One of THOSE issues

Options
omrhill
omrhill Member Posts: 125
It's about poop. Just sayin' now, in case you don't want to read it. (And actually it's more about doubt if you read between the lines.)

So, I just finished my pre-surgical 5FU/radiation therapy and am waiting until August for surgery. I had a normal BM today! Meaning, not diarrhea. I've had diarrhea for a month, so I just had to tell someone who would understand what a big deal this is!!! However (and this is the THAT part), it was long and pencil thin, like it was before I was diagnosed. And I know those type of BMs are a symptom of CRC. So then my mind got to going, and before I knew it I was panicking because "the chemo/radiation didn't work!" "Surely if it had worked, I would have different BMs." (Geez, have I really gotten to THIS place??? Observing and obsessing over BMs???)

It's all in my head, I think. I hope. I told myself that the radiation keeps working for several weeks, and it's not realistic to expect to go back to regular (whatever that may be) right away.

Can someone please talk me out of these doubts? I know they're unfounded, but I need the voice of "i've been there" reason.

Ugh,
Robin

Comments

• dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Don't go there
    I truly don't recall my BM ever being different during that phase of the treatment..
    Depending on where your tumor or nodules are located may be causing this to occurr..
    I would not worry.. I am sure you have a dr appointment before August when you may want to confirm with Docs what to expect.
    I am not saying not to pay attention.. just don't stress at this point.. it won't help. You are on target with the process.. just keep going..

Sending you Positive thoughts.. ..
    Donna
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    "I've Been There"
    Radiation really does a number on your insides, Robin...my GI, onc and rad onc all told me that my intestines were "Fried Like Bacon."

As the treatments continued, I noticed what looked to be skin lining in the bowl...it looked like a snake when it sheds its skin....turns out that it was my intestinal lining "Sloughing Off"...just like a snake...it was extremely unnerving, even when I finally knew what it was.

Right now, there is massive inflammation in there and everything is swollen so big. It's to be expected...you know how your skin gets when you get sunburned from the sun outside?

Exactly.

Say hello to your insides now. it's just suffered alot of trauma...there should be a cool down period of approximately six-weeks before your surgery...

Now, that I'm re-reading, I see you are scheduled for surgery in August? I'm hopeful that it will be scheduled in the first week of August.

Normally, the doctors will tell you there is a 6-7 week period of 'healing' before surgery...they don't want to go in there too early, because it's a mess and inflammed...and they don't want to wait too late, because scar tissue is formed - and that could make things more difficult.

It's a really fine line...looking at the calendar with today being 06-14-12....six weeks would put us at the very end of July...so August sounds good...I would see what the date was...and if it were mid to late month, I would ask my surgeon about it.

But it sounds like you are on schedule.

After surgery, don't put an unrealistic timetable on your recovery...the bowels need time to re-train themselves - to learn how the new plumbing is going to work. And this takes time - it's variable for all of us.

We'll talk more about that when you get to that stop.

Radiation is the gift that keeps on giving and it sounds like you have all of the associated issues with that. I would mention this to your radiation onc just so they are aware and have it on record that you reported it.

Hang in there!

Truth be told - I had gotten to the point where I was so sick...that I had forgotten what a normal BM looked like....these were terrible, but I just got used to it...

It took me a long time to recover from the radiation and the resection...I did not get a temp ostomy so that area never got any rest - it was used and abused...

Just keep in mind that radiation and surgery are major traumas to the body - and as such the body lets you know about it.

Best wishes going forward!

-Craig
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    Options
    Nom prespiritum dictum dung
    Hey Robin, good to hear that yo're past the "go and blow" phase. I still carry incontinence pants just in case I get a sudden bout of diarrhea. As those before me have said, don't be overly concerned because you are going through a healing phase right now. As always, let your onc know about anything that causes you concern, no matter how trivial it might seem. With this stuff, even trivial matters can be big deals. Come August 10 it will be two years that I finished rad and even now I'll get BMs just like you've described. It all depends on so many variables that we simply can't expect any BM to be "normal."

God Bless and I'll be praying that your surgery goes well!

Doc/Ray
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Doc_Hawk said:

Nom prespiritum dictum dung
    Hey Robin, good to hear that yo're past the "go and blow" phase. I still carry incontinence pants just in case I get a sudden bout of diarrhea. As those before me have said, don't be overly concerned because you are going through a healing phase right now. As always, let your onc know about anything that causes you concern, no matter how trivial it might seem. With this stuff, even trivial matters can be big deals. Come August 10 it will be two years that I finished rad and even now I'll get BMs just like you've described. It all depends on so many variables that we simply can't expect any BM to be "normal."

God Bless and I'll be praying that your surgery goes well!

