New numbers

Options
Doc_Hawk
Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
Well, I got the results from my labs yesterday and my CEA is up from 130 to 181 and my magnesium level is down in the danger zone again: 0.8. But, the onc did say that I'm responding very well to treatment, so maybe this slight jump in CEA is an aberration like the one a couple of months ago. Just have to wait two weeks for the next treatment to tell. I'm starting to feel like a yo-yo with the way my numbers are bouncing.

Comments

• steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    Options
    crazy
    This stuff is crazy..pray all is good. Jeff
  • gophergenius
    gophergenius Member Posts: 33
    Options
    I'll be thinking of you...
    If you you'd like, come up with more "subject" lines that have to do with a song...I was always quite entertained by that and it made me chuckle. Perhaps it will help your thoughts fade until you know for sure. I'll be wishing you the best.
  • steved
    steved Member Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Numbers Schmumbers!
    From what you post you have been getting on with your life and it sounds like the docs are happy with your progress. Don't let the numbers rule you and how you interpret your situation. We can allow this illness to rule our lives and results become the holy grail that leaves us feeling like passive 'yoyos' as you say. They are one piece of information amongst many and keep your eye focused on the bigger picture.

steve
  • fatbob2010
    fatbob2010 Member Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Feeling good?
    Hang in there Doc...sounds like, from your posts, that you are thriving. We all seem to have scanxiety and labxiety. Doc said he's seeing good things and the numbers are just that numbers...Streaming good thoughts your way for numbers that will be more pleasing to you next labs.
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

Feeling good?
    Hang in there Doc...sounds like, from your posts, that you are thriving. We all seem to have scanxiety and labxiety. Doc said he's seeing good things and the numbers are just that numbers...Streaming good thoughts your way for numbers that will be more pleasing to you next labs.

Great the doc. says you're
    Great the doc. says you're responding well to the chemo. My oncologist never tells me the CEA levels...I only ever saw them when I would ask for my blood report when I was at chemo.. Did he send you to a nutritionist to address the issue with the magnesium levels??
  • omrhill
    omrhill Member Posts: 125
    Options
    There's no telling... My CEA
    There's no telling... My CEA levels have always been normal. We do all that we can, but then we just have to shake our heads and trust God/fate/karma/rabbits feet. I'm still new at this, but it sounds like your doc is not overly concerned. I hope you're well padded to handle all the bouncing!

Robin
  • dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I don't know
    I am not really into looking at the numbers much..

My Question... is how are you feeling...
    if good.. than keep doing what you are and add to it anything that may help
    if bad... find out what you need to change to feel better... and do it..

My CEA is non responsive.. always 2.. but yet I have mets.. so I have no numbers to really follow.. yet my bloodcount has fallen slightly.. but still in my normal range..

Take care Doc... I am sure that increase in unsettling.. but if you have seen this happen in the past maybe the next test will bring it back down...

You are in my prayers.. <<HUGS>>
    Donna
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Possibly.....
    Ray, your numbers may actually be on the rise, because you are showing good response to the treatments.

When cancer cells die, them emit a protein marker into the bloodstream that can elevate the CEA levels for a time. This is possibly what is happening for you...it's a good sign if it is. It means you are having a good response.

Hopefully, these numbers will slide back down for your next check...my oncologist did not check for CEA when I was on chemo.....they knew that the numbers were variable during treatments....bigger markers for me were WBC and Platelet....essential to continue treatments.

CEA has so many variables....when it was in my liver, CEA looked to matter....when it went to my lung, I actually had a 0.5 reading with a tumor embedded in my rib cage the size of a tangerine.

I knew then that I was done chasing numbers. I know the number is alarming - I'd be taking note too...but you're in treatment and the numbers do vary...

Best of luck as you move forward.

-Craig
  • Doc_Hawk
    Options
    Thank you all
    Funny that the musical references should be mentioned, I use those when I send out a mass email to friends and family with my progress. It's one way to let them know that it's really from me and not spam (my old email address got hacked a year or so ago.)

When the London Fog in my brain cleared after treatment the other night, it occurred to me that maybe the reason chemo has been so rough the past three times is because with fewer cancer cells to attack, the drano is going after the healthy cells more. I'm not really too concerned about this jump simply for what Sundance (great handle btw) said about dying cancer cells emitting more protein and causing a false high. Except for feeling tired, I do feel pretty darn spiffy over all today. Course it helped getting a lot of sleep last night and then getting a phone call from the woman I'm hopelessly in love with first thing after waking!

As for the numbers, I keep an eye on them so that I can adjust my diet accordingly. Unfortunately, I cook for my parents as well as myself and we all have different dietary requirements. I need more green leafy vegetables to bring up the mag levels, but my dad can't eat them because he's on blood thinners. My onc hasn't put me in touch with a dietitian but I do pay very close attention to cravings. That's a manifestation of the body in response to something it needs. I've really been wanting spinach (a great source of mag) even before I started getting the magnesium level checked.

Thanks again, all! Even though we've never met, I love ya all!

Doc/Ray
  • tommycat
    tommycat Member Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    When is your next CT
    When is your next CT scan?
    tommycat
  • gophergenius
    gophergenius Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Doc_Hawk said:

Thank you all
    Funny that the musical references should be mentioned, I use those when I send out a mass email to friends and family with my progress. It's one way to let them know that it's really from me and not spam (my old email address got hacked a year or so ago.)

When the London Fog in my brain cleared after treatment the other night, it occurred to me that maybe the reason chemo has been so rough the past three times is because with fewer cancer cells to attack, the drano is going after the healthy cells more. I'm not really too concerned about this jump simply for what Sundance (great handle btw) said about dying cancer cells emitting more protein and causing a false high. Except for feeling tired, I do feel pretty darn spiffy over all today. Course it helped getting a lot of sleep last night and then getting a phone call from the woman I'm hopelessly in love with first thing after waking!

As for the numbers, I keep an eye on them so that I can adjust my diet accordingly. Unfortunately, I cook for my parents as well as myself and we all have different dietary requirements. I need more green leafy vegetables to bring up the mag levels, but my dad can't eat them because he's on blood thinners. My onc hasn't put me in touch with a dietitian but I do pay very close attention to cravings. That's a manifestation of the body in response to something it needs. I've really been wanting spinach (a great source of mag) even before I started getting the magnesium level checked.

Thanks again, all! Even though we've never met, I love ya all!

Doc/Ray

Doc...
    I hope my comments about your musical references is not a problem, I just picked up on them when you post...kind of like "London Fog"...I remember that line of rain coats back in the day, I do not know if the company is still around. LOL I wish you all the best.
  • Doc_Hawk
    Options
    tommycat said:

When is your next CT
    When is your next CT scan?
    tommycat

Scan
    I just had a scan last month and it showed some amazing results. The tumor in my lung is "virtually gone" and for the first time since my dx we were able to count the number of tumors in the liver. The biggest one there is about 1/5 of the size it was a year ago. That's the main reason why I'm thinking this jump is just dead cells getting sloughed off.