Pain in my heels--especially when I put weight on them--anyone?

Options
missrenee
missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
I have an appointment with my med. onc. for another treatment of Faslodex/Zometa, and I'll ask her, but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. It started rather gradually a couple of months ago, and at first I thought-okay arthritis pain. But now I'm wondering if this could be the start of neuropathy from the chemo I had 2 years ago (TAC). Since I really don't know what neuropathy feels like (or maybe I do now!) thought I'd ask all of you.

Thanks for any input.

Hugs, Renee

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I didnt have pain in my
    I didnt have pain in my heels per se, from the neuropathy. Do you think it could be plantar faceitis? have you been walking a lot?
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis?
    If the pain is worse when you first get up from sitting or laying down for an extended period of time (such as when you first get out of bed), it may be plantar fasciitis, which is inflammation of the tissue that connects your heel bone to your toes.

The Mayo Clinic has a good article on it:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/plantar-fasciitis/DS00508

as does WebMD:
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/plantar-fasciitis-directory

I struggled with plantar fasciitis several years ago -- well before my cancer diagnosis, so it had nothing at all to do with chemo. I had to make several lifestyle changes, but they pretty much took care of it -- here's what worked for me:

- No more running around the house without shoes -- if I'm doing housework or on my feet in the kitchen, I wear supportive shoes.

- No more cute Keds sneakers or sandals when I go walking -- now I only wear well-cushioned walking shoes, with good arch and heel support.

- No more taking bellydance classes barefoot -- I got a pair of jazz sneakers (okay, this one may not be a concern for you, Renee :-)

- I stretched my calves a few times a day (this helped tremendously), and did foot exercises and massage with tennis balls, towels, etc.: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/exercises-to-reduce-plantar-fasciitis#

I hope this is all your pain turns out to be, Renee, because I really was able to solve the problem without any serious medical intervention.

Traci
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I thought plantar fascitis
    I thought plantar fascitis too...Traci's advice is right on if that's the case. I'll add that I got some support inserts for my shoes and had to stop wearing pretty heels to work. Mine finally went away when I started chemo and was not on my feet so much.

For me, the neuropathy started in the toes and fingertips, not the heel. It started as a tingling (lots like when your foot falls asleep), but only in the tips. As the neuropathy advanced it started to include numbness, and then aching in the knuckles. My hands and feet also often feel hot, especially at bedtime.

I hope this helps, and that you are doing well.

Hugs,

Linda
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

I thought plantar fascitis
    I thought plantar fascitis too...Traci's advice is right on if that's the case. I'll add that I got some support inserts for my shoes and had to stop wearing pretty heels to work. Mine finally went away when I started chemo and was not on my feet so much.

For me, the neuropathy started in the toes and fingertips, not the heel. It started as a tingling (lots like when your foot falls asleep), but only in the tips. As the neuropathy advanced it started to include numbness, and then aching in the knuckles. My hands and feet also often feel hot, especially at bedtime.

I hope this helps, and that you are doing well.

Hugs,

Linda

Don't...
    Don't let it go....I had Plantar Facitis about 5 years..so as Traci said it had nothing to do with chemo...I let it go for about 6 months..finally went to a family friend who is a podiatrist...he asked questions like is it worse when I first got up in the morning...or after sitting for any length of time...yes to all questions..he gave me an injection of cortisone in the heel and told me to keep the foot stretched, like standing on a bottom step with just the toes on it and go up and down,slowly....I was fine in less than 2 weeks...my husband let his go,not heeding me telling him to stop complaining about the pain and go get it looked at....lol. and after weeks of treatment, it's better but not gone...and he had orthotics made ...he did have to buy a size bigger shoe to accommodate them...and the podiatrist told him to wear CROCS with the orthotics...and he does !

Personally, I wouldn't let it go....keep us posted
    Hugs, Nancy
  • missrenee
    Options
    MAJW said:

Don't...
    Don't let it go....I had Plantar Facitis about 5 years..so as Traci said it had nothing to do with chemo...I let it go for about 6 months..finally went to a family friend who is a podiatrist...he asked questions like is it worse when I first got up in the morning...or after sitting for any length of time...yes to all questions..he gave me an injection of cortisone in the heel and told me to keep the foot stretched, like standing on a bottom step with just the toes on it and go up and down,slowly....I was fine in less than 2 weeks...my husband let his go,not heeding me telling him to stop complaining about the pain and go get it looked at....lol. and after weeks of treatment, it's better but not gone...and he had orthotics made ...he did have to buy a size bigger shoe to accommodate them...and the podiatrist told him to wear CROCS with the orthotics...and he does !

