Robin Roberts..Good Morning America..

Options
MAJW
MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
Have you heard about Robin Roberts? She had bc 5 years ago...I remember seeing her on the show, bald...a real trooper! She has developed what is called MSD...you can goggle it for an explanation of what exactly it is...but it was caused by her chemo...they never said what chemo cocktail she had....it is like leukemia....she will start chemo on Monday and have a bone marrow transplant towards the end of the year...they didn't have to look far for a donor.. her sister is a perfect match!

It came as a surprise to me as I was and I'm sure many of us were never told of this possible side effect....to late for me to worry about this..I'm on my second go round of chemo....with no end in sight...but I am definitely going to talk to my oncologist about it next week before my chemo that day...as the Avastn I'm on has caused my platelets to drop...if they drop to low I can't have chemo until they become within normal range...it's sad that she survived her bc due to chemo, and now faced with this due to her "cure" of her bc....let's add her to our prayers...

Just wanted to pass this along for those who may not have heard about this...
Hugs, Nancy

Comments

• jerseygirl231
    jerseygirl231 Member Posts: 178
    Options
    When I googled it
    It show the drugs that could cause it,also it said it was rare . My prayers are with her and her family. Now I am worried if it will show up in me now. The drugs were in my chemo mix
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Class Act
    Yes, I heard about Robin Roberts on fb. I saw the clip in which she shared with the public about her latest upcoming battle. What a class act. Her colleagues sat by her side and offered their support, prayers and help.

I know some get tired of hearing how brave one is; but Robin, I have to say, is brave for sharing this personal hardship with the public. The nation and those who watch the morning show will be cheering her on and she gets ready to battle her latest foe. It was wonderful to hear her sister is a perfect match for a bone marrow transplant. She is a strong and healthy woman and I know God will see her through this latest setback.

As for chemo, I don't regret undergoing treatment. It kept me alive as my type of cancer is very aggressive. There are no guarantees in live. No one knows what the future holds, not even our doctors. I trust in God and know that He will see me through and continue to watch over me and my family, no matter what. Having this belief gives me peace.

God bless Robin and her family.
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Options

Class Act
    Yes, I heard about Robin Roberts on fb. I saw the clip in which she shared with the public about her latest upcoming battle. What a class act. Her colleagues sat by her side and offered their support, prayers and help.

I know some get tired of hearing how brave one is; but Robin, I have to say, is brave for sharing this personal hardship with the public. The nation and those who watch the morning show will be cheering her on and she gets ready to battle her latest foe. It was wonderful to hear her sister is a perfect match for a bone marrow transplant. She is a strong and healthy woman and I know God will see her through this latest setback.

As for chemo, I don't regret undergoing treatment. It kept me alive as my type of cancer is very aggressive. There are no guarantees in live. No one knows what the future holds, not even our doctors. I trust in God and know that He will see me through and continue to watch over me and my family, no matter what. Having this belief gives me peace.

I read too that radiation
    I read too that radiation can bring this on. This woman is remarkable. She never waivers in her Faith. I love Robin for her strength and integrity.

It is great news that her sister is a match. God is definitely watching over them.

Hugs and Love to ALL

Mary
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    MsGebby said:

I read too that radiation
    I read too that radiation can bring this on. This woman is remarkable. She never waivers in her Faith. I love Robin for her strength and integrity.

It is great news that her sister is a match. God is definitely watching over them.

Hugs and Love to ALL

Mary

I think they told me about it
    I'm not sure how I knew this could happen, but I did. I also know a woman who has it.

The thing is, we're living longer after our diagnoses, so we're living long enough that many of us are developing some of these long term side effects.

Chemo is nasty stuff, but I have no regrets for having had it. The risks of my cancer returning without chemo were higher than the risk of me developing something like this down the road.

I hope Robin does well with her treatments and lives on and on and on. The media is sure making it sound hopeful for her and hope is so important. The only positive thing about this is that she will raise awareness about this illness that she would not have developed had she not had breast cancer in the first place. I take issue with the media saying she beat breast cancer. It's hyperbole like this that makes the general public think breast cancer is nothing and we just have to have treatment and we're all better with nothing to worry about.
    Suzanne
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options

Class Act

I am a fan of both
    I love Robin Roberts.

Her sister, Sally Ann Roberts, is amazing too. Sally Ann has been a local morning anchor in New Orleans for decades. Her faith, optimism and grace under pressure have made her a local favorite for years. What a family! Their parents must be pretty special to have raised such strong and lovely daughters
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    As hard as this was to hear
    I was really excited that the donor no longer has to go through all the poking and bone marrow procedures. They were saying that her sister will take medicine that will separate what they need and then they will do the transplant as though they are transfusing blood from her to Robin. They have come so far in 2 years.

My son has ET, and my other son will hopefully be his donor when he is ready for the BMT, and
    one brother is preparing for a BMT. He has CLL (chronic lymphomic leukemia). He was treated with 3 rounds of chemo last year. From the treatment, he ended up with SCL (Small Cell Lymphoma), and from both treatments he now needs a BMT>

I was told b4 starting treatment the first time that one of the possible se from the treatment is leukemia. My nephew who was treated for embryonic liver cancer in children when he was 8-10 (he is now 10), was also told that from the radiation and chemo that he is a candidate for a leukemia in the future. They reminded him of this on his last visit, now that he is only being seen 1x a year, so that he will be proactive if he feels unusually tired, etc.

I too love Robin Roberts. Most of all because of the grace and directness that she presented her disease the first time around. She presented it as a normal person, rather than as a celebrity and was so gracious to everyone for their support.