What food do you eat with no taste

Options
Sam999
Sam999 Member Posts: 319 Member
I was wondering what foods do you eat with no taste ? I have tried following and able to eat it

Chobani yougurt : mango or peach, do not like any other, 13 gms of protein
Mango smoothie from costco with protein powder
Water melon (like the cooling juicyness, cannot taste the sweet)
Banana: oddly i can taste some sweetness! Maybe it in my mind, but i am able to eat one banana
Fresh young coconut water

Going to try the magic mineral broth soon.
Will also try oatmeal but need some mental courage. I love oatmeal with salt and just cannot think about eating it with no salt taste.

Sam

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    I am on the same boat
    Sam,

Good Luck, we are all over the place when it comes to eating (tasting). Don’t get me wrong, it is getting better, I had a pancake last night and I ate the whole thing. A couple of weeks earlier I would have spit it out. I also like oatmeal and tried it too soon, but will be ready to try it again soon.

I live by smoothies (right now) and can not wait to discover the illusive, good food. As an experiment, I just ran into the kitchen and put sugar and salt on my tongue. I could taste a hint of the sugar and the salt was pretty good. I may have to try some potato chips with a big glass of water.

Good luck to you and let me know what you find out.

Best wishes,

Matt (9 ½ weeks out)
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

I am on the same boat
    Sam,

Good Luck, we are all over the place when it comes to eating (tasting). Don’t get me wrong, it is getting better, I had a pancake last night and I ate the whole thing. A couple of weeks earlier I would have spit it out. I also like oatmeal and tried it too soon, but will be ready to try it again soon.

I live by smoothies (right now) and can not wait to discover the illusive, good food. As an experiment, I just ran into the kitchen and put sugar and salt on my tongue. I could taste a hint of the sugar and the salt was pretty good. I may have to try some potato chips with a big glass of water.

Best wishes,

Matt (9 ½ weeks out)

I just now tried watermelon :)
    I ate it, but could taste nothing...it is juicy and wet.

Strangely enough, my sister made my husband some shirmp salad (the kind with macaroni, and a white dressing...probably a combo of milk, mayo, with a little sugar added). It has green onions, celery, and shirmp. I can taste that, and the onions don't sting...don't get it, but since it works I eat it.

I tried some cheesey rice last night that my sister made, too...had to add a little milk to make it creamier...I could taste that till it was half gone.

Milk still retains taste (weird, huh?)

The Mineral broth...good from first bite till last...

If I can't taste it, I'm not much good at eating it....at those times, I just open an Ensure of Instant Breakfast VHC, and pile in the calories that way...and be glad I can't taste it :).

p
  • osmotar
    osmotar Member Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Foods
    Sam,

I lost my taste about week 3 into my rads..somethings stayed , radishes, broccoli, and yes like you banannas, most sweet things tasted nasty ...no red meats...but fish chicken..even foods I couldn't taste I could still smell mayb ethat helped in eating..also the fact my rad doc said I wasn't at the jenny craig weight loss center,and they only wanted me to lose 2-3 lbs a week, staying closer to the 2 mark, however the main main motivator was not to have a peg tube...so I ate, yes I know that a peg has been a godsend for a lot of folks here and in no way posting anything negative about having to use one. I also added supplements..one night my sister , neice and I went out for chinese, which I love, but was almost in tears thinking what can I eat here..well I ordered egg drop soup, I thought I died and went to heaven it was wonderful, we even made it several times at home and enjoyed it. Now almost 5 months after finishing treatments, taste is coming back slowly, red meats still kind a wonky but thats ok, cause what I really missed was fresh fruits.
    good luck in your search for things to eat, I'd say try it all see what tastes ok.

Linda
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    more of the same
    Sam,

We are not much help, unless we can get someone’s sister to cook for us, it sounds like smoothies all around. Don’t let this (no taste buds) bring you down. Mine are truly improving, just not as fast as I want. You need to hear from someone with more time under the dinner belt. Still I do not waste much time eating these days.