Personally, I wouldn't let it go....keep us posted
    Hugs, Nancy

Wow--thanks guys
    When did you all get your M.D's?! You were all right on the money. My pain is much worse when I first get up in the a.m. or after I've been sitting for a while and get up. I hobble for the first 10 or 20 steps! I live in Arizona, so cute strappy sandals (with no support or cushion) are the rule here almost year round. I think the only time I really wear any type of footwear with cushion or support is when I wear my Nikes to the gym or for walking the dog.

Oh man, now it's comfort vs. style :( Thank you for all your tips--I will definitely do the exercises and stretching and see how it goes.

Do I really have to get rid of about 50 pairs of really cute sandals?!!

Hugs, Renee
  • MAJW
    Options
    missrenee said:

Wow--thanks guys
    When did you all get your M.D's?! You were all right on the money. My pain is much worse when I first get up in the a.m. or after I've been sitting for a while and get up. I hobble for the first 10 or 20 steps! I live in Arizona, so cute strappy sandals (with no support or cushion) are the rule here almost year round. I think the only time I really wear any type of footwear with cushion or support is when I wear my Nikes to the gym or for walking the dog.

Oh man, now it's comfort vs. style :( Thank you for all your tips--I will definitely do the exercises and stretching and see how it goes.

Do I really have to get rid of about 50 pairs of really cute sandals?!!

Hugs, Renee

lol...
    Nah, Renee...hang onto those 50 pairs....lol once it goes away, it's back to this cute shoes! I'm a flip flop queen......it's flip flop weather here in NC so out they came...I'll tell you a cute story...my daughter (39) is the "fashion police"...she got tired of seeing me wearing my $2.00 Old Navy flip flops ...she bought me two pairs of Tori Burch flip flops!!! I had to laugh because she knew I would never pay what they cost.... But I do wear them all the time!

So hang onto those cute shoes! Oh I got my MD at the school of hard knocks! Lol
    Hugs, Nancy
    ps...I've had many compliments on my bracelet.... :)
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

lol...
    Nah, Renee...hang onto those 50 pairs....lol once it goes away, it's back to this cute shoes! I'm a flip flop queen......it's flip flop weather here in NC so out they came...I'll tell you a cute story...my daughter (39) is the "fashion police"...she got tired of seeing me wearing my $2.00 Old Navy flip flops ...she bought me two pairs of Tori Burch flip flops!!! I had to laugh because she knew I would never pay what they cost.... But I do wear them all the time!

So hang onto those cute shoes! Oh I got my MD at the school of hard knocks! Lol
    Hugs, Nancy
    ps...I've had many compliments on my bracelet.... :)

Flip Flop .. Here as well, Nancy .. I even wear
    my flip flops in winter .. or Uggs if it is raining! I wore 5" heels with suits,
    when I worked -- years, and I mean years -- so I enjoy the flat and go style now.

Miss Renee -- Heel spur's ???? just a thought!

"Flip Flops are candy for our feet" ...

Vicki Sam
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Flip Flop .. Here as well, Nancy .. I even wear
    my flip flops in winter .. or Uggs if it is raining! I wore 5" heels with suits,
    when I worked -- years, and I mean years -- so I enjoy the flat and go style now.

Miss Renee -- Heel spur's ???? just a thought!

"Flip Flops are candy for our feet" ...

Vicki Sam

sore heels
    Sounds like plantar fascitis to me, too. The above posters all had good suggestions.
    Another thing that helps me is to stretch my feet--flexing & pointing--in bed before I get up. There are some reasonably cute sandals out there--I go to a Foot Solutions store in my area.
    BTW, heel spurs go along with plantar fascitis sometimes. Good luck!
  • RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yep
    Left heel only before chemo, during and after. All the other ladies are spot on. I guessed mine to be a heel spur and had it a few years. Now as I go to the gym and stretch, gone. Told to roll my foot backwards and forwards on a golf ball. Didn't seek advice just flex and circle often. Was worried with Pilates and Yoga being bare foot, no problem. Flip flops I love to wear, everyone says they are bad for you but I always buy the ones with no less than an inch of sole. The flat ones are too hard on the feet. To be honest all the sneaker wearing in this country worries me. I find all sports footwear draw my feet, make them hot and so chunky sometimes they cause me to trip. You cant move your feet in them in a natural way. I'm going to get told off about this comment I think......... Plus I have bunions on the outside of both feet so am amazed I dont have more problems. Happy flip flop wearing when you feel better.
  • jonahrex98
    jonahrex98 Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    PLANTAR FASCITIS AND NEUROPATHY
    I had plantar fascitis a few years ago after chemo and concluded that it was caused by age, weight, improper footwear, and maybe some of the other things that the internet says causes it. While researching neuropathy symptoms recently, I found that one symptom, an abnormal gait, may cause plantar fascitis. Just a tidbit...
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Statins too
    Plantar fasciitis sounds about right, but wanted to share my experience with foot, not heel pain. My feet were feeling very sore and tender and then my knees were aching. I went back to my onc and told him maybe I needed cymbalta if the faslodex/xgeva treatment was going to make me have such leg pain.

