Petscan results in - relatively good news

Options
YoVita
YoVita Member Posts: 590 Member
My petscan showed just the one nodule in the lung - yes! My oncologist has offered two options - surgery of the nodule (he doesn't think a biopsy is worth it and they are often false readings) or waiting 6-8 weeks, do another ctscan (non-contrasting since it's just looking at the lung) to see if the nodule is still there, and if so, then surgery. He's fairly confident it's cancerous but is offering the two options. My take from all this - I'm lucky it's just the one, sounds like there's no immediate urgency, debating about waiting, or may see a surgeon just to find out what the surgery entails, but most likely will ultimately do the surgery. Would appreciate any insight on the lung surgery, how difficult it is, etc. and whether there are other options available (what about radiation - which I forgot to ask my oncologist about.) Thanks for your input. I'm relying on my medical team to help me make the ultimate decisions but welcome the experience of the group. Thanks.

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Yo!
    I bet you get that all the time:)

I've had two major lung surgeries so far. One was with the da Vinci robot and the other was an open thoracotomy. I actually fared better with the open procedure, because he had a better field of vision and a bigger area in which to maneuver around. The recovery seemed to go better too.

Wow, where to start?

Both options are viable ones. I'm against biopsies too for the same reason he gave you - they are too hit and miss...the biggest thing I think here is that malignant or benign, if you have a mass that continues to grow, surgical removal is going to have to happen anyway.

As for radiation, I would only consider it "after" the surgery if they recommend it. I would not elect to just radiate and not operate. There are some who've had RFA done to the lung where the spots were manageable and the location favorable. That might be a good option if it were available to you

Radiation was prescribed for me after my lung surgery, because we did not get clear margins and there was visible evidence of cancer present in my lung cavity, so we had to go that route.

As for waiting awhile for the next scan cycle, I'm a big proponent of this as well. In that amount of time, if it continues to grow, it will still be at a point where they can address it without alot of undue worry.

I'd rather wait and let them grow big, rather than jumping in every time there is a spot seen...once they go in the lung and start cutting, alot of scar tissue can accumulate that can hinder or make other lung surgeries more challenging. You just want to be sure that it is something worth going in for. That's why waiting is not necessarily such a bad thing.

In fact, it could be a good thing - if you see growth, then you can still go get it.

Lung surgery can be done by VATS, which is video assisted thoracis surgery...da Vinci is the robot version of this...full open thoracotomy is an option, or perhaps RFA as a lesser invasive procedure would all be what you are looking at.

Lung surgery does hurt, but they manage the pain well in the hospital. Key is to walk to re-expand the collapsed lung and see if it is holding air. They will deflate the lung during the operation.

They will give you a spirometer, which is a tube that you blow into to help your breathing and expand your lungs. And there will be a respiratory therapist that would be giving you 3x treatments a day with albuterol and something else I can't remember. Those really help. They are usually mechanically inflating the lung, so that helps.

Another key component will be your SPO2 level - this is your oxygen saturation level, or the percentage of oxygen found in your lungs. The average person (with or without cancer) would probably register between 95-100%

They usually won't discharge you from the hospital until you're over 90% minimum...if they were to release you and your readings were not that high, you would go home on supplemental oxygen.

So, that's another reason to walk, walk, walk...it helps get that level high and stay high.

This last time was pretty hard on me and my sat levels were in the mid-80's....a lap around the hall and I was out of breath and felt faint...alot of times I walked with an oxygen tank until I could build my numbers.

Just for an FYI...if you get low in the 80's, you can pass out and fall...so early on walk with your oxygen tank on...this will supplement you until you can breathe better on your own.

Pulling out the chest tube hurts, but tell them to count 1-2-3 and then take in a deep breath, just as they yank it out...yes, yank...it's better to go fast. This seems to hurt less if you do that.

I don't want to overwhelm you further...this will get you off and running.

Yo(u) sound like you're in very competent hands where you're at:) The very best of luck with whatever you decide.

-Craig
  • YoVita
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

Yo!
    I bet you get that all the time:)

I've had two major lung surgeries so far. One was with the da Vinci robot and the other was an open thoracotomy. I actually fared better with the open procedure, because he had a better field of vision and a bigger area in which to maneuver around. The recovery seemed to go better too.

Wow, where to start?

Both options are viable ones. I'm against biopsies too for the same reason he gave you - they are too hit and miss...the biggest thing I think here is that malignant or benign, if you have a mass that continues to grow, surgical removal is going to have to happen anyway.