Stay happy,

Matt
  • hislove40
    hislove40 Member Posts: 51
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

more of the same
    Sam,

We are not much help, unless we can get someone’s sister to cook for us, it sounds like smoothies all around. Don’t let this (no taste buds) bring you down. Mine are truly improving, just not as fast as I want. You need to hear from someone with more time under the dinner belt. Still I do not waste much time eating these days.

Stay happy,

Matt

Try BBQ and potatoes
    I'm not sure where you are in this. I'm done with rads for about 3 weeks now and never had chemo. I've been religiously taking zinc - STILL battling thrush a little and started eating walnuts because I heard of the medicinal qualities - nothing backed up here - just trying something. Anyway, over the weekend I made some BBQ chicken with Jack Daniels original BBQ sauce and it tasted good - added walnuts to it and then made some baked potatoe as well that I could taste not entirely but definitely an improvement. It's weird, I can eat salad and it's the dressing that doesn't taste right so I'm pretty well eating naked salads. Good luck! :)
  • Marty36
    Marty36 Member Posts: 84
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

I am on the same boat
    Sam,

Best wishes,

Matt (9 ½ weeks out)

Pasta with olive oil. No
    Pasta with olive oil. No sauce, just the olive oil. Sometimes cheese mixed in.

Hummus.

Fruit smoothies, butterscotch pudding. Oddly, corn on the cob (with spiced mayonnaise).
  • phrannie51
    Options
    Marty36 said:

Pasta with olive oil. No
    Pasta with olive oil. No sauce, just the olive oil. Sometimes cheese mixed in.

Hummus.

Fruit smoothies, butterscotch pudding. Oddly, corn on the cob (with spiced mayonnaise).

Marty.....corn on the cob just sounds so good to me...
    so I'm going to try some of that. What is spiced Mayo? What is it spiced with? Do you make your own, or do you buy it that way?

p
  • phrannie51
    Options
    I just tried some watermelon....
    now that was truly tastless....and I thought it would be so good :).

p
  • Marty36
    Marty36 Member Posts: 84
    Options

Marty.....corn on the cob just sounds so good to me...
    so I'm going to try some of that. What is spiced Mayo? What is it spiced with? Do you make your own, or do you buy it that way?

p

I have mayo, then put
    I have mayo, then put Mexican spices in it (Goya Adobo spice, coriander, even cayanne). Grilled corn on the cob with mayo is a typical Mexican street food. Just the mayo and corn on the cob was good. My theory (I was able to eat it off the cob) was that the first taste was with the front of my tongue, which still had the most active taste buds.
  • IAmStrong
    IAmStrong Member Posts: 58
    Options

I just tried some watermelon....
    now that was truly tastless....and I thought it would be so good :).

p

For me it was Very difficult to eat with no taste...Zinc!
    I do believe it is a big help for recovering taste buds. Sweet, is my worst...it is Foul FOUL! Imagine that! Fresh veggies are my best and most favorite! There is moisture, and they taste "normal". With my kidney issue I needed higher amounts of protein...that has been TOUGH. So, ice cream saved my life I do believe, loaded with malt for calories. I couldn't bear protein powder...was too sick when I took it. (Acute renal failure also causes nausea and vomiting). Still can't bear certain odors or things, such as protein powder.

I can eat organic banannas! That is exciting! I enjoy bush berries, as hubs figured out. Blackberries, blueberries, raspberries. Strawberries had been foul too, along with all other fruit.

Meat...that is a toughie. Bread too. I need extra stuff to help it go down. IE extra mayo etc.

Do Anything you can to keep calories going. KNOW this will not stay the same, though it may seem like it. It Will change! So stay positive and here is to you good healing!
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    no bananas
    Bananas gave me a burning sensation however I lived on chicken noodle soup, mashed potatos and grits with tons of butter. Buffets gave me the best options.
  • Sam999
    Sam999 Member Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Greend said:

no bananas
    Bananas gave me a burning sensation however I lived on chicken noodle soup, mashed potatos and grits with tons of butter. Buffets gave me the best options.

I still like bananas, water
    I still like bananas, water melon, ,cucumber and green beans and also fresh coconut water.
    I also like mango smoothie from costco, there is some taste or flavor that i get it in it. I mix whey protien in it and drink it.

My sister and i went to whole foods and have purchased everything for magic broth. Will post if i like it or not.