2»

Comments

• Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Outlier
    Since you like statistics, I look at myself as an "Outlier";

An outlier is an observation that lies an abnormal distance from other values in a random sample from a population. In a sense, this definition leaves it up to the analyst (or a consensus process) to decide what will be considered abnormal. Before abnormal observations can be singled out, it is necessary to characterize normal observations.

Just because I am Abi-Normal...

JG

JG / Skiffin ...
    Now that Sir is good. In fact so good I think I will use that on my next presentation to ownership (hotel owners). In this current environment general managers are dropping like flies ..and I need all the ammo in my case I can get.

(NOTE: I have to do revenue projections and presentations of futre / past performance) ....

Really...I like that!!

Thanks,

Tim
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    Tim6003 said:

JG / Skiffin ...
    Now that Sir is good. In fact so good I think I will use that on my next presentation to ownership (hotel owners). In this current environment general managers are dropping like flies ..and I need all the ammo in my case I can get.

(NOTE: I have to do revenue projections and presentations of futre / past performance) ....

Really...I like that!!

Thanks,

Tim

Normal??
    Skiffin 16,

I actually used the word outlier (recently) on some data in an engineer’s report on Base Flood Elevations for a river study. Wow, I never thought of myself as, maybe, Abi-Normal. I guess there is the Old Normal, the New Normal and the Abi-Normal.

Matt
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options

additional comment
    I should add to this comment that if you know the etiology of your cancer, you can look at different numbers. So for instance with the survival advantage that an HPV16 cause has, the percentage of survival at 5 years goes up significantly. I can get you links to the peer reviewed science articles that speak to this.

Hmmm...
    NPC is supposed to be around 95%. Kinda hard to throw all the different H&Ns into one stat that has any value. For instance, I've heard some Esophageal has about a 5%, and am aware of another couple with pretty bad survivals. And yet all my Drs have told me I'm in the 90-95% class. We are all different- types, places with C, stages and how soon it was caught, age and general health. And, of course, there are those among us, here, who have survived over 15 years. Also, how can one calculate on a 5-year to include people like me and my 3+ years, and I wonder just how many of the total number of Patients were included, and if the actual quality of care and treatment were factored?

For me, the only thing I care the most about is Nasopharyngeal, stage-3, unknown Primary, treated in the USA with the specific treatment I got, and how the C responded to that treatment. That's just about the only percentage that really applies to me.

kcass
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

Normal??
    Skiffin 16,

I actually used the word outlier (recently) on some data in an engineer’s report on Base Flood Elevations for a river study. Wow, I never thought of myself as, maybe, Abi-Normal. I guess there is the Old Normal, the New Normal and the Abi-Normal.

Matt

10%?
    Kinda reminds me of SPC/Statistical Process Control- the medical version, or course. That would be to take 5 of every so-many and chart/include them...

A few of you may remember my mentioning an extensive medical history, pre-C. I was in a bad car accident, and when the Surgeon came out of the OR after the initial 5-hour meatball surgery he told my Dad, (exact quote) "Mr.-----, I'm not a betting man, but if I was I couldn't even give your Son a 10% chance of living." He then went on to say that if I made it 48-hours, then my percentages would improve a bit with each passing hour. Well, that was November of 1968, and I was 13-years old. I'm 57 1/2, now. A lotta Ops followed that initial Op (4 more in Freeport, Il., then 18 in Chicago), and when all was said and done I was told they had fixed me with a 50% paralysis mixed into a 75% total fix by early 1971. And now I'm 3+-years post NPC unknown Primary...Percentagewise, I shoulda been gone a long time ago, but I'm still here, and I would not advise any percentages getting in my way, you know, because I get a kick outta proving them wrong.

kcass
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

Normal??
    Skiffin 16,

Matt

I stayed away from this thread on purpose....
    I don't want to hear stats, and prognosis of my disease in a cold format. When I was reading it, I said to self "what in the hell are you reading this for"......BUT, I read all the comments from everyone, and feel much better...thanks everybody.

p