Had the PET scan yesterday, now I look like a Heroin addict!

Options
missrenee
missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
edited June 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
I found out my radiation oncologist does PETs at his office, so I scheduled this one there to avoid all the bs you have to go through when you get it at the hospital.

Well, I think Rad. Doc.'s techs need to go for a refresher course in administering IVs. The first girl came in, very sweet, young and perky. I put out my good arm and she promptly blew my only vein on the inside of my elbow. Then she proceeded to blow a vein on my wrist just below my thumb. She then said, "Okay, honey, I'm done with you. I'll send someone else in." Well, I've never really loved this part of the tests anyway, so now I'm getting nervous. In walks the CT tech and begins to look at my arm. I asked him, "okay--what do we do now?" He said, "Not to worry, I'll find something." He decides to try the backside of my hand. My veins are pretty prominent there, so I thought he'd get in and all would be well. Noooooo. He puts in the needle, starts putting in the fluid and an incredible burning pain shoots up my arm. "Oops, that vein's not good either", he says. I'm thinking, "no, the vein is good, but you stink!" By this time, I'm ready to bolt. I'm already nervous about this PET and this is so not helping. So he decides to uncover the bandage of the initial stick inside my elbow and try again there. I tell him--this is your last chance, buddy. If you don't get it in here, we're done. Finally, after jiggling that dang needle back and forth, he gets in.

Okay, I don't have the best veins in the world--that would be my son who's a gym rat with zero body fat. But, I've never had this happen before. Even though it was so much more convenient to get the PET at that office, I now have severe reservations about ever doing it again.

So, PET is done, I look like a junkie, and my mind is going to all the dark places I don't want it to go while waiting for results. I'm planning on keeping busy this weekend, but I'm pretty scared.

Hugs, Renee

Comments

• jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Options
    OUCH!
    Not sure I would have lasted that long. Sorry you had to let them turn you into a pin cushion. I think I would find some discreet way of telling the doctor that his people need more IV training? Stay away from those "dark" places over the weekend.

HUGS!!!
    Jamie
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    jamiegww said:

OUCH!
    Not sure I would have lasted that long. Sorry you had to let them turn you into a pin cushion. I think I would find some discreet way of telling the doctor that his people need more IV training? Stay away from those "dark" places over the weekend.

HUGS!!!
    Jamie

YIKES !!!!
    I was cringing just reading this....it sucks and I agree the rads onc needs to told about this...you can't be the only woman whom they can only use one arm....our PCP had a horrible lab tech...she rolled and went through my vein! There was no second chance for her...I waited for the doc to come out of a room and promptly told him she needed to go! Next time my husband went our doc who we have seen for 26 years said..."Tell Nancy that we fired Dolly"...lol.

Easier said than done but try to stay away from those dark places....any idea when your results will be given?

Keep us posted, you know how very much we care...
    Hugs, Nancy
  • fight2survive
    fight2survive Member Posts: 15
    Options
    OUCH!
    UGH!!!! I have started each of my appointments informing the nurses that I have a huge fear of needles . . .so if you aren't sure you can do it right the first time, get someone who is more skilled.

Luckily, this has worked each time and they've taken care to make sure the first time is the only time they have to prick me.

Sorry you had to go through that experience!

M
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps!
    I have one arm that they can use and really lousy veins. One suggestion that I find can help: if it is allowed, drink lots of fluids for a few hours before an IV stick. It really makes a difference. If you are at all dehydrated, your veins are much more difficult to access.

When I had to have regular infusions, I began lifting weights (lowest settings at my gym). Just enough to get my veins to show up more. The infusion nurses said that really helped too.

Also, pay attention to what veins have worked before and what veins rarely work. Everyone wants the stick my antecubital, but the scar tissue there is so bad there it never threads. I now speak up and warn the nurses.

Some days just suck though and it sounds like you were having one of those? I am praying hard for you that your PET results will be wonderful. Big (((hugs)))
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I have great veins
    I have great veins but the last time I had a scan at the private Radiology Clinic the RN REALLY botched it. He had blood all over the place and finally succeeded in getting it in. The next day I had a routine blood draw with the tech guy who usually does my draws and he took one look at my arm and 'freaked out'. Won't use the words he used but 'the air turned blue' - how in Hades did someone do so much damage to my vein? Was it a student? Seems that this was not the first time he'd seen similar or worse by this RN. He decided to go higher on the vein for draw and had no problem. This RN was only the 3rd person who has ever had a problem with my veins and I've been donating blood since I was old enough to.

