Hormone replacement

Options
disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
Who and or why do you have to take replacement?

I am on tamoxifen (told not hormone) I am clueless..but told I do not need replacement.

I had totally hysterctomy exactly year ago...back on tamoxifen.

Just curious..

Denise

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    HRT (Hormone Replacement
    HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) is not used with a BC TX's. If you are on Tamoxifen that is to block estrogen from being absorbed/used and used by ER+ cancer cells. Even after natural menopause or hysterectomy, the body still produces estrogen and it is gotten in quite a few veggies. In other words - at least some estrongen is in all bodies (men too) so in ER+ cancers it's uptact needs to be blocked.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

HRT (Hormone Replacement
    HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) is not used with a BC TX's. If you are on Tamoxifen that is to block estrogen from being absorbed/used and used by ER+ cancer cells. Even after natural menopause or hysterectomy, the body still produces estrogen and it is gotten in quite a few veggies. In other words - at least some estrongen is in all bodies (men too) so in ER+ cancers it's uptact needs to be blocked.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

bumping up ....
  • gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    Options
    VickiSam said:

bumping up ....

sorry if I missed something....
    What is this "bumping up"? Don't mean to be blunt. Diana
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    gagee said:

sorry if I missed something....
    What is this "bumping up"? Don't mean to be blunt. Diana

Bumping Up
    'Bumping Up' is a post to bring a thread back up so it isn't 'lost' - so it gets 'seen'. If no one posts to a thread it just keeps going lower down the line and not readily seen.

Threads are listed by what most recently been posted on.
  • sdukowitz
    sdukowitz Member Posts: 250
    Options
    Denise the tamoxifin acts
    Denise the tamoxifin acts as a "parking place" for estrogen still in our bodies from glands and body in general ... I had a hysterecomy about 6 years ago and had instant "surgical menopause ... so they put me on the estrogen patch..... Now I was diagnosed with estrogen positive Dcis cancer six years later .... made me mad as now I have all that estrogen from that patch in my body and need the tamoxifin to block it They deny that the patch caused the cancer but I dont know why they even prescribe any HRT for hot flashes any more.... just venting as so far I am doing well just worry about recurrence ...... sounds like our Dcis cases are similar am doing better on the tamixifin now than the first few months hot flashes at night but no more leg cramps ... do you have any side effects with tamoxifin? Sue D
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    sdukowitz said:

Denise the tamoxifin acts
    Denise the tamoxifin acts as a "parking place" for estrogen still in our bodies from glands and body in general ... I had a hysterecomy about 6 years ago and had instant "surgical menopause ... so they put me on the estrogen patch..... Now I was diagnosed with estrogen positive Dcis cancer six years later .... made me mad as now I have all that estrogen from that patch in my body and need the tamoxifin to block it They deny that the patch caused the cancer but I dont know why they even prescribe any HRT for hot flashes any more.... just venting as so far I am doing well just worry about recurrence ...... sounds like our Dcis cases are similar am doing better on the tamixifin now than the first few months hot flashes at night but no more leg cramps ... do you have any side effects with tamoxifin? Sue D

Dear Sue,

The reason for the hormone replacement therapy patch after your hysterectomy is that our bodies do need hormones for bones, hair, vagina and the urethra and etc. Without it, your bones become fragile, sex becomes difficult and urinating becomes a problem, quality of life is greatly reduced.

I used a prescription drug call "Estring" until my recurrence in the lungs & lining. At that time I was NED though I had 2 recurrence the last one was 2 ribs. The "Estring" provided a very small amount of estrogen to the vagina and therefore, sex was possible and so was urinating. There is a very small amount of estrogen, the blood might pick up, though the manufacturer stated it wasn't. My gynecologist who highly recommended the product along with my oncologist stated that it was so small an amount that it was worth the risk. In this case it was quality of life over quantity of years. "Estring" is a small ring one inserts in the vagina every 3 months.

When I recurred, my oncologist wanted me not to use it since my disease was so active.

I hope this helps to understand why they might have given you HRT patch.

Best,

Doris
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Producing hormones
    Denise,

When the ovaries stop producing hormones, the adrenal gland takes over. Even 99 year old ladies continue to have some level of hormonal activity in their bodies. I know aromatase inhibitors stop the production at the adrenal gland but I believe Tamoxifen works a little different. It does stop the hormones though.

Best,

Doris
  • sdukowitz
    sdukowitz Member Posts: 250
    Options
    SIROD said:

Dear Sue,

The reason for the hormone replacement therapy patch after your hysterectomy is that our bodies do need hormones for bones, hair, vagina and the urethra and etc. Without it, your bones become fragile, sex becomes difficult and urinating becomes a problem, quality of life is greatly reduced.

I used a prescription drug call "Estring" until my recurrence in the lungs & lining. At that time I was NED though I had 2 recurrence the last one was 2 ribs. The "Estring" provided a very small amount of estrogen to the vagina and therefore, sex was possible and so was urinating. There is a very small amount of estrogen, the blood might pick up, though the manufacturer stated it wasn't. My gynecologist who highly recommended the product along with my oncologist stated that it was so small an amount that it was worth the risk. In this case it was quality of life over quantity of years. "Estring" is a small ring one inserts in the vagina every 3 months.

When I recurred, my oncologist wanted me not to use it since my disease was so active.

Best,

Doris

Thanks for the info Doris
    Thanks for the info Doris ... the drs aalways dont tell you all the info .... great to share info from this site! SUE D
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    SIROD said:

Producing hormones
    Denise,

When the ovaries stop producing hormones, the adrenal gland takes over. Even 99 year old ladies continue to have some level of hormonal activity in their bodies. I know aromatase inhibitors stop the production at the adrenal gland but I believe Tamoxifen works a little different. It does stop the hormones though.

Best,

Doris

Thanks for all the
    Thanks for all the replies..I JUST KNOW IN the past I thought most everyone with total hysterctomy takes hormones...I ONLY take tamoxfin which is the cause of my hystertomy!

Denise
  • madsters1
    madsters1 Member Posts: 120
    Options
    SIROD said:

Dear Sue,

Best,

Doris

Hi there, Thank you for all
    Hi there, Thank you for all of the info. I had Estrogen Receptor positve (ER+) breast cancer.The treatment recommendation is hormone therapy to block the estrogen. If not having estrogen in our bodies affects SO much as you said, is the expectation of the medical community to have us tolerate life like this or is there something to counter the side effects?