Looking for a good PET

Options
CivilMatt
CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,723 Member
Everyone

Well, it is time to cross the (first, 12 week post, PET scan) bridge, tomorrow morning at 7:30 am. Can I look for NED yet or is too early? Or do I have to wait for the 6 month or 1 year checkup? Of course I had to have it done on exactly the 12 week mark, which is a Friday so I have to wait through the weekend and beyond for results (1 banana, 2 banana). I don’t do to well in the PET machine so I have my trusty Lorazepam to alter my scared brain. What worries me is it takes a good hour to get infused and ready for the scan and Matt’s little helper will be wearing off, yikes. Oh well, at least there isn’t a mask required.

Peace everyone,

Matt

Comments

  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    little annoyances
    You know, the time in the machine doesn't bother me, the wait doesn't bother me, in fact not much does. Except being BS'ed about stuff. I am due next week or my first PET scan, too. I know what the conversation will be like. Me: "can you infuse through my power port?" Them: "Well, we can, but you'll have to wait a couple of hours for someone who is trained to do that to come down." And so I'll go: "I don't want to wait that long, just stick it to me." Like I said, annoying.....

    Best of luck to you.
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

    little annoyances
    You know, the time in the machine doesn't bother me, the wait doesn't bother me, in fact not much does. Except being BS'ed about stuff. I am due next week or my first PET scan, too. I know what the conversation will be like. Me: "can you infuse through my power port?" Them: "Well, we can, but you'll have to wait a couple of hours for someone who is trained to do that to come down." And so I'll go: "I don't want to wait that long, just stick it to me." Like I said, annoying.....

    Best of luck to you.

    Hope you get NED first time.
    Hope you get NED first time. Doctor tole us 2/3rds have risidual which Jim did.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Maybe/MaybeNot..
    Hard to say, you've been pretty good to go so far....

    I had my first PET at around three months and was lucky, it was clean and clear.

    Good thing too, back then I hadn't joined this forum yet. I would have been devasted having a bad PET, not realizing that a lot of early PET scans show residual.

    I'd tell you to relax and enjoy the week-end, but I'm sure it wouldn't do you any good.

    Best,
    John
  • Tonsil Dad
    Tonsil Dad Member Posts: 488
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

    Maybe/MaybeNot..
    Hard to say, you've been pretty good to go so far....

    I had my first PET at around three months and was lucky, it was clean and clear.

    Good thing too, back then I hadn't joined this forum yet. I would have been devasted having a bad PET, not realizing that a lot of early PET scans show residual.

    I'd tell you to relax and enjoy the week-end, but I'm sure it wouldn't do you any good.

    Best,
    John

    NED-NED-NED
    Praying for NED on your scan tomorrow Matt,
    Fingers crossed for the outcome you want.

    God bless
    Tonsil dad,

    Dan.
  • dclear14
    dclear14 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Best of luck to you Matt,
    Best of luck to you Matt, praying, NED for you.
  • Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    Options
    you may be HOT, HOT, HOT
    Matt, wow seems a tad early for a PET, but every doc has their own process. Mine does not do a PET until 10 months out, but CT w/contrast at 3 and 6 months.

    So, don't freak out if you light up like the 4th of July. You may still be hot at 12 wks.
    (I am not sure I could have dragged my butt TO THE HOSPITAL to even get a PET at 12 wks)

    Nonetheless, I am sending you prayers for the best possible outcome.
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    HATE to Wait
    Sadly, a lot of folks have false positives on their first PET at three months. Well, beats a true positive, I suppose. So I'm thinking at three months, if it lights, chances are you're NOT looking at cancer, if it doesn't light, PARTY. Sorry you've gotta wait for results. Looking forward to you telling us next week that it's party time.
  • Jahnsart
    Jahnsart Member Posts: 41
    Options
    my first pet
    Matt it is the most human condition to be nervous and scared and all those other emotions when facing the results of your first scan. Being in the machine doesn't borer me at all, so I am fortunate there. However. The night before the results I couldn't read or concentrate and I slept fitfully. After I got back home, about 11:30am I actually fell asleep and slept for hours, I didn't realize how stressed I actually was. I never take naps. despite the self pep talks and the minimizing I do, I am always stressed prior to my six week checks. Buenos suerte and I wish you peace and great news.
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Jahnsart said:

    my first pet
    Matt it is the most human condition to be nervous and scared and all those other emotions when facing the results of your first scan. Being in the machine doesn't borer me at all, so I am fortunate there. However. The night before the results I couldn't read or concentrate and I slept fitfully. After I got back home, about 11:30am I actually fell asleep and slept for hours, I didn't realize how stressed I actually was. I never take naps. despite the self pep talks and the minimizing I do, I am always stressed prior to my six week checks. Buenos suerte and I wish you peace and great news.

