New member and new treatment

Options
wts
wts Member Posts: 40 Member
Just found out I had cancer 2 weeks ago. Started on the continuous pump with 5FU this week. Start radiation next week. Been a whirlwind so far! Hopfully they can shrink it enought before surgery so everything can be conected back ok since it's close to the rectum. Everything is going well so far but it's only been 3 days.

Comments

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    WTS
    I too had 5-fu with pump and radiation before resection. Now 2 years later I'm NED. It ain;t easy but you too can be NED in the future. Best of luck to you!
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    Had radiation and Xeloda for six weeks, surgery (with ileo) and chemo. You will be on a rollercoaster for the next several months. Just wanted to welcome you to the board and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Mine was also located in the rectum. Hope you continue to do well on your treatment.

Kim
  • omrhill
    omrhill Member Posts: 125
    Options
    I was on exact same
    I was on exact same treatment plan that you describe, and am now waiting for surgery on August 2nd. I tolerated the 5FU and radiation very well, just dealt with diarrhea and exhaustion. The diarrhea is subsiding and I think i'm beginning to wake up -- I'm two weeks post chemo. Rest, take good notes, and find someone to be your partner in all of the appointments. In the earliest days I actually stayed away from the internet because I was overwhelmed with information. It gets easier to handle it all.
    Robin
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    Options
    omrhill said:

I was on exact same
    I was on exact same treatment plan that you describe, and am now waiting for surgery on August 2nd. I tolerated the 5FU and radiation very well, just dealt with diarrhea and exhaustion. The diarrhea is subsiding and I think i'm beginning to wake up -- I'm two weeks post chemo. Rest, take good notes, and find someone to be your partner in all of the appointments. In the earliest days I actually stayed away from the internet because I was overwhelmed with information. It gets easier to handle it all.
    Robin

Welcome
    Sorry to hear of your dx, but you've come to a great place for support. My primary was very low down as well, but after 6 weeks of radiation and chemo, it shrank to the point where no surgery was necessary. I'll be praying that you can avoid surgery as well.

God Bless

Doc/Ray
  • wts
    wts Member Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Doc_Hawk said:

Welcome
    Sorry to hear of your dx, but you've come to a great place for support. My primary was very low down as well, but after 6 weeks of radiation and chemo, it shrank to the point where no surgery was necessary. I'll be praying that you can avoid surgery as well.

God Bless

Doc/Ray

Thanks a lot everyone. Glad
    Thanks a lot everyone. Glad I found this to talk about things! Doc, I sure hope I am as lucky as you. I'll let everyone know how everything goes. Hopfully radiation will start Monday.
  • dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    wts said:

Thanks a lot everyone. Glad
    Thanks a lot everyone. Glad I found this to talk about things! Doc, I sure hope I am as lucky as you. I'll let everyone know how everything goes. Hopfully radiation will start Monday.

welcome
    Ask away here..
    I had the continous pump while having radiation too..
    I wasn't luck enough to avoid the colostomy.. but if you have to go that route .. please let me know... I will direct you to some sites that will help you there.
    my tumor flattened but didn't shrink from the muscle margins.. ...
    Radiation wasn't too bad.. but I will suggest you get some neosporin- I found it worked better to ease the burns than the stuff they gave me. I didn't notice any real effect till the 3rd week of radiation..
    And a doughnut pillow..maybe 3 or 4.. 1 for the car 1 for the office one for the couch.. and one for anywhere else you go.. you will be glad you did...

Don't let this all make you crazy.. before you know it you will be thru it... and it will be a blip on the screen.
    I wish you Peace and will be send you +++Postive Energy+++
    Donna
  • steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    Options
    hello and welcome
    Welcome to a great group of people who know what your going through. I will be praying your journey with this darn cancer is not difficult. Sounds like you have a good attitude and willing to fight this hard. Keep us informed. Jeff
  • Minnesotagirl
    Minnesotagirl Member Posts: 141
    Options
    I had rectal cancer too
    WTS,

Welcome. I know you are overwhelmed right now but you will get through this as many of us here have already done. Take one day at a time and don't let your mind get ahead of the what if's...not always a easy thing to do.

I had Stage 3 rectal cancer...diagnosed in 2010. I currently have no evidence of disease (NED). Best of luck to you during your personal treatment plan. Lots of help here on this board if you should have questions. Blessings to you from Minnesota!

"Minnie"