Options
2»

Comments

• longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    pjm929 said:

radiatio.
    I'm 3 weeks post surgery. Had cancer, right Tonsil and.in 7 lymph nodes. Slowly getting better, but slowly is the word. I now have to take 30 radiation treatments, 6 weeks, 5 days a week. I am a little nervous, can anyone tell me what to expect?

expect to come back here and post a lot:)
    double dip........
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    tuffenuff said:

Yeah that's what stinks.
    Yeah that's what stinks. Since I'm doing weekly treatments it lookalike I won't be getting the taste break in between. Oh well, bump up the antidepressants and break out the Ensure... Gag...

Well...
    LOL, I did go through seven weeks of concurrent weekly chemo and daily rads after that initial nine weeks....

So like you, taste was pretty much gone for several months. But now three years out, it's 100% back. The biggest majority did return within a few months post Tx. But took nearly two years to get back nearly 100% at that time.

JG
  • hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    pjm929 said:

radiatio.
    I'm 3 weeks post surgery. Had cancer, right Tonsil and.in 7 lymph nodes. Slowly getting better, but slowly is the word. I now have to take 30 radiation treatments, 6 weeks, 5 days a week. I am a little nervous, can anyone tell me what to expect?

radiatio
    Please start a new thread with your question and mention if you are also having chemo. For those of us that have had both, it is somewhat difficult to distinguish side effects from rads vs. chemo. Don't fear the making of the mask, just have a mindset that you are getting a facial. That part was a breeze.
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Well...
    LOL, I did go through seven weeks of concurrent weekly chemo and daily rads after that initial nine weeks....

So like you, taste was pretty much gone for several months. But now three years out, it's 100% back. The biggest majority did return within a few months post Tx. But took nearly two years to get back nearly 100% at that time.

JG

Different
    My C&R was a little different. Could eat most anything I wanted within 4-months, though enjoying/tasting it is another matter. Like John, does take some time for it all to come back, and gradually the familiar flavors will return, or at least they have for me.

kcass
  • biggles1955
    biggles1955 Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    STARVING ! TASTE BUDS.....
    One week down, six to go! Cisplatin weeks 1,3 and 5 and 35 rads over seven weeks.
    First Chemo last Monday 18th June and I thought I was doing great until yesterday.Taste buds gone, everything tastes foul. I even had to throw away an Indian take away last night, just couldn't taste anything. BUT, sipping Ginger Beer, I can taste! And it seems to bring back flavour to other foods. Any more tips gratefully received!
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

One week down, six to go! Cisplatin weeks 1,3 and 5 and 35 rads over seven weeks.
    First Chemo last Monday 18th June and I thought I was doing great until yesterday.Taste buds gone, everything tastes foul. I even had to throw away an Indian take away last night, just couldn't taste anything. BUT, sipping Ginger Beer, I can taste! And it seems to bring back flavour to other foods. Any more tips gratefully received!

Welcome ~ Big
    A "BIG" welcome to you....

You have found a great group of people here, tons of experience and willing to share.

We have a SuperThread here maintained by Sweetblood22 - Dawn (my buddy)....

It has tons of great information and many links that were contributed by many on here;

SuperThread

You'll find many tips and topics on there that you probably haven't even thought of as yet.

OH, but please don't post on the SuperThread, we try to keep that thread clean and post free...

Best,
    John
  • Tonsil Dad
    Tonsil Dad Member Posts: 488
    Options

Guess.
    With an name like Biggles ( WW2 pilot) and an Indian take-away I bet you
    are from England. Either way welcome to the board, lots of great people on
    here with lots of valuble information. I'm 12 weeks out from stage 2 tonsil
    cancer Hpv+ and doing ok, taste coming back a little, bad dry mouth and blocked
    nasal passages, one sore on the back of tongue but doing good.
    It does get better and so everyone will say.....Give it time.

God bless
    Tonsil dad,

Dan.
  • Djsturn
    Djsturn Member Posts: 4
    Options
    tuffenuff said:

You can expect to eat
    You can expect to eat blueberry pancakes with syrup lol..

Just kidding. I had my right tonsil removed and had to follow up with 7 weekly rounds of chemo and 35 rads. I've finished 8 rads with no side effects yet. My loss of taste right now is from the chemo. Only side effect so far. That's all I can say but just about everyone up there ^^^^ has lots more to offer.

Don't be scared and it's ok to have a crappy day. Mine was yesterday. :o)

Same treatment
    I also had my right tonsil removed as well as some lymphs and a small portion of my tongue. I underwent 8 rounds of erbitux and 35 rads simultaneously I finished up May 1st. I still have a small lump and after my PETSCAN on 7/12 I will know if I have to have more surgery. It has been very tough I fought to stay off a feeding tube and have succeeded. I still don't want to eat but I drink protein powder mixed with V8 Blenders, I didn't like the Ensure or Boost and I get more protein this way, you may want to try this and see if it works for you. Good luck with your journey and keep posting.
  • robinleigh
    robinleigh Member Posts: 297
    Options
    Trial and error
    Seems like we made a lot of food and threw away a lot of food! Smoothies and milkshakes were or saving grace for many, many months. Just have to keep experimenting!