As for radiation, I would only consider it "after" the surgery if they recommend it. I would not elect to just radiate and not operate. There are some who've had RFA done to the lung where the spots were manageable and the location favorable. That might be a good option if it were available to you

Radiation was prescribed for me after my lung surgery, because we did not get clear margins and there was visible evidence of cancer present in my lung cavity, so we had to go that route.

As for waiting awhile for the next scan cycle, I'm a big proponent of this as well. In that amount of time, if it continues to grow, it will still be at a point where they can address it without alot of undue worry.

I'd rather wait and let them grow big, rather than jumping in every time there is a spot seen...once they go in the lung and start cutting, alot of scar tissue can accumulate that can hinder or make other lung surgeries more challenging. You just want to be sure that it is something worth going in for. That's why waiting is not necessarily such a bad thing.

In fact, it could be a good thing - if you see growth, then you can still go get it.

Lung surgery can be done by VATS, which is video assisted thoracis surgery...da Vinci is the robot version of this...full open thoracotomy is an option, or perhaps RFA as a lesser invasive procedure would all be what you are looking at.

Lung surgery does hurt, but they manage the pain well in the hospital. Key is to walk to re-expand the collapsed lung and see if it is holding air. They will deflate the lung during the operation.

They will give you a spirometer, which is a tube that you blow into to help your breathing and expand your lungs. And there will be a respiratory therapist that would be giving you 3x treatments a day with albuterol and something else I can't remember. Those really help. They are usually mechanically inflating the lung, so that helps.

Another key component will be your SPO2 level - this is your oxygen saturation level, or the percentage of oxygen found in your lungs. The average person (with or without cancer) would probably register between 95-100%

They usually won't discharge you from the hospital until you're over 90% minimum...if they were to release you and your readings were not that high, you would go home on supplemental oxygen.

So, that's another reason to walk, walk, walk...it helps get that level high and stay high.

This last time was pretty hard on me and my sat levels were in the mid-80's....a lap around the hall and I was out of breath and felt faint...alot of times I walked with an oxygen tank until I could build my numbers.

Just for an FYI...if you get low in the 80's, you can pass out and fall...so early on walk with your oxygen tank on...this will supplement you until you can breathe better on your own.

Pulling out the chest tube hurts, but tell them to count 1-2-3 and then take in a deep breath, just as they yank it out...yes, yank...it's better to go fast. This seems to hurt less if you do that.

I don't want to overwhelm you further...this will get you off and running.

Yo(u) sound like you're in very competent hands where you're at:) The very best of luck with whatever you decide.

-Craig

Great info! Thanks Craig.
    Great info! Thanks Craig. I know this is just one issue you've been dealing with and I appreciate the great detail of your response. My nickname is Vita "Life" - I've had it for 25+ years.
  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    YoVita said:

Great info! Thanks Craig.
    Great info! Thanks Craig. I know this is just one issue you've been dealing with and I appreciate the great detail of your response. My nickname is Vita "Life" - I've had it for 25+ years.

yovita
    I had vats for the lower right lobe and was back to work after a month, no limitations. Vats is less invasive. I had the lower right lobe removed with 3 days in the hospital. The only way to know if its cancer is with a biopsy so I wouldn't recommend any other option but surgery to get that biopsy. With vats they do the biopsy right there in the OR and proceed from there either if benign close it up or malignant take it right there. Good news for the rest of your scan. I was monitored for a 5mm lung nodule recently and on a follow up scan 3 months later it was gone. I hope yours will disappear. I wish you the best Lori.
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    z said:

yovita
    I had vats for the lower right lobe and was back to work after a month, no limitations. Vats is less invasive. I had the lower right lobe removed with 3 days in the hospital. The only way to know if its cancer is with a biopsy so I wouldn't recommend any other option but surgery to get that biopsy. With vats they do the biopsy right there in the OR and proceed from there either if benign close it up or malignant take it right there. Good news for the rest of your scan. I was monitored for a 5mm lung nodule recently and on a follow up scan 3 months later it was gone. I hope yours will disappear. I wish you the best Lori.

YoVita, don't have experience with lungs
    but you are in my prayers an thoughts.
    Hugs!
  • YoVita
    Options
    z said:

yovita

Thanks for reporting your
    Thanks for reporting your good news - I'm still deciding whether to wait or go under the knife.
  • YoVita
    Options
    pepebcn said:

YoVita, don't have experience with lungs
    but you are in my prayers an thoughts.
    Hugs!

Thanks for your thoughts and
    Thanks for your thoughts and prayers Pepe.