He said he believed it had nothing to do with my cancer treatment but was my statin (statins are notorious for leg pain especially in women). He laughed and said, "I get blamed for everything." We stopped my Zocor and, voila, no more foot/knee pain.

I am now on a different statin (Crestor) and a much lower dose. As I had a heart attack in 2008, a statin is a very imporatnt part of my therapy. Unfortunately, the foot pain is starting back. I will continue to work with my cardiologist on this and maybe try another statin and/or alternate day dosing. Statins can reduce mortality after heart attack dramatically, so I really want to stay on one if possible.

Anyway, when I hear about foot pain now, I just want to share my statin experience. I am not advocating giving up on your statin therapy as, just because one statin does this, another may not cause pain at all.
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options
    Are You Taking Any Daily Anti Cancer Drugs?
    Dear Renee,

I started on Arimidex in March 2010. The 4th week of July 2010, I developed heel pain in right foot. Went to podiatrist in August 2010. Had a MRI. Started physical therapy in September for the foot. Physical therapy worked. Went off Armidex Nov. 2010. Took nothing for 2 months. Started Anastrozole in January 2011. In February 2011, pain in heel of right foot developed again.

I then knew that these two drugs had created my heel pain. For the past 10/15 years I had a weakness in the feet (very minor problem once every few years), and these drugs attacked all my weakness within my body...such as tingling/numbness in hands, rampant body rash, muscle soreness (stabbing) in calf.

The fact that i had the heel pain meant that I needed treatment to get rid of it.

Are you on any daily drug for cancer?

Lots of Love,
    Janelle
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Hey Renee, I am having the
    Hey Renee, I am having the exact same problem. It started last spring and I keep waiting for it to go away. Thanks for this thread and for all of the knowledgeable answers regarding plantar fascitis (however you spell it). xoxoxo Lynn
  • missrenee
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Hey Renee, I am having the
    Hey Renee, I am having the exact same problem. It started last spring and I keep waiting for it to go away. Thanks for this thread and for all of the knowledgeable answers regarding plantar fascitis (however you spell it). xoxoxo Lynn

Yes, I think mine is plantar fasciitis
    and I have my yearly coming up with my PCP in 2 weeks so I will certainly bring it up to her. Funny--it did seem to start very slowly after I started my Arimidex. I am off that now, but on Faslodex injections and the pain continues. Don't know if it's from these meds or not. I have been doing the stretching exercises that Traci pointed out and it does seem to help.

Hugs, Renee
  • MAJW
    Options
    missrenee said:

and I have my yearly coming up with my PCP in 2 weeks so I will certainly bring it up to her. Funny--it did seem to start very slowly after I started my Arimidex. I am off that now, but on Faslodex injections and the pain continues. Don't know if it's from these meds or not. I have been doing the stretching exercises that Traci pointed out and it does seem to help.

Hugs, Renee

You may want to see a podiatrist if your PCP isn't able to help....I've had it and so has the hubby...it can be miserable...we both saw a podiatrist...I was "fixed" in one visit...hubby took a lot longer because, typical man, he wouldn't go when it started...but he's doing much better now...after treatment, he had orthotics made and it's really helped...

Keep us posted...
    Hugs, Nancy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    missrenee said:

Hugs, Renee

Glad your doing better with this, Renee
    Renee, I'm glad to hear the exercises I suggested have helped.

Yes, I guess you *should* talk with someone who actually has an MD...:-)....Keep us posted on what she says...but I'm still betting on my "diagnosis." Can you send us your insurance information? I think we should bill your insurance for our "consultation"!

LOL,

Traci
  • missrenee
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Glad your doing better with this, Renee
    Renee, I'm glad to hear the exercises I suggested have helped.

Yes, I guess you *should* talk with someone who actually has an MD...:-)....Keep us posted on what she says...but I'm still betting on my "diagnosis." Can you send us your insurance information? I think we should bill your insurance for our "consultation"!

LOL,

Traci

Yes, I think Dr. Traci hit the nail on the head
    and I'll be sure to send out that insurance info!

Hugs, Renee
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    missrenee said:

Yes, I think Dr. Traci hit the nail on the head
    and I'll be sure to send out that insurance info!

Hugs, Renee

Show Traci Da Money! LOL

Show Traci Da Money! LOL
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I had that quite some time
    I had that quite some time ago..asked DR if could be from Tamoxifen..she siad no....I have not really thought about it until I just read your post...it just went away after long time...I am still on tamoxfen but since had hysterectomy. I am sure that had nothing to do with it...but pain did stop..

Denise