I have never tried to hit a vein on a human but I have many times with horses (other livestock and dogs) and it isn't that hard - IF you know what you're doing most of the time (dehydration can make it harder).

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options
    Rague said:

I have great veins
    I have great veins but the last time I had a scan at the private Radiology Clinic the RN REALLY botched it. He had blood all over the place and finally succeeded in getting it in. The next day I had a routine blood draw with the tech guy who usually does my draws and he took one look at my arm and 'freaked out'. Won't use the words he used but 'the air turned blue' - how in Hades did someone do so much damage to my vein? Was it a student? Seems that this was not the first time he'd seen similar or worse by this RN. He decided to go higher on the vein for draw and had no problem. This RN was only the 3rd person who has ever had a problem with my veins and I've been donating blood since I was old enough to.

I have never tried to hit a vein on a human but I have many times with horses (other livestock and dogs) and it isn't that hard - IF you know what you're doing most of the time (dehydration can make it harder).

Susan

Oh My~
    I sure hate the needle thing, and I too was cringing just reading your post of events. I am glad that part is over, and hope for the best outcome for you. It is hard to wait, and as women our minds do tend to wander in thought...glad you are finding ways to keep busy and occupy that wandering mind...good movies, chocolate, wine, shopping....whatever you can do. And we pinks stand with you!
    ~Hugs, Melanie
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Oh, Renee!
    I am so sorry that you had to endure this. I have always had bad veins, but now with using only one arm, I explicitly tell the techs that I am a bad stick, that most likely they will end up using the back of my hand so we should just start there. I carry a small foam rubber ball to 'pump' and I insist that they put a hot pack on my hand (or forearm, or wherever). Drinking water in advance helps, too.

Praying for good news,

Sue
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Oh Renee
    Been there...done that. I have horrible veins. It's bad enough going for a nerve wracking test and then dealing with incompetent fools.

Sorry you had a bad time at the PCP's office. I hope the weekend will brighten your world for a bit. Praying the news is good after the scan.

xoxo
    Mary
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!
    I have one arm that they can use and really lousy veins. One suggestion that I find can help: if it is allowed, drink lots of fluids for a few hours before an IV stick. It really makes a difference. If you are at all dehydrated, your veins are much more difficult to access.

When I had to have regular infusions, I began lifting weights (lowest settings at my gym). Just enough to get my veins to show up more. The infusion nurses said that really helped too.

Also, pay attention to what veins have worked before and what veins rarely work. Everyone wants the stick my antecubital, but the scar tissue there is so bad there it never threads. I now speak up and warn the nurses.

Some days just suck though and it sounds like you were having one of those? I am praying hard for you that your PET results will be wonderful. Big (((hugs)))

For CC - What Would You Do? Contrast dripped on Face
    CC

Two years ago, I had a problem with the CT scan tech. The first time, I had a young woman tech who did try twice, then she call for someone in the ER who came with a vein finder. This RN found veins but they blew and I went home to return the following week. The woman tech told me they would have me go to the oncology center the following week. However, no one made arrangements and I had this young male tech who was a totally arrogant jerk. I told him, "two tries and you find someone else". He tried twice and missed but refuse to call anyone. I just laid there on the slide table and finally let him try one more time. He did access a vein this time. When I notice this tech was on duty for the December ct scan, I told the clerks I wanted no contrast. They had to consult the radiologist who agreed that I could have it that way. In his report the radiologist made a remark "due to the fact that I refused contrast the study was limited".

That is when I made permanent arrangements to go to the oncology center for vein access. I had a ct scan this week. While the RN was trying to locate a vein, she told that the scan center had called and wanted a bigger needle this time as they have a hard time with the contrast going in. I never heard anyone complain about a contrast problem. The RN tried one vein and missed and she did get a vein on her second try. This is the first time she missed a vein and needed a second try.

When I was called for the scan, guess who was the tech. The male tech who gave me such a hard time a few years ago and the one on duty in December when I refused the contrast. He told me that after looking at my chart, he was the one who requested a bigger needle. Then he wrapped the line around my thumb just before he began to start the contrast. My arms were raised leaning on the scanner. The line leaked and I had some of the contrast hit my face, missing my eye by a 1/4 inch.

