Caution: Things to look for when surfing the net

Lovekitties
Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
When surfing the net looking for information on new treatment options there are several things you need to make note of on anything you find:

1. When was the information published...i.e. how old is this article

2. Have there been controled trials on this treatment...i.e. size of the trial, what controls, some patients receiving new treatment while others did not, have patients received 'old' treatments either prior to or in conjuntion with this new treatment, testing used to verify results, can the treatment be validated as the only thing responsible for the results, etc.

3. Is the article promoting the new treatment done by an independent source or one that actually sells the new treatment?

4. Has any well known and respected cancer institute or physician offered support of this treatment?

As in all things...if it seems too good to be true then it very well may be.

Please use caution, particularly if you are considering giving up treatment options which are current treatment protocol.

Comments

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Please allow me to re-phrase that?

Re:
    "Please use caution, particularly if you are considering giving up
    treatment options which are current treatment protocol."

How about:
    "Please use caution, particularly if you are considering treatment options
    which are current treatment protocol."

Pumping carcinogenic chemicals into one's body in an effort to
    cure what causes cancer, or having radioactive treatments that
    are well known to be powerful carcinogenics for the same effort
    for a "cure", isn't the greatest idea either.... is it.

Cancer victims should try to learn as much as possible about
    all treatments available, and not limit themselves to conventional
    treatment, or to any alternative treatment. The more we learn about
    all the options available, the better our chance for survival!

Healthy wishes to you,

John
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    John23 said:

Please allow me to re-phrase that?

Re:
    "Please use caution, particularly if you are considering giving up
    treatment options which are current treatment protocol."

How about:
    "Please use caution, particularly if you are considering treatment options
    which are current treatment protocol."

Pumping carcinogenic chemicals into one's body in an effort to
    cure what causes cancer, or having radioactive treatments that
    are well known to be powerful carcinogenics for the same effort
    for a "cure", isn't the greatest idea either.... is it.

Cancer victims should try to learn as much as possible about
    all treatments available, and not limit themselves to conventional
    treatment, or to any alternative treatment. The more we learn about
    all the options available, the better our chance for survival!

Healthy wishes to you,

John

As always
    As always there are multiple answers to the question of how to treat a cancer diagnosis.

Since I personally opted out of all current treatment protocol except surgery, I am not one to encourage nor discourage a treatment plan.

Just advising caution as the search for options continues.

Healthy wishes to you as well
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

As always
    As always there are multiple answers to the question of how to treat a cancer diagnosis.

Since I personally opted out of all current treatment protocol except surgery, I am not one to encourage nor discourage a treatment plan.

Thank you for your wise advice Marie.
    I totally agree with it.
  • dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    Know the Source!!!
    I am a

Know the Source!!!

I am a self confessing intermet jumkie, however I understand who is repubitable source and who is not.. and always confirm what you read with a medical professional.. especially if it seems to good to be true..

I am very lucky to have access to medical pro's at work who help me sort out what I find.. and my doc's are very supportive of me in knowing I need to ask lots of questions.

Knowledge is power...
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    great post marie
    i have read it twice.

of all the supplements and treatments i am on, a few less these days.

they have all been recommended by conventional, alternative or naturopaths.

i then go and do my homework, when i get particularly excited i share it here. as you all know.

now realising i have a tendency to see the brightside of things shall we say i really appreciate the comments here, even the negative with respect to something i initially feel positive about.

the comments themselves make me pause, consider what the other person has said and then make a decision. often the supplements are not that expensive.

even some of the worthwhile supplements mentioned here i have run past my team, often to find them poo pooed for specific issues re my strategy.

the issue with your point 4 is i don't want to wait for respected cancer instititute. but i guess its what is respected, and how large.

you see my focus is very selfish in a sense, very self focused, my biology, my genes , my dna , my results to my diet, lifestyle and therapies. the doctors in big fancy hospitals are just not there. the point being the top colorectal place in sydney does not care about leaked gut. where my little intergative oncologist practicing on the quiet here does. so big is not always better, but yes sometimes it is.

my advice to everyone here is simple, if in doubt come here and post and ask a question.
    if your overly keen ( like me mostly ) then come here and ask a question.

Use caution wisely, ok be careful, but given the conventional prognosis is not all roses shall we say how far wrong can we go having some fun with the alternative universe. its like an option contract in finance, its got a very likely expiry date, why not trade aggressively if that suits your personality, ok play it safe and conservative if thats your style. like we say here its up to the individual.

my gcmaf and nagalase posts and the comments are good examples highlighting this issue i think.

more best heart felt advice is simple if doing an alternative cuases stress don't do it.
    if you think its fun, gives you hope, make you feel positive then what harm can it do after you have done heaps of research and discussed with your medical professionals.

even no treatment is a valid choice.

a great post , and well worth everyones consdieration.

with diet, "if it seems to good to be true, it often is"
    well no downside to being a vegan that i can see. getting ample nutrition to heal our healing bodies is not an easy job at any time.

"so sometimes if it seems to good to be true, well it just might be true" and the big boys are to slow to pick it up, or too many vested interests.

dare i say it "conventional medicine" and "fast food" go hand in hand. simple, standard and conservative. evidence based medicine , is the medicine of the masses, of economies of scale and government subsidies. alternative medicine is faster, smaller and more able to adapt.

just look at what craigs onc said about the immune system, now look at what just came out
    http://www.lef.org/news/LefDailyNews.htm?NewsID=13526&Section=DISEASE&utm_source=DailyHealthBulletin&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Disease&utm_content=Body+Title&utm_campaign=DHB_120614

science and breakthroughs happen daily and conventional medicine is just to slow to react.
    in my book if you are willing to move fast, to take risks you have a better chance of survival. not just waiting to see you will be one of the few survivors.

but again i recognise will all do treatments and choices to suit our unique situations. no one size fits all. in many ways i say all sizes may suit us at different times. for me it was conventional all the way earlier on, then altnernative and now more natural based.

hugs,
    pete
  • danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member

As always

as always
    just followed my doctors advise. It wasn't easy, but it worked. I'm still NED!!!
  • danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member

As always

as always
    just followed my doctors advise. It wasn't easy, but it worked. I'm still NED!!!