Doc/Ray

I seem to notice my poop a
    I seem to notice my poop a lot more now too....weird. After chemo. it's finally back to normal, all through chemo. I took meds to combat the diarrhea.....last night out of the blue I had the runs (I haven't had chemo. since October) ...I started to panic...but two weeks ago I just had a completely normal colonoscopy by my surgeon....so it must be something I ate!! I didn't take anything for it and it went away on it's own.....
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I've been there :)
    The radiation caused stricture and that's what's causing things do look like they do. (Been there, done that :) I wouldn't be surprised if the radiation is now causing pain, but be very very careful with the pain meds as they clog you up and make things even more difficult.
    Things will change as your body adapts and loosens up to a new normal.
    For your surgery, will you also get a temporary ileostomy? In some ways it works to your advantage as it gives the rectal inflammation a chance to calm down.
    Also, don't be surprised if sex becomes a bothersome issue too because of stricture, but this will change for the better also.
    Time is what it's going to take...
    Hang in there~
    Take care,
    Tommycat
  • Momof2plusteentwins
    Momof2plusteentwins Member Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    tommycat said:

I've been there :)
    The radiation caused stricture and that's what's causing things do look like they do. (Been there, done that :) I wouldn't be surprised if the radiation is now causing pain, but be very very careful with the pain meds as they clog you up and make things even more difficult.
    Things will change as your body adapts and loosens up to a new normal.
    For your surgery, will you also get a temporary ileostomy? In some ways it works to your advantage as it gives the rectal inflammation a chance to calm down.
    Also, don't be surprised if sex becomes a bothersome issue too because of stricture, but this will change for the better also.
    Time is what it's going to take...
    Hang in there~
    Take care,
    Tommycat

I'm right ahead of you a few weeks
    I finished my chemo/radiation 4 weeks ago and my stool is getting a little more normal everyday. I am having surgery next week. Sometimes I have diarrhea sometimes almost normal stool size. It will get better everyday. I haven't had any pain. Hopefully the tumor has shrunk.
    Good luck,
    Sandy
  • danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

I'm right ahead of you a few weeks
    I finished my chemo/radiation 4 weeks ago and my stool is getting a little more normal everyday. I am having surgery next week. Sometimes I have diarrhea sometimes almost normal stool size. It will get better everyday. I haven't had any pain. Hopefully the tumor has shrunk.
    Good luck,
    Sandy

Momof2+
    Good luck with your upcomming surery. I find LOMOTIL the best bet for stopping diarrhea.
  • omrhill
    omrhill Member Posts: 125
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You have
    Thanks everyone. You have calmed me, which is just what I needed. And you have made me feel not alone, again.

I get re-evaluated by the surgeon on July 20th and follow up with oncologists on July 23rd. Assuming all goes well then, we’ll do surgery on August 2nd. I’m still having radiation issues – Ouch! Craig, your description of the sunburn, and internal swelling, is perfect. And, lest I spend too much time worrying about yesterday’s BM – this morning I had an accident because I couldn’t get to the bathroom fast enough. That’s what I get for my obsession yesterday.

Sandy – I’ll keep an eye out for the results of your surgery next week. I’ve been thinking a lot about what’s to come. Did some on-line research last night on colostomies. Now that was depressing. Everyone who’s had one tells me they’re really not so bad. I guess like anything else, it’s a change and we have to get used to it. Eight weeks ago I thought chemo and radiation were foreign.

Thanks again for uplifts!
    Robin
  • steved
    steved Member Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Poo obsession
    Get prepared for a bit of a long term poo obssession- I'm 8 years into this and still can't help but check what marvels I have produced today and wonder what it means. I have learnt it usually means nothing, but hey. I really don't remember what 'normal' motions were like to tell the truth.
    Things will change ut it will be unpredictable and individual- some get away with little change and normal habit while others are more disabled by irritable bowels into the long term- it really has little to do with the effectiveness of the treatment and seems a more random process. Radiotherapy does cause scarring of tissues it burns and thus can cause a degree of constricting in the bowel making motions more narrow- but that usually takes longer to happen and I would suspect you are simply having a variety cahnges in your bowels partly due to chemo, partly raiotherapy and partly the cancer.
    Good taht you are aware of teh unhelpful thoughts though as it is a big part of dealing with this whole thing. Stopping those thoughts dominating and leading to panic or depressions is important. They are also normal thoughts though so sometime giving yourself some time in teh day to specifically allow all those thoughts to flow, then stopping them, rationalising and getting on with your day can be useful. Just don't let the take over.
    steve
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    Options
    omrhill said:

Thanks everyone. You have
    Thanks everyone. You have calmed me, which is just what I needed. And you have made me feel not alone, again.

I get re-evaluated by the surgeon on July 20th and follow up with oncologists on July 23rd. Assuming all goes well then, we’ll do surgery on August 2nd. I’m still having radiation issues – Ouch! Craig, your description of the sunburn, and internal swelling, is perfect. And, lest I spend too much time worrying about yesterday’s BM – this morning I had an accident because I couldn’t get to the bathroom fast enough. That’s what I get for my obsession yesterday.

Sandy – I’ll keep an eye out for the results of your surgery next week. I’ve been thinking a lot about what’s to come. Did some on-line research last night on colostomies. Now that was depressing. Everyone who’s had one tells me they’re really not so bad. I guess like anything else, it’s a change and we have to get used to it. Eight weeks ago I thought chemo and radiation were foreign.

Thanks again for uplifts!
    Robin

Oops accidents
    I can deal with the fog and exhaustion that comes with chemo, or the nausea for that matter. The hiccups are irritating, but again I can deal with them. I can accept the pink patches showing where there once was blonde hair, "losing" words and being easily distracted like a squirrel with a bright shiney object. It's those annoying accidents when you just can't make it to the bathroom in time that can either piss me off like there's no tomorrow or make me want to sit down in a dark room and cry. Usually it's the former, especially when I have to throw away a pair of skivvies from a pack that I'd just bought the week before. So Robin, yo have my sympathy on any past and future accidents and just try to remember that wonderful little bumper sticker from the 90s: sh*t happens!