He quickly gave me a warm face cloth and apologize. Is the contrast something I need to worry about? I don't want him again and I am definitely going to inquire more about the bigger needle problem. Is there such a thing? I have had scans for many medical issues over the past 18 years and no one ever mentioned that the contrast had a difficult time to go in due to the needle size.

I don't like him and he definitely doesn't like me. Though we were both are very polite to each other. I truly don't want him again. What would you do?

Doris
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    I am so sorry Renee
    Cynthia is right about H2O starting 24 hours prior to a stick. As for your son - I have done clerical work in a lab for 19 1/2 years.... some of their hardest sticks have been young, super-healthy body builders and the most terrified have been boxers who have to have testing to fight.

Me, I am such a chicken I have my testing at the hospital so they'll use my port.

Hang in there, you are such a brave warrior,

Jennifer
  • SIROD
    Options
    Ineptitude!
    I have only one good arm with few accessible veins. The first thing I tell anyone who needs to access a vein is that "I am a hard stick". I have had 18 years experience with this, please believe what I say. I have had several anesthesiologist try to find a vein prior to surgery after the RN tried and the supervisor. This has happen more than once. The last time, after the 2nd anesthesiologist tried without luck, he said, "tell us what to do", I replied, "the hottest towel you can give me, wait 5 minutes and then try". They had one much to relief of my doctor who saw her schedule surgery go astray.

I drink lots of water all day long, at least 24 oz . If at all possible I try as late in the day as possible for all test that require vein access. I drink no caffeine that day.

Due to such a hard time I had a few years ago, I went to the head of radiologist department and told them, I needed the best RN to access my veins. I now am seen by someone in the oncology department for every scan. She is great. I do have my scans in the same hospital, due to convenience and how quick I can get my hands on the report that I pick up at the medical records department the next day.

I know how you feel Renee. I work in a high school and when we do have warm weather and I wear short sleeves, I have been asked by students what happened to your arm.

I do hope with all my heart that your report will be a great one.

Best,

Doris
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    SIROD said:

Ineptitude!
    I have only one good arm with few accessible veins. The first thing I tell anyone who needs to access a vein is that "I am a hard stick". I have had 18 years experience with this, please believe what I say. I have had several anesthesiologist try to find a vein prior to surgery after the RN tried and the supervisor. This has happen more than once. The last time, after the 2nd anesthesiologist tried without luck, he said, "tell us what to do", I replied, "the hottest towel you can give me, wait 5 minutes and then try". They had one much to relief of my doctor who saw her schedule surgery go astray.

I drink lots of water all day long, at least 24 oz . If at all possible I try as late in the day as possible for all test that require vein access. I drink no caffeine that day.

Due to such a hard time I had a few years ago, I went to the head of radiologist department and told them, I needed the best RN to access my veins. I now am seen by someone in the oncology department for every scan. She is great. I do have my scans in the same hospital, due to convenience and how quick I can get my hands on the report that I pick up at the medical records department the next day.

I know how you feel Renee. I work in a high school and when we do have warm weather and I wear short sleeves, I have been asked by students what happened to your arm.

I do hope with all my heart that your report will be a great one.

Best,

Doris

Thank you all so much for your replies
    Yeah, it sucked, but it's over. Just getting through the weekend now. I do know about hydration and I did drink tons of water and never do caffeine (arrhythmia). As I said, this has never happened before, so that kinda makes me think a bit of incompetance on the part of the techs.

I so appreciate all of your good wishes for a great report. Tonight, steak dinner with twice-baked potatoes and sweet corn on the cob, chocolate cupcakes with white chocolate frosting and, of course, some great Chardonnay.

Love you all.

Hugs, Renee
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    SIROD said:

For CC - What Would You Do? Contrast dripped on Face
    CC

Two years ago, I had a problem with the CT scan tech. The first time, I had a young woman tech who did try twice, then she call for someone in the ER who came with a vein finder. This RN found veins but they blew and I went home to return the following week. The woman tech told me they would have me go to the oncology center the following week. However, no one made arrangements and I had this young male tech who was a totally arrogant jerk. I told him, "two tries and you find someone else". He tried twice and missed but refuse to call anyone. I just laid there on the slide table and finally let him try one more time. He did access a vein this time. When I notice this tech was on duty for the December ct scan, I told the clerks I wanted no contrast. They had to consult the radiologist who agreed that I could have it that way. In his report the radiologist made a remark "due to the fact that I refused contrast the study was limited".

