Options
2»

Comments

• survivor9yrs
    survivor9yrs Member Posts: 57
    Options
    radiation
    tracie
    i am a 12 yr survivor of BC. and a 3yr survivor of breast angiosarcoma..
    for 8 yrs i never had any trouble with the radiation i had. a little skin thickening but nothing more, until 8 yrs later when i notice a bruise and lump, which turned out to be the angiosarcoma caused by the radiation. this is a cancer of the blood vessels, very aggressive and nasty..
    i remember my surgeon telling me rad. could cause other cancers, but he never mentioned a specific kind..
    angiosarcoma is very rare.. but it does happen. there is a big site on facebook from survivors and women facing this cancer.
    i cannot say if rad. is right for you or anyone. but please be aware of this cancer. it looks like blood blisters. one or many..
    good luck to you
    survivor9yrs
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    deerello said:

Same questions
    I also posted as I am/was having serious doubts and almost decided against it. However, I think the good outweighs the bad and I have lost so much already I don't want to lose the ulimate, my life! I have heard that a lot depends on your radiation oncologist, and I guess the rest is in God's hands. Have faith that you will sail through it as I hope to do. I start in late July, and pray a year from now(or less) to have my life back. Please keep posting and Good Luck!

I had rads and just had what
    I had rads and just had what is considered normal side effects. I had the exhaustion, no burn, but, probably very close to it. Once I was done with rads, I started feeling fine and my skin looked great after just a couple of weeks.

We each choose what we want to do. I do wish you good luck.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

radiation
    tracie
    i am a 12 yr survivor of BC. and a 3yr survivor of breast angiosarcoma..
    for 8 yrs i never had any trouble with the radiation i had. a little skin thickening but nothing more, until 8 yrs later when i notice a bruise and lump, which turned out to be the angiosarcoma caused by the radiation. this is a cancer of the blood vessels, very aggressive and nasty..
    i remember my surgeon telling me rad. could cause other cancers, but he never mentioned a specific kind..
    angiosarcoma is very rare.. but it does happen. there is a big site on facebook from survivors and women facing this cancer.
    i cannot say if rad. is right for you or anyone. but please be aware of this cancer. it looks like blood blisters. one or many..
    good luck to you
    survivor9yrs

I had rads
    I also had rad treatments and felt that for me, it was the right thing to do. I wanted all of those cancer cells burnt, gone, poof..forever!

Everyone has choices in treatment and if you choose rads, I certainly wish you the best and we can offer our own experiences.

If you choose not to, I also wish you all the best.

Let us know what you are thinking..keep us updated.

Hugs, Megan
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    Options
    about rads side effects...
    No one seemed to have had bad side effects. I did... quite a few and it will be 2 years next month and I still have the effects. I think I needed rads but not 36 of them. My surgeon told me he thought I would only have a few or none. One way I wish I had listened to him but I know rads do kill the cells and I am happy for that. Like lots of people have stated we are all different and have different results and reasons to do what we do.

My prayers are with you and hope you are in the group that doesn't get the side effects. I think we have to listen to our doctors, our hearts and our guts.

Good luck to You,
    Diana
  • gagee
    Options
    No one seemed to have had bad side effects. I did... quite a few and it will be 2 years next month and I still have the effects. I think I needed rads but not 36 of them. My surgeon told me he thought I would only have a few or none. One way I wish I had listened to him but I know rads do kill the cells and I am happy for that. Like lots of people have stated we are all different and have different results and reasons to do what we do.

My prayers are with you and hope you are in the group that doesn't get the side effects. I think we have to listen to our doctors, our hearts and our guts.

Good luck to You,
    Diana
  • gagee
    Options

Good luck to You,
    Diana
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    gagee said:

Good luck to You,
    Diana

Some do have bad side
    Some do have bad side effects and some don't. There are a lot of variables involved in that I believe. Just follow your own instincts and do what you want. Good luck!
  • ctbrowneyes
    ctbrowneyes Member Posts: 1
    Options
    long term side effects

I had both radiation in 2005 and 2006 had chemo for colon rectal cancer at the time I was only 46.  I believed what my doctors and ocologist told me and today 9 years later as well breast cancer in that time I don't buy it as the only treatment option.  I am not sour just not living a normal life any longer due to the pain and damage incurred in the area of rectum and large intestines.  God forbid I have to deal with it ever again, I would not go with the default treatmens - cut/burn/poison.  Yes I'm sure there are many here that "survived" but our entire immune system is destroy and if you ever get it back it will take many years of proactive efforts and it won't be eating via the USDA food pyramid.  All I would say is pray to be directed to natural remedies and connect with people that have experience with alternative options to the main stream cut/burn/poison.  The USA has outlawed many alternatives and it may mean leaving the country or looking for doctors who operate outside the system.  I am very grateful to be alive but for me radiation and chemo has destroyed my ability to live a normal active life so I would rather caution and speak to people over 5 years or if possible after 9 years with the same cancer and same treatment plan.  Maybe if my cancer was just a 1 foot way from where it was, I would have had a different experience because of the location that area is highly sensitive. Now the medical community just basically says "there is nothing they can do".  

