Options
2»

Comments

• dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Helen321 said:

I have several friends that
    I have several friends that have asked me every day how I am. have politely been saying okay enough but to my real friends I've been saying zip it! Everyone is catching on except one person so I've stopped responding to her, I go right to another subject, don't pick up her calls, don't respond to her texts. My family was loving me to death so I told them that they don't have to worry about cancer because I'm being loved to death. They've finally stopped saying it. I'm willing to call your friends and tell them to back off along with mine! I'm feeling the power, I can be your polite backoff already sidekick.

All those food changes must be very hard. I've changed just the basics and I'm feeling sluggish. Trying to tweak it all so I've decided to see a nutritionist. Giving up sugar has been hard and I'm trying to find replacement energy. I'm going to talk to the medical oncologist about the synthroid, hopefully he'll be more knowledgable. I've always taken my synthroid at night on a semi full stomach so I must absorb it well. I'm sorry you can't eat so many things. Good that you can still do cow's milk. How do you make sure you are getting enough nutrition and vitamins?

Diet,, Diet, Diet
    Don't be surprised if you med onc knows very little about syntroid..
    With thyroid cancer they give alot of synthroid to surpress the human TSH.. whem my original onc saw how low my TSH was it was .5 she was sending it to my endo to correct that.. I had to educate her and tell her it was supposed to be as close to 0 as I can get it.. as we don't want any TSH as that might be cancerous... she had no clue...

Diet is how I get nutrient ... and some supplements.. I take iron , vit D and Vit B 12, and occassionally I will do a protien suppliment if I feel sluggish.. but I try to eat a balamce of foods... grains, berrie, chicken, fish, beef, tomatoes(at least once a day), I do some veggies( just have to live with the gass and bloating as you need some for fiber and others for vitamins and mineral)

I am a coffee fiend.. I must have coffee everyday.. and for sugar I use stevia or splenda..to kick the sweetness needs. and chocolate..

I have had no luck with nutritionists.. I am a special case and none that I met are able to see ourside the box.

I think my friends are starting to catch on but its taken a year for them to understand I will let them know when I am in distress.. and that I don't need to be coddled..
    and the funny thing is my family won't see me.. all I am going thru scares them too much... though I perfer to think of that as their weakness and personality flaw as I good never just ignore a family member and what they are going thru..
  • karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Colostomy
    You are not alone,I have had a colostomy for 4 years,permanant.It becomes part of your routine ,and you get used to it.When I do chemo I get diarea,which is a pain at work,but you get used to it,and just empty your bag.Also when you pass gas,don't worry,you can't control it.But you can put a little mouth wash in the bag to help with the smell.I keep extra bags ,and supplys at work in my locker.Good luck.
  • dmj101
    Options
    Varmint5 said:

Folfiri
    My daughter is on Folfiri and in the beginning had terrible diarrhea but it has lessened now and isn't as bad. She started taking Culturelle some time back. We don't know if it really helps anything, but can't hurt. She was taking up to 12 Imodium a day.

Could it be that the diarrhea is inflaming your stoma and making it bleed? There is a good ostomy web site: www.c3life.com . You might get more information there. Everybody there has a stoma. Good luck with this.

Sandy

doc lead to believe this was not a good idea
    it may interfere with the effectivemess of the drug.
  • dmj101
    Options
    karguy said:

Colostomy
    You are not alone,I have had a colostomy for 4 years,permanant.It becomes part of your routine ,and you get used to it.When I do chemo I get diarea,which is a pain at work,but you get used to it,and just empty your bag.Also when you pass gas,don't worry,you can't control it.But you can put a little mouth wash in the bag to help with the smell.I keep extra bags ,and supplys at work in my locker.Good luck.

Prepare like a boyscout
    I use holister line of products they have an order product that works for odor,. I empty and change and have no issues in that way.. except when I am doing a presentation.. it seems to wake up as I get excited about what I am doing or talking about. it likes to be heard... like I am ignoring it.. lol...
    I carry all supplies for about 4 or 5 changes should I need them at all times.. you just never know.. and a change of clothes im my car if I am going to be further than 5 miles from home.. I work from home lately alot but am lucky office is just less that 2 miles from my home..