Hematomas

Options
snickerdoodle
snickerdoodle Member Posts: 19
I had a double mastectomy with nipple saving plastic surgery on Tuesday the 19th of June. I am home with the bags hanging and although fluids are running in, I am a little worried about breast firmness in left breast as I had to have a second surgery that day to have a large hematoma removed at 11;30 pm in that breast. The plastic surgeon came back to drain it and replace the expander.
How can you tell if you need to call your doctor? Well, I guess I should. little scared about Hematomas as this is my second I had, I had a hematoma when I had my right breast lumpectomy also.
I went for a several block walk with my kids today as I know I need to walk.

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    If you think you should call
    If you think you should call your doctor, then do it! Don't let something like this worry you. You need peace of mind.

Let us know and good luck,

Kylez
  • taiga
    taiga Member Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Fluid Accumulation
    I had a bilateral mastectomy with tissue expanders May 1st. My drains were in 3 weeks, but shortly after surgery, the right armpit area - where 14 nodes were removed - walled off. I developed a very uncomfortable seroma there and it had to be drained a dozen times. During that time the tissue expander on the right also decided to migrate towards my armpit. So, between the expander moving, the drains and the seroma, I have been pretty miserable since May 1st! But on June 20th, I had out patient surgery to move the expander back to where it belonged and also place a drain in the armpit area. So I now have 2 drains on the right side, again, and we all know what a pain they are! During those weeks before the revision surgery, that right breast at times was swollen, red, tender, I ran a low grade fever, etc. Call your doctor's office with any of these symptoms. I honestly feel like I wasted 6 weeks. Other than the fluid added to the expanders on May 1st, I haven't had any additional fluid added. And now with this new surgery, those incisions will need to heal before any fluid can be added. I wish I had spoken up sooner and insisted that something wasn't right.
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Not that I had a double masectomy but
    I should think that if you call and ask for some guidelines on what he thinks an emergency would look like given your situation he might be very happy to let you know what this is. He might describe a size or a level of pressure that would mean you should call him. Of course any time you run a fever too is a good indicater of a reason to call. I think they would rather you asked an intellegent question then let things get out of hand.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Not that I had a double masectomy but
    I should think that if you call and ask for some guidelines on what he thinks an emergency would look like given your situation he might be very happy to let you know what this is. He might describe a size or a level of pressure that would mean you should call him. Of course any time you run a fever too is a good indicater of a reason to call. I think they would rather you asked an intellegent question then let things get out of hand.

Did you call your doctor?
    Did you call your doctor? What did he do and how are you?

Also, I love snickerdoodle cookies! I don't know if many have ever had them, but, they are good!

Hugs, Angie
  • snickerdoodle
    Options
    Angie2U said:

Did you call your doctor?
    Did you call your doctor? What did he do and how are you?

Also, I love snickerdoodle cookies! I don't know if many have ever had them, but, they are good!

Hugs, Angie

Hematomas and drains after mastectomy
    Hi all, thank you for your comments. I did call my doctor who listened to my description as I tapped around my right and left breast and we both decided that there was no lump and hardness. Having had one that she drained right after surgery, I was nervous and I felt much better after I talked to her. Sorry I have been off line so long. She just removed my drains today; 2 weeks after surgery. It kills to have them pulled out for a few moments then she was right, they felt okay. Today I pulled one of my own loose tops over my head even. I feel very happy that I had a nipple sparing bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction and I am looking forward to new breasts. I had even taken photos of my breasts before surgery because they served me so well for 66 years. I love snickerdoodles too. That is how I chose the name.
    I am going to start driving tomorrow but I will take it easy as my entire chest is "stiff" from all those stitches and whatnot. I decided a while back not to exam anything too carefully. I am going to Weill Cornell in NYC and I feel very happy that I chose that hospital and had that staff. They are amazing.
  • snickerdoodle
    Options
    taiga said:

Fluid Accumulation
    I had a bilateral mastectomy with tissue expanders May 1st. My drains were in 3 weeks, but shortly after surgery, the right armpit area - where 14 nodes were removed - walled off. I developed a very uncomfortable seroma there and it had to be drained a dozen times. During that time the tissue expander on the right also decided to migrate towards my armpit. So, between the expander moving, the drains and the seroma, I have been pretty miserable since May 1st! But on June 20th, I had out patient surgery to move the expander back to where it belonged and also place a drain in the armpit area. So I now have 2 drains on the right side, again, and we all know what a pain they are! During those weeks before the revision surgery, that right breast at times was swollen, red, tender, I ran a low grade fever, etc. Call your doctor's office with any of these symptoms. I honestly feel like I wasted 6 weeks. Other than the fluid added to the expanders on May 1st, I haven't had any additional fluid added. And now with this new surgery, those incisions will need to heal before any fluid can be added. I wish I had spoken up sooner and insisted that something wasn't right.

Calling your doctor
    I know what you mean. I think I called right after I wrote that because my doctor had notes everywhere to call her if I had any concerns. They do not want their work to sit getting infected and what not. They want to take action as soon as they can I think. I hope the rest of your restoration goes without a hitch. Rest up, eat well and good luck. Let me know how you are doing.
  • snickerdoodle
    Options
    taiga said:

Fluid Accumulation

Calling your doctor
    I know what you mean. I think I called right after I wrote that because my doctor had notes everywhere to call her if I had any concerns. They do not want their work to sit getting infected and what not. They want to take action as soon as they can I think. I hope the rest of your restoration goes without a hitch. Rest up, eat well and good luck. Let me know how you are doing.
  • snickerdoodle
    Options
    Kylez said:

If you think you should call your doctor, then do it! Don't let something like this worry you. You need peace of mind.

Kylez

Thank you for your quick response
    I was so busy with my family coming in and out and taking care of me I had little time to worry and that was a good thing.
  • snickerdoodle
    Options
    Kylez said:

Kylez

Thank you for your quick response
    I was so busy with my family coming in and out and taking care of me I had little time to worry and that was a good thing.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Hematomas and drains after mastectomy
    Hi all, thank you for your comments. I did call my doctor who listened to my description as I tapped around my right and left breast and we both decided that there was no lump and hardness. Having had one that she drained right after surgery, I was nervous and I felt much better after I talked to her. Sorry I have been off line so long. She just removed my drains today; 2 weeks after surgery. It kills to have them pulled out for a few moments then she was right, they felt okay. Today I pulled one of my own loose tops over my head even. I feel very happy that I had a nipple sparing bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction and I am looking forward to new breasts. I had even taken photos of my breasts before surgery because they served me so well for 66 years. I love snickerdoodles too. That is how I chose the name.
    I am going to start driving tomorrow but I will take it easy as my entire chest is "stiff" from all those stitches and whatnot. I decided a while back not to exam anything too carefully. I am going to Weill Cornell in NYC and I feel very happy that I chose that hospital and had that staff. They are amazing.

Wishing you all the best
    Wishing you all the best snickerdoodle! So glad that you are feeling happy!

Hugs, Angie
  • snickerdoodle
    Options
    taiga said:

Fluid Accumulation

Your experience
    Hi Taiga, Now that I read your post again, I see what you have been through. I guess the alternative is much worse and if the cancer is gone, that makes any of this stuff tolerable. Are you going into physical therapy? You are eligible for free therapy/massage I think. Hate those drains but they are probably better then the alternatives...