OT--teenagers

Options
Gabe N Abby Mom
Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
As the parent of a teenage boy (he turns 16 next week) I am experiencing some frustration here, there, and everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I am very proud of my son. He is bright, healthy, has a wicked sense of humor, is usually responsible, and is very creative. Yes, I am blessed. But lately the 'I know everything' and 'the world is about me' attitude has been really getting to me. (My hubby seems to be handling it better than I am.)

So for some fun (because I think we need it...see the world is about me, not my teenager!) please share some teenage stories. They can be about yourself, your kids, or someone you know...the funnier the better!

Thanks and hugs,

Linda

Comments

• jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Options
    Oh Linda!
    I hope you get some funny stuff. If I had a choice between this cancer or repeating my kid's teenage years I think I would choose cancer. I do however have a favorite funny story about my son when he was in about the 5th grade. He complained about an earache so I took him to the doctor after school. The doctor said his ear was infected because there was a metal spring (like from an inkpen) in his ear. My son immediately exclaimed "I don't know how that got there" at which time I asked him if his ear was with him all the time. The doctor was so tickled by my question that he didn't even charge it as a surgical removal of the metal spring.

Good luck with your son!

HUGS!!!
    Jamie
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Have a good one...
    When our daughter was 15, she is now 39.... my husband and I were watching a political debate...we felt like she should watch it so we called her out of her bedroom where she stayed most of the time...after a few minutes, I hope I don't get flagged for this...she said "that guy is such a prick!" my husband and I almost had whiplash we jerked our heads so quick towards her! I said," what did you say?" She repeated it...we almost had a stroke! I asked her if she knew what that meant....long story short, she was clueless to it's meaning...it taught her to never use a word that she didn't know the meaning.....now she is the mother to 3 ....oldest is a girl 121/2...a boy 91/2 and a 31/2 boy....I love it! Pay back....lol. I love it when her daughter tools her eyes..Lol
    We raised a boy and a girl...boys, even those who think the universe revolves around them, in our experience boys are easier...our son is 42...we started young...lol. He and his wife have another of our precious grands..a daughter 131/2...he's having a hard time with her growing up...

Again hope I don't get flagged...looking forward to more funnies...
    Hugs, Nancy
  • C survivor
    C survivor Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Teenage boys
    When my son was a freshman in college I got a call from spring break revelries:
    "Mom, I am not sure what to do. My uvula is swollen, like really big. It's that thing that hangs down in the back of your throat; I know because I went online and looked it up. Do you think I should go to the hospital?"
    My first reaction was to say "YES, get to the ER" but after a few minutes of talking with him I realized he wasn't in any immediate danger. As we continued to talk I went online and read "so, your uvula is swollen. Were you up late last night partying and smoking? Did you fall asleep on your back?..."
    As I read this aloud to him, he stuttered and said "well, yeah. I guess." He was soooo busted.
    I was annoyed and worried of course that he was partying too much, but I couldn't help being happy that he called me when he was worried.

When they are talking back or not talking and just giving you "that look", it helps to remember they need you and someday they will admit it again.
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

Teenage boys
    "Mom, I am not sure what to do. My uvula is swollen, like really big. It's that thing that hangs down in the back of your throat; I know because I went online and looked it up. Do you think I should go to the hospital?"
    My first reaction was to say "YES, get to the ER" but after a few minutes of talking with him I realized he wasn't in any immediate danger. As we continued to talk I went online and read "so, your uvula is swollen. Were you up late last night partying and smoking? Did you fall asleep on your back?..."
    As I read this aloud to him, he stuttered and said "well, yeah. I guess." He was soooo busted.
    I was annoyed and worried of course that he was partying too much, but I couldn't help being happy that he called me when he was worried.

When they are talking back or not talking and just giving you "that look", it helps to remember they need you and someday they will admit it again.

Funny now, not then
    When my now 40-year-old daughter was a teen, she really gave us a run for our money. I always waited up for her to come home, kissed her goodnight (alcohol check) and then I'd go to bed, rest assured knowing she was home safe and sound. Ha! We lived at the top of an incline (I didn't want to say hill because that implies too high, but it was about midway up a hill). Anyway, daughter came home one Friday night when she was supposed to, we talked about her evening, and I kissed her good night and went to bed.

The next morning, my husband got up to play golf. Next thing I knew he was waking me up. "Suzanne, what's your car doing in Bob Moore's front yard?". Needless to say, that was the morning I learned that often, as soon as I'd go to bed, she would go back out. This particular time, she decided she needed my car, so got in, put it in neutral, released the parking brake, did not turn on the engine because she was being sneaky (no power brakes, no power steering) and slid backwards down the driveway into our neighbor's front yard.

And that's my teenage story. I have others, but they're not funny!

S
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Options
    Thanks for your stories.
    Thanks for your stories. Although I talk with many other parents of teenagers, it helps to hear the stories of parents who have survived the teen years.

I'm looking forward to more stories.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Options

Funny now, not then
    When my now 40-year-old daughter was a teen, she really gave us a run for our money. I always waited up for her to come home, kissed her goodnight (alcohol check) and then I'd go to bed, rest assured knowing she was home safe and sound. Ha! We lived at the top of an incline (I didn't want to say hill because that implies too high, but it was about midway up a hill). Anyway, daughter came home one Friday night when she was supposed to, we talked about her evening, and I kissed her good night and went to bed.