That is when I made permanent arrangements to go to the oncology center for vein access. I had a ct scan this week. While the RN was trying to locate a vein, she told that the scan center had called and wanted a bigger needle this time as they have a hard time with the contrast going in. I never heard anyone complain about a contrast problem. The RN tried one vein and missed and she did get a vein on her second try. This is the first time she missed a vein and needed a second try.

When I was called for the scan, guess who was the tech. The male tech who gave me such a hard time a few years ago and the one on duty in December when I refused the contrast. He told me that after looking at my chart, he was the one who requested a bigger needle. Then he wrapped the line around my thumb just before he began to start the contrast. My arms were raised leaning on the scanner. The line leaked and I had some of the contrast hit my face, missing my eye by a 1/4 inch.

He quickly gave me a warm face cloth and apologize. Is the contrast something I need to worry about? I don't want him again and I am definitely going to inquire more about the bigger needle problem. Is there such a thing? I have had scans for many medical issues over the past 18 years and no one ever mentioned that the contrast had a difficult time to go in due to the needle size.

I don't like him and he definitely doesn't like me. Though we were both are very polite to each other. I truly don't want him again. What would you do?

Doris

Doris, I would request
    Doris, I would request another tech. If you think this person doesn't like you, there is no reason to worry about it and be any more uncomfortable than you have to be. I can't answer your question about the needle gauge size and the contrast (really not my field), but I would ask a radiologist whether that is true. For my PET and CT scans, from what I can remember, they usually just use a tiny butterfly needle.

I often find that healthcare workers think that they need a huge needle size for everything. Recently, when my physician friend started my IV at home, he started it with a 20 gauge (smaller size), rather than a 16 or 18 (the smaller the gauge, the bigger the needle).

However, just like you, I warned my friend that I have poor veins. He then brought along a head lamp and magnifying glasses and the smaller needle. I warn everyone now and often a nurse will take one look and then send in the person that they think can best get my veins.

Most nurses do have their favorite veins, veins that for some reason they become the most expert accessing. For example, my vein on the side of my forearm they call a "Scott" vein at the infusion center and Scott can always get that bugger for me.

I usually now ask that the person sticking me give it only one try (not two), because, if they are having an off day, I am screwed if they keep missing. And, another secret, even the most expert stickers have off days (bigtime).

I am the one that is called when the nurses can't get an IV in the NICU or ER and usually I get it--not because I am so great, but because I have been doing it for 30 years. Most days I am successful and feel all good about myself, but there are some days when I can't hit the side of a barn. Then I call my other experts and tell them that I am just having a bad IV day. It really does happen to everyone at times.

Also, I have my favorite veins and, if, for example, I only see a foot vein, I call Angelle or someone else who "specializes" in foot veins. Babies wiggle their feet so much that I just hate foot veins. Please don't think less of me, but scalp veins and antecubitals are my specialty veins.

I ramble on, but do find someone you are comfortable with and never feel that you have to let anyone stick you or take care of you if you are not comfortable with that person. We have enough to worry about! We have a right to choose whenever it is possible.
  • CypressCynthia
    Options
    Rague said:

I have great veins

Susan

IV sticks
    Susan, most of the time, it is not hard to start an IV in a human. I do it in tiny premies all of the time. In fact, I love IV's and putting in lines. I am probably mental ;-).

However, many factors can make accessing a human vein very difficult. I can't tell you how many times, after we have all had a tough time with a particularly difficult infant, the mom or dad then tell us that they have really terrible veins too. There definitely seems to be a hereditary component.

Some folks have huge visible rubbery-like veins that roll away when you try and stick them, some have too many valves (me) in their veins and so the catheter will not thread (it gets hung up at a valve), some have no visible veins and some have teeny tiny veins. Dehydration and illness can make even those with good veins suddenly have poop for veins. And, another huge factor for us oldtimers (like Doris and me), sometimes there are no good veins left. My once reliable veins have so much scarring that it sounds and feels like Captain Crunch if you try and put a catheter in one of the veins that have been used too often. I could go on and on, because I really do love starting difficult IV's, but some really are difficult--even for experts.
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Options

IV sticks
    Susan, most of the time, it is not hard to start an IV in a human. I do it in tiny premies all of the time. In fact, I love IV's and putting in lines. I am probably mental ;-).

However, many factors can make accessing a human vein very difficult. I can't tell you how many times, after we have all had a tough time with a particularly difficult infant, the mom or dad then tell us that they have really terrible veins too. There definitely seems to be a hereditary component.

