Post Mastecomy Pain

Options
Rhonda Mohr
Rhonda Mohr Member Posts: 7
Hello. I had a double mastectomy on April 3, 2012. I'm lucky...no radiation, chemo or hormones. I am having a lot of pain though....mostly under my arms in my chest area. My doctor just says this is part of the healing process but I don't know. It hurts worse each week and it hurts worse at the end of the work week than it does after a restful weekend. I am swollen in my under arm/chest area and it painful all the time and more painful if touched. Anyone else experience this? If I know from you guys that this is something that is normal, that it will go away on its own, then I can tough it out. I just don't know if I should always believe the HMO though that says it is normal. Thanks for any comments you can send.

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help you
    I wish I could help you Rhonda, but, I had a lumpectomy. Many pink sisters on here have had a mastectomy and will be posting to you their experience.

Sorry that you are even having this pain and swelling.

Hugs, Jan
  • joanna
    joanna Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey Rhonda
    Hey Rhonda, I had a bilateral double mastectomy on May 10th. I also had no radiation/chemo/hormones regarding breast issues. I too have pain and puffiness under my arms and chest area and abdomen [but that's from another surgery]... My breast surgeon's team mentioned I was healing up fine, but pointed out that I might benefit from seeing a physical therapist who can teach me how to massage scar tissue away. The pain and puffiness you are experiencing may very well be from the healing process as they said and also it might be scar like tissue growing within, like it was for me. So far, I only had one session with my PT [who also has a speciality regarding the lympathic system]and I feel so much better. She taught me some massages and I must do it daily. I have another session coming up as well, which I am looking forward to learning new tools to heal myself. I highly recommend that you ask your doctor for a referral to see a PT. My PT also showed me how to massage the lympatic system [which I find facinating - basically it can jump start the immune system and help with lympatic drainage - that's what I think anyhow]. I hope you feel better soon. Take it easy, Joanna
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    joanna said:

Hey Rhonda
    Hey Rhonda, I had a bilateral double mastectomy on May 10th. I also had no radiation/chemo/hormones regarding breast issues. I too have pain and puffiness under my arms and chest area and abdomen [but that's from another surgery]... My breast surgeon's team mentioned I was healing up fine, but pointed out that I might benefit from seeing a physical therapist who can teach me how to massage scar tissue away. The pain and puffiness you are experiencing may very well be from the healing process as they said and also it might be scar like tissue growing within, like it was for me. So far, I only had one session with my PT [who also has a speciality regarding the lympathic system]and I feel so much better. She taught me some massages and I must do it daily. I have another session coming up as well, which I am looking forward to learning new tools to heal myself. I highly recommend that you ask your doctor for a referral to see a PT. My PT also showed me how to massage the lympatic system [which I find facinating - basically it can jump start the immune system and help with lympatic drainage - that's what I think anyhow]. I hope you feel better soon. Take it easy, Joanna

Post Mastectomy Pain Syndrome (PMPS)
    There is a very real condition called post mastectomy pain syndrome. Like Joanna posted above, some pain may be the beginning of lymphedema. Talk to your BS, PS, PC doc, anyone who will listen and get a referral to an OT or PT. I saw one for awhile and she worked wonders. She did something called myofascial release that broke up scar tissue and I felt immediate relief.

We're all different, though. Here is a link to other women who suffer from PMPS:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/136/topic/747016?page=31#idx_906
  • JaneMM
    JaneMM Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Post mastectomy pain
    Hi Rhonda
    I had my bilateral mastectomy Last May 18th. After the surgery it was very painful process... I have now expanders and I still feel alot of pain daily. When I touch my arm is sore. I feel like a burning feeling inside both of my breast. I just hope one day the pain goes away. I have better days and bad days I just live with the pain and I take some pain meds.I want to believe that in your case and mine , it just takes time for the healing and recovery be done. Hope you get better soon :))
  • NancyJac
    NancyJac Member Posts: 91
    Options
    I had my bilateral
    I had my bilateral mastectomy on April 10. I had to have 2 subsequent surgeries, one a re-excision to remove more skin to get clean margins and the other plastic surgery to transplant skin and tissue from my abdomen to my chest to cover the wound. I have been in radiation for the past month. I have a little soreness but nothing that I would call actual pain. I am not having breast reconstruction, but if you are, that would certainly account for the increasing pain. At this point, I think a second opinion would be a good idea for you, Is the doctor that is saying it is normal your surgeon, your onc, you PCP?