon called me to said that pathology report showed that margins were not clean and she had to do a re-excision on the right to remove more skin. Well once she did that, there was not enough skin left to close the wound, so had to have plastic surgery to remove a section from my abdominal area to patch over the right side of my chest. Since I was going to have radiation, the plastic surgeon took not only skin but also some tissue from the abdominal area so it would be able to stand up better to the radiation. So now I have a totally flat left side of my chest, a poofy right side of my chest from the abdominal issue, and 3 pack abs (the tummy tuck that went to the right side of my chest came from the left side of my tummy. And to top it all off, the piece that went from the left abs to the right chest included my belly button so I now have relocated belly button on the right side of my chest.
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    I don't blame you for being hurt
    Did she really not get the irony?

G;ad you had a good time anyway!

Jennifer
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Sometimes you think you've heard it all
    and then - whammo - another idiot does or says something like this. Traci, I'm glad you can find humor in it (one of the things I like so much about you), and I hope that you can sort out what this means to you and your friendship. Thank goodness for your other friend!

Sue
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Boob jobs...
    I so get the irony of this!....lol. ..I have a sister in law who had a boob job when she was in her early 40's...she's now 51....well one of her sisters was just diagnosed with bc and another had ovarian cancer 3 years years ago...( husband is one of 13 kids so I have tons of inlaws... Lucky me...lol). Well now she is scared to death, that because having implants makes mammos so difficult...she's afraid if she had bc they would have a hard time detecting it...I just talked to her a week ago...I just flat out asked her how it was done...she said, and I had to laugh, that they literally use a kitchen spatula to push the implants aside....lmao....and it is painful......she sorely regrets the implants....I said, well you can always have them removed...her response..."Oh no, I paid to much money to get them!" so be it...!

One of my daughters best friends had bc 3 years ago...she had D's...and because she was young she opted for reconstruction with implants...my daughter had a cute, pink t-shirt made for her...it said "Yes, these are fake, my real one's tried to kill me!" She loved it and wore it the next year when she walked in a 5 k....

So glad a friend went with you....I so admire you doing this, with or without a friend!
    Hugs, Nancy

MRI
    Nancy,
    You may want to suggest an MRI to your SIL. They don't always approve them because of a persons risk, but they often approve them to check for leaks in the implants.
    Go Figure!

Cindy
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    One friend every year?
    That will make quite a team eventually!

Cindy
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    HOLY BOOBS BATMAN!!!
    What was your goofy friend thinking? Glad you had a good day with your supportive friend!

Hugs,

RE
  • JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    Options
    Your story made me giggle!
    Your story made me giggle! I'm glad you did have a friend go with you. There's something about swinging that really 'lifts' the spirits, ya know? (pun intended)

I am lucky enough to have a very close male friend put together a team in my honor for the 'Strides'. The men wore pink boas last time! Maybe I'll have them wear pink bras this year. (they'd SO do it...) lol. Christopher named the team "Team Squishers".
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    WHAT ???
    Come on Traci,

try to see it from her point of view, who better to understand
    her desire for perfect boobs? She probably thought she can bond
    wit you through this experience (;

NOT! Hahaaaa, I am with the other pinks.... I detect some blonde
    action here.

But look at the bright side, it made many of us giggle and you
    get to tell a cool story

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Irony
    I'm sorry but I was laughing when you said why she bailed on you. Are you sure this girl is really your friend? Sounds like a very self involved person to me. I'm glad your other friend was able to make it and you had a nice time. Wow, a boob job, never saw that one coming.

Terry
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Hey Traci!

xoxo,
    Jean

If you had called me, I
    If you had called me, I would have been ready, willing and able to walk with you Traci! Poo on her!