Some folks have huge visible rubbery-like veins that roll away when you try and stick them, some have too many valves (me) in their veins and so the catheter will not thread (it gets hung up at a valve), some have no visible veins and some have teeny tiny veins. Dehydration and illness can make even those with good veins suddenly have poop for veins. And, another huge factor for us oldtimers (like Doris and me), sometimes there are no good veins left. My once reliable veins have so much scarring that it sounds and feels like Captain Crunch if you try and put a catheter in one of the veins that have been used too often. I could go on and on, because I really do love starting difficult IV's, but some really are difficult--even for experts.

Oh CC......
    You just brought me back in time to when my little baby girl (now 33 years old) was hospitalized when she was eight days old because of a staph infection. They put an IV in her head and placed a small paper cup over it. She was my firstborn and delivered by C-Section so it was all very traumatic for me to see my beautiful little baby girl with an IV in her head. I worried that it would cause permanent brain damage. Did you know that's what parents worry about? Anyway, she grew into a very intelligent woman and I am so grateful that someone was able to get an IV into her tiny little veins so she could survive that awful infection. Just wanted to let you know that you are not mental......you are remarkable.

HUGS!!!
    Jamie
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    missrenee said:

Thank you all so much for your replies
    Yeah, it sucked, but it's over. Just getting through the weekend now. I do know about hydration and I did drink tons of water and never do caffeine (arrhythmia). As I said, this has never happened before, so that kinda makes me think a bit of incompetance on the part of the techs.

I so appreciate all of your good wishes for a great report. Tonight, steak dinner with twice-baked potatoes and sweet corn on the cob, chocolate cupcakes with white chocolate frosting and, of course, some great Chardonnay.

Love you all.

Hugs, Renee

Renee you know we're all waiting with you...just wish we could have dinner too! It sounds delicious! I hope you and the stable boy will be dancing the night away!!!

OMG on the bad stick stories...I have a few to choose from. Like the phlebotomist who freaked when I said she needed to draw from my foot/leg, or the time I sat while others were taken before me because of the foot draw. I've got a couple trained in each facility I use regularly so it's not so much of a problem now.

Doris, I hear regularly from CT techs about the gauge of the needle. It was explained to me that they push the contrast through so fast, they have to be sure the needle/port can handle it. I've had techs refuse to use the port unless a doc/nurse was present, I've had techs insist on changing the needle before doing the scan, and others require the chemo nurse who installed the needle stay with me through the scan. It's all in Kaiser, but seems to change when it's the hospital vs. the rad department. It's highly frustrating for me, because I'm not always sure what I need to set up in advance.

Renee, you'll be in my prayers.

Hugs,

Linda
  • SIROD
    Options

Doris, I would request
    Doris, I would request another tech. If you think this person doesn't like you, there is no reason to worry about it and be any more uncomfortable than you have to be. I can't answer your question about the needle gauge size and the contrast (really not my field), but I would ask a radiologist whether that is true. For my PET and CT scans, from what I can remember, they usually just use a tiny butterfly needle.

I often find that healthcare workers think that they need a huge needle size for everything. Recently, when my physician friend started my IV at home, he started it with a 20 gauge (smaller size), rather than a 16 or 18 (the smaller the gauge, the bigger the needle).

However, just like you, I warned my friend that I have poor veins. He then brought along a head lamp and magnifying glasses and the smaller needle. I warn everyone now and often a nurse will take one look and then send in the person that they think can best get my veins.

Most nurses do have their favorite veins, veins that for some reason they become the most expert accessing. For example, my vein on the side of my forearm they call a "Scott" vein at the infusion center and Scott can always get that bugger for me.

I usually now ask that the person sticking me give it only one try (not two), because, if they are having an off day, I am screwed if they keep missing. And, another secret, even the most expert stickers have off days (bigtime).

I am the one that is called when the nurses can't get an IV in the NICU or ER and usually I get it--not because I am so great, but because I have been doing it for 30 years. Most days I am successful and feel all good about myself, but there are some days when I can't hit the side of a barn. Then I call my other experts and tell them that I am just having a bad IV day. It really does happen to everyone at times.

Also, I have my favorite veins and, if, for example, I only see a foot vein, I call Angelle or someone else who "specializes" in foot veins. Babies wiggle their feet so much that I just hate foot veins. Please don't think less of me, but scalp veins and antecubitals are my specialty veins.

