Fought it to the end

Options
ClayC
ClayC Member Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My Dad was a great man whom in his last days would have drug himself to another treatment on his elbows. The time came all too quickly when the Doc explained we were at the time he had told us about. He passed on May 9th, 2012 after 7 days in the hospital. He had been off of chemo for 3 weeks but his strength was not recovering. My Dad was 65 and diagnosed at 60. It started w colorectal and ended with liver. I am not sharing this to be doom and gloom but to try and emphasize the importance of early detection. He was his chemo groups cheer leader and often convinced others to keep going. I, myself am 41 and had a scope last year which resulted in 2 polyops being removed. Both were as they said non cancer forming, from which i responded, sure for now. They said to come back in 5 years, I'll see them in 3. All please keep fighting, we are dealing with his passing a little at a time. We weren't finished with him yet! Sounds selfish and it may be but my 10 yr old put it best. "I wish cancer would catch cancer and die"!!!

Comments

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Dear Clay
    So very sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. Was he a member here or have you just found us?

I don't think any here will disagree with your words about getting checked early. I would add that it is important to know your own body and act when needed.

Your dad sounds like a fine man who will be missed by many.

Hoping that you and the others who loved him can find peace in your hearts and remember the best of him with a smile.

Marie who loves kitties
  • Phil64
    Phil64 Member Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    sorry for your loss
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss and I wish you and your family peace and love. I also agree with your point about early detection. Another lesson I'm learning is to be responsible for your own health - if you feel you need a test, get it done... Don't expect that doctors will always make the best decisions.

Love and Peace to you and your family,

Phil
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Phil64 said:

sorry for your loss
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss and I wish you and your family peace and love. I also agree with your point about early detection. Another lesson I'm learning is to be responsible for your own health - if you feel you need a test, get it done... Don't expect that doctors will always make the best decisions.

Love and Peace to you and your family,

Phil

So sorry for your loss.
    So sorry for your loss. Glad to hear you are being pro-active in getting checked early. Best wishes to your family.
  • karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Sorry
    Sorry to hear about your dad,I'm sure h4e was a fighter,and will be missed.I will pray for him.
  • ClayC
    ClayC Member Posts: 5
    Options

Dear Clay
    So very sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. Was he a member here or have you just found us?

I don't think any here will disagree with your words about getting checked early. I would add that it is important to know your own body and act when needed.

Your dad sounds like a fine man who will be missed by many.

Hoping that you and the others who loved him can find peace in your hearts and remember the best of him with a smile.

Marie who loves kitties

Colorectal
    Thank you for your kind responses. It always helps to share experiences. My Mom will be joining soon as I think it may help her as well.
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss
    I'm sorry for your loss. I am very glad that you took family history seriously and got scoped early and that you won't be letting up. I have a feeling your father might have felt as I do - if my getting this cancer keeps my siblings, children or husband from getting it because they go get scoped in time, then I find it easier to accept my dx.

My younger brother had his first scope at 45 and had a couple polyps removed. My younger sister was clear. My husband finally went in at age 51, because of my dx and had 5 polyps removed. Two of those were large and across from each other and would have eventually obstructed him, even if they didn't turn to cancer. My children will be scoped starting at age 35, and my husband's son will start at age 40. My battle with cancer may have saved my husband and/or my brother, and many friends that finally got overdue colonoscopies (some with polyps removed) after my diagnosis. It makes me feel good that something positive has come out of something awful.

Please continue to spread the word about screening and early detection, and warning signs - a great way to honor the memory of your father.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    sorry about your dad
    glad your getting checked, given the family history you might look into anti bowel cancer lifestyle choices, but you can look into that if and when it suits, for now remember your dad.

i like your 10 years old insight, my daughter is the same age. i think our kids are getting smarter. i hope so.

hugs,
    pete
  • danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    ClayC
    Sorry for the loss of your dad. In reading the various posts, I cannot believe how fortunate I have been. Dxed at age 77 nearly 3 years ago and currently NED. Cancer certainly hits us each uniquely
  • Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Clay,
    Thanks for sharing Clay, your 10 year old is one smart cookie. I'd like to throw in do it next year. I'm all about annual checkups now. Once a year if your insurance will cover it. Doctors decide how often we should visit based on insurance coverage and money, not actuallity.