chest vs arm port

Options
sfelber7833
sfelber7833 Member Posts: 2
I am to get my port put in tomorrow(eeks).I have a choice and didn't know which is better? I think I'd prefer arm but some feel it's more apt to infection. HELP :)

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I wasn't given a choice, my
    I wasn't given a choice, my port is in my right chest about two to three inches below my collar bone. It also is just inside my bra strap. In case you're wondering, I don't have any problems with it showing except when I wear my swimsuit.

It was sore/pulled a little for about two weeks, and I have not had any problems since then. In fact, most of the time I'm not even aware of it.

I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Linda
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Port placement
    It is interesting that you were given a choice of putting the port in your arm or your chest. The general standard is on the upper chest but I have seen people with it on their arm, also. I was not given a choice and had mine put in my upper chest just below my collarbone. I think if I HAD been given a choice I would probably have chosen the chest anyway. It seems to me that with the way our arms are constantly in use there is more likelihood that it will get accidentally bumped. In addition, now that summer is just about here, an arm port will be more visible. The chest port is a small protrusion that can easily be hidden under clothing or a scarf. I do have a small scar (an inch long?) from the port insertion/removal but when I am clothed it can't be seen by anyone.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

IRENE
  • sfelber7833
    sfelber7833 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I wasn't given a choice, my
    I wasn't given a choice, my port is in my right chest about two to three inches below my collar bone. It also is just inside my bra strap. In case you're wondering, I don't have any problems with it showing except when I wear my swimsuit.

It was sore/pulled a little for about two weeks, and I have not had any problems since then. In fact, most of the time I'm not even aware of it.

I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Linda

Thanks Linda, Since I work
    Thanks Linda, Since I work out a lot & hope to still maintain some level of biking/running & swimming, I thought the arm might be better. I just had my bi-lateral w reconst & oopherectomy on 5/18. My chest is still sore & the thought of someone poking it right now doean't sound good :)
    steph
  • Monicalynn
    Monicalynn Member Posts: 61
    Options

Port placement
    It is interesting that you were given a choice of putting the port in your arm or your chest. The general standard is on the upper chest but I have seen people with it on their arm, also. I was not given a choice and had mine put in my upper chest just below my collarbone. I think if I HAD been given a choice I would probably have chosen the chest anyway. It seems to me that with the way our arms are constantly in use there is more likelihood that it will get accidentally bumped. In addition, now that summer is just about here, an arm port will be more visible. The chest port is a small protrusion that can easily be hidden under clothing or a scarf. I do have a small scar (an inch long?) from the port insertion/removal but when I am clothed it can't be seen by anyone.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

IRENE

Mine was placed on the left
    Mine was placed on the left side of my chest, once the initial soreness went away I can only tell its there if I run my hand over it or use a tank top that I can see the scar. It does not affect my range of motion or arm use after it fully healed.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I wasnt given a choice
    I asked why some had them in their arm, the PA with the radiologist said that usually is not a power port but some kind of a pic line? I didn't question it more but am curious so hoping that someone will be able to answer it also!

I gotta say, I LOVE MY PORT!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    camul said:

I wasnt given a choice
    I asked why some had them in their arm, the PA with the radiologist said that usually is not a power port but some kind of a pic line? I didn't question it more but am curious so hoping that someone will be able to answer it also!

I gotta say, I LOVE MY PORT!

PICC line
    I wonder if the "port" they're offering you in your arm is actually a PICC line?

A few women here who weren't able to have ports for some reason have talked about PICC lines in their arms, and most have said how much more difficult they are to clean and maintain than a port. So I'd be sure to ask for more information about that before making your decision. Some women here have also posted photos of their PICC lines, and they're quite large, obvious, and not very pretty, whereas a port can be pretty much covered up. Google "PICC line," and you'll see photos of them.

Traci
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Thanks Linda, Since I work
    Thanks Linda, Since I work out a lot & hope to still maintain some level of biking/running & swimming, I thought the arm might be better. I just had my bi-lateral w reconst & oopherectomy on 5/18. My chest is still sore & the thought of someone poking it right now doean't sound good :)
    steph

We are all different
    I wasn't given a choice - BUT mine was put in for neo-adjuvant chemo (pre - surgery) on the none surgery side. I'd be concerned about having one put in post bilateral surgery and the possible increased potential for lymphedema.

My port has been in since Aug 09 and it does not in any way cause me any problems with anything I do. I am very active - ride my horses and my bike, mow several yards (mine and to help neighbors), work out several times a week at the gym, do anything I want to do.

I've heard of ports being put in arms but never heard that there was increased potential for infection with them but with PICC lines there is.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan
  • Lynne Logan
    Lynne Logan Member Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Port vs
    I had a port for my first cancer and hated it!!! It was directly below my collarbone and when I used my arm I'd get pain that radiated into my shoulder. I think it just rubbed. To add insult to injury I developed an embolism during the removal and was rushed by ambulance to the ER.
    I have been diagnosed with a new breast cancer and after mastectomy will once again go through the chemo/rads. I was dead set against another port until I researched. The port is probably the wisest choice. I talked to my surgeon and he promised to put it far enough below my collar bone so I'd have no trouble.
    That was supposed to happen this morning except the OR's imaging machine went on the fritz so I'm in a holding pattern right now.
    The PICC does require help (a third hand) and maintenance.
    Best to you with your treatment,
    Lynne
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I had a port
    I had a port installed. I didn't have any problems with it, nor did it interfere with wearing a bra. It worked great for me and I have no regrets.

There was a patient at the infusion clinic where I went who had a pic line(?). I remember the patient sharing with the nurse about how her pic line occasionally snagged on her clothes or the friction irritated her arm from time to time. I also remember the lady had some attachments that suspended from her arm. These attachments were secured to her arm when she was done with her infusion. I think they bandaged her arm afterwards. I don't know if showering was an issue as well.

Best of luck with your decision and your recovery.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

I had a port
    I had a port installed. I didn't have any problems with it, nor did it interfere with wearing a bra. It worked great for me and I have no regrets.

There was a patient at the infusion clinic where I went who had a pic line(?). I remember the patient sharing with the nurse about how her pic line occasionally snagged on her clothes or the friction irritated her arm from time to time. I also remember the lady had some attachments that suspended from her arm. These attachments were secured to her arm when she was done with her infusion. I think they bandaged her arm afterwards. I don't know if showering was an issue as well.

Best of luck with your decision and your recovery.

Port over PICC...
    My best friend had a PICC line in her arm...she was miserable with it...it snagged on everything as it has two lines hanging down, even if it was covered wit a mesh bandage....the care of it was daily, if I remember it had to be flushed daily...with a port, mine is a Bard Power Port..once it was implanted there is no care...it's the best thing...I didn't have a port my first go round with chemo...Now my chemo is indefinite as I am stage IV...it's a blessing! So glad to have it...I use a numbing cream about an hour before the infusion and I never feel the needle prick...it's so much easier to move around especially if you need to go to the bathroom during the infusion...I love mine!

Hugs, Nancy