I ramble on, but do find someone you are comfortable with and never feel that you have to let anyone stick you or take care of you if you are not comfortable with that person. We have enough to worry about! We have a right to choose whenever it is possible.

For CC
    Thank you for insight on needles and vein access.

My oncologist of many years, I see at large cancer center an hour away from my home. For blood work, scans and treatments, I prefer using the smaller hospital near me. Usually I know the person who will draw blood for me. I have been having monthly blood tests (methotrexate) for years and am a regular. They always give me the best person around for my kind of veins.

It was with the scan department that was becoming a problem. After a long talk with the head of the department, they now turn me over to the oncology department for vein access. The RN from that department is great and I like her. I've known her for years. I am comfortable enough to ask her the questions about what size gauge should be used and to request why they asked for a bigger one this time when there never seem to be a problem in the past. I do really want to know.

There are just so many techs that give scans and I have had them all. I am certain that department sees me as "that woman", so I hate to add another request that I choose who will administer the scan. Have 3 months to think about this one.

Thank you.

Doris
  • SIROD
    Options

IV sticks

Hereditary Component
    I believe there must be some sort of hereditary component to veins. I had an uncle who told me how hard his veins were to access. He was dealing with multiple myeloma at the time. My sister is just like me, a hard stick but, neither of my parents have the problem.

I ask that those monthly blood test go to six weeks instead of 4 weeks. My oncologist gave to ok to do this back in December. I was afraid that those few veins I had would in time become worthless. It is so nice not to have to go in every month. I would be the first to know if something is really off kilter anyway.

CC your the kind of nurse I would request, someone who does pediatric veins. Thank heaven for people like you.

Doris
  • SIROD
    Options
    jamiegww said:

Oh CC......
    You just brought me back in time to when my little baby girl (now 33 years old) was hospitalized when she was eight days old because of a staph infection. They put an IV in her head and placed a small paper cup over it. She was my firstborn and delivered by C-Section so it was all very traumatic for me to see my beautiful little baby girl with an IV in her head. I worried that it would cause permanent brain damage. Did you know that's what parents worry about? Anyway, she grew into a very intelligent woman and I am so grateful that someone was able to get an IV into her tiny little veins so she could survive that awful infection. Just wanted to let you know that you are not mental......you are remarkable.

HUGS!!!
    Jamie

Jamie
    Jamie, I can imagine how terrible it was to see you little girl with an IV in her head.

Both my sons had high bilirubin levels at birth and had to be put under lights. The second time, I expect it and this baby was good size. The first time, I was totally concerned as they kept taking the baby away before I finished nursing him. He was so tiny and I was certain that they were allowing him to starve. Most of my hospital time was spent looking into the nursery window at a baby in box under lights.

Thinking of you.

Doris
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    SIROD said:

Jamie
    Jamie, I can imagine how terrible it was to see you little girl with an IV in her head.

Both my sons had high bilirubin levels at birth and had to be put under lights. The second time, I expect it and this baby was good size. The first time, I was totally concerned as they kept taking the baby away before I finished nursing him. He was so tiny and I was certain that they were allowing him to starve. Most of my hospital time was spent looking into the nursery window at a baby in box under lights.

Thinking of you.

Doris

Way back when, my older son
    Way back when, my older son was born was put under the lights in NICU. It was hilarious to see this 10lb, 2 oz 'monster' in there with all the tinys. His problem was not with RH incompatability (Hubby and I are both RH+) but with the blodd type. I'm O+ and Hubby is B+ and Son was B+. It's very unusual according to. The Drs at the time to have blood problems like this - especially with a first pregnancy. Next Son was O+ (9lb 8oz) and no issues.

Twice I've had to watch while IV's were started in Sons and it was not easy to watch. Younger Son developed 'something' (tests never hproved what) when he was 18 mths old. They had problems getting a vein and Hubby actually got thrown out of the hospital because he has not handling it to good to hear A. crying while they were trying to get a vein. The next time was when Older Son had to have a Dr cut into a deep leg vein because of extreme dehydration when he had Hard Measles (Hubby deployed during Deseet Storm then). What was bad about that is that I'd had him to the ER at the closest hospital and they discarged him with 104 temp after being on a cooling bed and meds for fever for several hours. I went straight to the next nearest hospital with him and they got busy and did save him though it was days before we knew they would. His fever finally boke a few hours before Hubby was to be flown off the carrier.

Sorry for rambling.

Susan