The next morning, my husband got up to play golf. Next thing I knew he was waking me up. "Suzanne, what's your car doing in Bob Moore's front yard?". Needless to say, that was the morning I learned that often, as soon as I'd go to bed, she would go back out. This particular time, she decided she needed my car, so got in, put it in neutral, released the parking brake, did not turn on the engine because she was being sneaky (no power brakes, no power steering) and slid backwards down the driveway into our neighbor's front yard.

And that's my teenage story. I have others, but they're not funny!

S

And what did the neighbor
    And what did the neighbor say?
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Options

Teenage boys

My son has been very honest
    My son has been very honest about his transgressions, even though I'm sure there is some stuff I don't know about. (And I might not ever want to know about it either!) I just hope I'm still around when he's ready to admit he needs me for more than a ride and money.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Options
    MAJW said:

Have a good one...
    When our daughter was 15, she is now 39.... my husband and I were watching a political debate...we felt like she should watch it so we called her out of her bedroom where she stayed most of the time...after a few minutes, I hope I don't get flagged for this...she said "that guy is such a prick!" my husband and I almost had whiplash we jerked our heads so quick towards her! I said," what did you say?" She repeated it...we almost had a stroke! I asked her if she knew what that meant....long story short, she was clueless to it's meaning...it taught her to never use a word that she didn't know the meaning.....now she is the mother to 3 ....oldest is a girl 121/2...a boy 91/2 and a 31/2 boy....I love it! Pay back....lol. I love it when her daughter tools her eyes..Lol
    We raised a boy and a girl...boys, even those who think the universe revolves around them, in our experience boys are easier...our son is 42...we started young...lol. He and his wife have another of our precious grands..a daughter 131/2...he's having a hard time with her growing up...

Again hope I don't get flagged...looking forward to more funnies...
    Hugs, Nancy

I don't think you'll get
    I don't think you'll get flagged...you sound very proud of her.

Hugs,

Linda
  • eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Teenagers
    Oh bless them....I raised five children all within a year or so of each other, and could write a book on the funny, sad, scary, frustrating, and attitude problems, but just stay strong, tho maybe in the shadow for a bit. One of the best moments of my life was at my sons wedding when this rather reserved young man asked me to do a mother/son dance to "Stand by Me"....it was a moment in time I will never forget.
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    A Call from My Son
    My son is now 21 and my daughter is 19. Both are in college. My son tends to be a bit of a hypochondriac and (like most his age) looks everything up on the web. When he was a freshman in college he convinced himself that he had mononucleosis. I suggested he go to Student Health to be seen by an actual physician. He said he would wait 48 hours and if he was still sick he would go in. 2 days later I was in a meeting when I got a text from him. it read: "Mom, I think I need to have my spleen removed." I burst out laughing. I couldn't help myself. Of course, I then had to explain to everyone present why I was laughing. He had read that a possible complication of mono is an enlarged spleen and he was convinced his was enlarged. Next day he DID go to Student Health and his mono test was negative.

This next one falls under the category of "Why aren't you talking to Dad about this?"
    My son came home at the end of sophmore year and discreetly takes me aside. He said,"Mom, it hurts when I pee. What do I do about this?" Clearly he was in pain. I was very clinical about it and asked questions such as how long has this been going on? Is the stream weak? When was the last time you had sex? My first thought was that he had an STD. Alternatively, I thought he might have a urinary tract infection. Not having the man parts I told Dad what was going on. Off they went to Urgent Care. I was right. It was a UTI. I was glad he felt he could talk to me and felt I handled the situation pretty well. It was a bit difficult to hold a straight face while discussing the functioning of his private parts with my son.

These 2 incidents stand out in my mind. If I think of more I will post again.

IRENE
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    I didn't find about this
    I didn't find about this till years later....my son and his buddies were coming home from paintballing. The fellow in the back seat decided to paint ball the car behind them. On come the lights from the unmarked police car. They pull over and the cop took the kid and threw him up against the car who at at that point had peed his pants. I still laugh thinking about it but geesh. I can imagine how he felt when those lights came on. All I can say is I'm glad it wasn't my son.

A phase I remember well is the period where I didn't know anything and he knew it all. Rest assured that it is only a phase and you will be wise again :)
  • deerello
    deerello Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Teenagers
    My sons are 13, and they say some crazy things. Maybe you have to be there, but they make me laugh and it feels good. The Saturday before Fathers Day we decided to do their Dads laundry as he usually takes it to laundromat on Sunday, often his only day off. (He works in a shipyard, clothes are nasty)One of the boys noticed there were very few pairs of underwear, and he commented on it. I jokingly said maybe he didn't wear any, and he announced "he's going commando!" that was a new term for me. Last weekend we were at Sears to buy shorts for camp. One of the boys is "fluffier" than the other, so we were shopping in mens sizes. We finally found a 32 waist and he exclaimed in a very distraught voice "I'm as fat as Dad and I'm only five feet tall!" It cracked me up.(And he is actually about 5'2". They constantly amuse and astound me, and I don't know how I would get through this without them.