I know this comment is past due and pray you and all cancer patients have healthy lives but felt compelled to share a real life experience.

• PJS2005
    PJS2005 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    NancyJac said:

None of that after 18 years
    I am currently in my second go round with rads. First time was 18 years ago. I've had no lymphedema. I don't have implants so nothing to fail there. And no lung damage. I did have a subsequent DX of IBC, but all my docs agree that was neither a recurrence of my previous cancer nor the result of previous rads. What is the basis for being told there is 100% certainty of lung damage? Are they not doing breath hold? That protects the heart and lungs during rads. At least that is what I was told.

RADS

I just had RADS, nothing was told to me about breath holds, I heard that breath hold was for lung cancer?  You seem a very strong person 18 years !!! That is wonderful ... Good luck and God Bless! 

• PJS2005
    Options
    NancyJac said:

None of that after 18 years
    I am currently in my second go round with rads. First time was 18 years ago. I've had no lymphedema. I don't have implants so nothing to fail there. And no lung damage. I did have a subsequent DX of IBC, but all my docs agree that was neither a recurrence of my previous cancer nor the result of previous rads. What is the basis for being told there is 100% certainty of lung damage? Are they not doing breath hold? That protects the heart and lungs during rads. At least that is what I was told.

RADS

I just had RADS, nothing was told to me about breath holds, I heard that breath hold was for lung cancer?  You seem a very strong person 18 years !!! That is wonderful ... Good luck and God Bless! 

• PJS2005
    Options
    Angie2U said:

Robin Roberts blamed the
    Robin Roberts blamed the chemo for her fight now. I would do rads again if I needed to. I had the redness and soreness, but, it goes away very quickly when you finish.

Good luck,

Angie

RADS

I have burns from rads, can you or someone tell me a good cream to use, I have the silverden, the burn looks some better, it's been 5 days since last rads treatment? Thanks

• KatieLou
    KatieLou Member Posts: 2
    Options

long term side effects

I had both radiation in 2005 and 2006 had chemo for colon rectal cancer at the time I was only 46.  I believed what my doctors and ocologist told me and today 9 years later as well breast cancer in that time I don't buy it as the only treatment option.  I am not sour just not living a normal life any longer due to the pain and damage incurred in the area of rectum and large intestines.  God forbid I have to deal with it ever again, I would not go with the default treatmens - cut/burn/poison.  Yes I'm sure there are many here that "survived" but our entire immune system is destroy and if you ever get it back it will take many years of proactive efforts and it won't be eating via the USDA food pyramid.  All I would say is pray to be directed to natural remedies and connect with people that have experience with alternative options to the main stream cut/burn/poison.  The USA has outlawed many alternatives and it may mean leaving the country or looking for doctors who operate outside the system.  I am very grateful to be alive but for me radiation and chemo has destroyed my ability to live a normal active life so I would rather caution and speak to people over 5 years or if possible after 9 years with the same cancer and same treatment plan.  Maybe if my cancer was just a 1 foot way from where it was, I would have had a different experience because of the location that area is highly sensitive. Now the medical community just basically says "there is nothing they can do".  

I know this comment is past due and pray you and all cancer patients have healthy lives but felt compelled to share a real life experience.

Decision

I too, share a similar experience. I had colon cancer at age 40, which had spread to lymph nodes. After surgery, I was on chemo for a year. I had to drop out of grad school from the effects of chemo, called "chemo brain." Anyway, now 22 years later, I have been diagnosed with breast cancer. I don't have the full report back from Mayo yet, but it is a papillary tumor in situ. another lump was discovered also, a fibroadenoma in the opposite breast. Since I have breast implants, I have been advised that radiation is not my best option. It could be done, but both the radiation oncologist and the plastic surgeon said that mastectomy was a better option for me. I am meeting with another doctor in a couple days for a second opinion. I am not crazy about the radiation idea anyway, having already had chemo once. But mastectomy is scaring me too. I am not a fan of pain, and am worried about complications that would lengthen the whole reconstruction process. I need to start something soon, so a decision has to be made. I am leaning toward a double mastectomy, because of cancer history, and because I would worry all the time about another cancerous lump appearing. We'll see what this second doctor advises before the final decision.