    Prayers for you Matt...
    My first scan was May 7th / last rad was January 20th ...mine came out "really good" so said the docs with a little uptick in heat around the vocal cords which they said they were not concerned about. I had a scope the same day with my ENT..he said all looked good.

    So I think you are going to be one happy fellow with the results.... :)

    Tim
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    Tim6003 said:

    Prayers for you Matt...
    My first scan was May 7th / last rad was January 20th ...mine came out "really good" so said the docs with a little uptick in heat around the vocal cords which they said they were not concerned about. I had a scope the same day with my ENT..he said all looked good.

    So I think you are going to be one happy fellow with the results.... :)

    Tim

    Matt
    As John stated, the chances of residual are significant, and I say this so that you'll keep your Drs on their toes if something shows. Typically, the first post-tx PS/CT is only to establish a baseline to compare future scans to. I had something that "possibly showed" under my tongue with my first, but it didn't concern my ENT- he simply scheduled the next scan for 8-months later, and said he'd see me afterwards.

    In retrospect, the first post-tx scan was probably the most anxious for me, but only because I was- yep- dumb about it all, and had never heard of this forum, and had no good info. It shoulda been the easiest. Hey- I'd just been thru tx that had not only knocked the C to the canvas, but I figured mighta knocked it out of the ring! It's the yearly scans down the road when the percentages of it coming back get a little greater that I shoulda been glad I wasn't facing...but now being 3+-years, those are the scans I face every April, and so just be glad you're not standing in my grizzled old shoes...Hey, wait a minute! 3+-years! You will get there, Matt, and beyond.

    Believe

    kcass
  • katenorwood
    katenorwood Member Posts: 1,912
    Options
    PETS
    Hey Matt,
    I've had several pet's and totally agree with your issues. Getting stuck in a little room, injected and then....wait, go to the machine....and then wait some more. I wish you luck and good news with the results Matt. And to everyone else including you Matt, what is NED ? Have seen this posted several times, and too dumb to ask...well not dumb, just wanted to know without seeming impossing on peoples posts. Thanks and like I said Matt tons of positive thoughts sent your way ! Katie
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options

    PETS
    Hey Matt,
    I've had several pet's and totally agree with your issues. Getting stuck in a little room, injected and then....wait, go to the machine....and then wait some more. I wish you luck and good news with the results Matt. And to everyone else including you Matt, what is NED ? Have seen this posted several times, and too dumb to ask...well not dumb, just wanted to know without seeming impossing on peoples posts. Thanks and like I said Matt tons of positive thoughts sent your way ! Katie

    NED
    No Evidence of Disease. Is what we're all hoping for, and what Matt's got staring him in the face, as well as what the distant C is lamenting in the distance...

    kcass
  • katenorwood
    katenorwood Member Posts: 1,912
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

    NED
    No Evidence of Disease. Is what we're all hoping for, and what Matt's got staring him in the face, as well as what the distant C is lamenting in the distance...

    kcass

    NED
    Thank you Kent ! No I'm like dah...really Kate. But I guess no question is a dumb question, only the ones we don't ask. Katie
  • Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    Options

    NED
    Thank you Kent ! No I'm like dah...really Kate. But I guess no question is a dumb question, only the ones we don't ask. Katie

    don't feel bad about that
    Hey Kate

    Don't feel bad about not knowing what NED was.....when I first got onto these boards, I did not know what PET was so I saw a post with the title, "Hoping for a good PET" or something like that and I thought....wow this guy just got thru with this awful radiation treatment and now he wants a dog....
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,723 Member
    Options
    Ingrid K said:

    don't feel bad about that
    Hey Kate

    Don't feel bad about not knowing what NED was.....when I first got onto these boards, I did not know what PET was so I saw a post with the title, "Hoping for a good PET" or something like that and I thought....wow this guy just got thru with this awful radiation treatment and now he wants a dog....

    what things mean
    Katie, Ingid

    NED and PET are shortcuts I’ve seen on various threads.

    Search for super thread on the home page and you will find a ton of abbreviations and definitions at the bottom of the thread

    Thanks,

    Matt
  • katenorwood
    katenorwood Member Posts: 1,912
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

    what things mean
    Katie, Ingid

    NED and PET are shortcuts I’ve seen on various threads.

    Search for super thread on the home page and you will find a ton of abbreviations and definitions at the bottom of the thread

    Thanks,

    Matt

    ned
    thank you Ingrid and Matt,
    I will check out the thread on the home page. Very much appreciate info everyone ! warmest regards, Katie
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

    ned
    thank you Ingrid and Matt,
    I will check out the thread on the home page. Very much appreciate info everyone ! warmest regards, Katie

    SuperThread...

    SuperThread
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

    SuperThread...

    SuperThread

    Once again...
    John...just love it when you post that superthread...soooo much good info.

    Thanks,

    Tim