PET SCAN TOMORROW

tuffenuff
tuffenuff Member Posts: 277
Im pretty nervous. I already know I will be stage 4 from the CT results but I pray it's only in the nodes I already know about. Actually, pretty nervous is an understatement...

Comments

• Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    We've all been there...
    The funny thing is that you have to just... sit there. While the glucose works its way through your body, you can't read or talk or anything.

Have you ever tried meditating? If not, when you're sitting there, try closing your eyes and breathing in slowly to the count of five, then exhaling slowly to the count of five. Keep doing that and if your mind tries to insert worried thoughts, acknowledge them ("Yes, this is an important scan.") and then try to move back to focusing on your breathing.

Just keep in mind that it's an important part of the process and, whatever it shows, it just lets the doctors better plan your treatment. You'll get through it--and we'll all be thinking of you!
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Be Empowered Instead....
    Glass half full.....

You know that you already have cancer in the areas you have been Dx.

The PET will spot any other areas not known (if any)...that's a good thing. If by chance you do have another area light up, they can take action and include that for your treatment.

Without the PET, it could go undetected...

Sooo, look at it as being empowered, it can try to hide, but PET is gonna find it.

Best,
    John
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Tuff
    Being nervous is normal just hang in there and pray, sometimes that is all we can do. I find that with me it is because of prayer that I am still here to tell my story.

God bless and be with you today in your scan my friend
    Tim Hondo
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Skiffin16 said:

Be Empowered Instead....
    Glass half full.....

You know that you already have cancer in the areas you have been Dx.

The PET will spot any other areas not known (if any)...that's a good thing. If by chance you do have another area light up, they can take action and include that for your treatment.

Without the PET, it could go undetected...

Sooo, look at it as being empowered, it can try to hide, but PET is gonna find it.

Best,
    John

with John on this one ...
    ..sick'em PET!!!! PET is your friend ...this is your way of throwing an accurate punch at the cancer .....your way of saying "I"m coming after you and I'm going to kick your booty!! :)

Praying for you tuff and I know all the things we say are easier said then done ....but we are here for you and I do believe those prayers make a difference!!! :)

Tim
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    I agree with all that has been said....
    Try meditating...put the test in God's hands (too big for you to handle)...see it as the map to your treatment (empowered)....I went to my PET scan with one lymph node, came out with two lit up. That gave the radiologist the map to how this was going to go.

I was scared we'd find lit up lymph nods down to my toes, illogical thinking, of course....but hey, I'm new in this field, the Drs. are not.

And keep in mind, that 99.9% of everything we've ever been afraid to face didn't turn out as bad as we pictured it in our magic magnifying minds.

p
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    PET Scan blues
    Hi tuffenuff.

I have Stage III SCC HPV+, Lower Tongue Cancer and my PET scan highlighted an area (lower GI tract) which after a colonoscopy turned out to be nothing at all. NOTHING!!! So don’t borrow trouble, the PET scan does not know all.

Say a prayer, try to relax and prepare for good results.

Best wishes,

Matt
  • tuffenuff
    well i made it through the
    well i made it through the PET, which was not a big deal. i'm not claustrophobic or anything so it was a cinch. my follow up with the rad/onc is tomorrow so at least i don't have to wait long.

although, i have to say, the nuclear tech who ran the test did carry on a 2 minute or so conversation with me prior to the test. and the pet unit is in a trailer so when it was time, i had to walk across a parking lot to go pee before the test. thought that was strange after what i had read about preparation.

anyway, fingers crossed and yes, it is better to know that be surprised just when you think everything is ok. :o)
  • osmotar
    osmotar Member Posts: 1,006
    PETScan
    I go for my second PET after treatments complete next Wed...I don't think anywhere thru the course to DX..treatment..completion of treatment that nerves won't not be involved.

linda
  • patricke
    patricke Member Posts: 570
    Hey tuffenuff, I understand
    Hey tuffenuff, I understand the anxiety, but I also suggest that you avoid dwelling (easier said than done) on what the scan may or may not reveal, as no good can come of it. Rather than fret about what the scan may or may not reveal, divert your attention as much as possible with mind engaging activities. You know that whatever the results are that you will do whatever needs to be done, so don't torture yourself with the what iffs. I wish the best possible negative report for you.

PATRICK
  • Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    tuffenuff said:

well i made it through the
    well i made it through the PET, which was not a big deal. i'm not claustrophobic or anything so it was a cinch. my follow up with the rad/onc is tomorrow so at least i don't have to wait long.

although, i have to say, the nuclear tech who ran the test did carry on a 2 minute or so conversation with me prior to the test. and the pet unit is in a trailer so when it was time, i had to walk across a parking lot to go pee before the test. thought that was strange after what i had read about preparation.

anyway, fingers crossed and yes, it is better to know that be surprised just when you think everything is ok. :o)

Hey, do you live in the SF Peninsula?
    My PET scan was in a trailer too, and I had the same experience of having to walk across the parking lot to go pee. :-)
  • Skiffin16
    CivilMatt said:

PET Scan blues
    Hi tuffenuff.

I have Stage III SCC HPV+, Lower Tongue Cancer and my PET scan highlighted an area (lower GI tract) which after a colonoscopy turned out to be nothing at all. NOTHING!!! So don’t borrow trouble, the PET scan does not know all.

Say a prayer, try to relax and prepare for good results.

Best wishes,

Matt

Did What It Was Supposed To...
    Actually Matt, the PET did what it was supposed to in your case.

The PET doesn't detect cancer, it detects high activity such as cancer behaves. But also inflamation or something else can light it up. It's just a tool to identify those areas.

From that information the MD's make the determination of what action to take next to verify just what it's telling them.

For cancer detection, that could mean a biopsy or FNA. Something in the lower tract as you mention could mean a colonoscopy.

I actually had similar on my first go at the PET. They already took the tonsils out. I knew I had the tumor (lymphnode) in my neck and that would light up...

But I also was having really bad lower stomach pains that had just startedd since getting the news of throat cancer and the tonsils confirming STGIII SCC.

I was laying on the table in the middle of the PET thnking, "well at least if I have something else, it's gonna show up".

Which it did, and like you they recommended a colonoscopy...which kinda sucked having another, because I just had one a few months prior and was good for 10 years.

Anyways with nerves I guess and whatever, it turned out to be diverticulitus, which added another two weeks before I could start treatment. They gave me the magic cocktail for that and once in check, I started treatment.

So, just another perspective on the PET capabilities, and what it does well as a tool.

Best,
    JG
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Skiffin16 said:

Did What It Was Supposed To...
    Actually Matt, the PET did what it was supposed to in your case.

The PET doesn't detect cancer, it detects high activity such as cancer behaves. But also inflamation or something else can light it up. It's just a tool to identify those areas.

From that information the MD's make the determination of what action to take next to verify just what it's telling them.

For cancer detection, that could mean a biopsy or FNA. Something in the lower tract as you mention could mean a colonoscopy.

I actually had similar on my first go at the PET. They already took the tonsils out. I knew I had the tumor (lymphnode) in my neck and that would light up...

But I also was having really bad lower stomach pains that had just startedd since getting the news of throat cancer and the tonsils confirming STGIII SCC.

I was laying on the table in the middle of the PET thnking, "well at least if I have something else, it's gonna show up".

Which it did, and like you they recommended a colonoscopy...which kinda sucked having another, because I just had one a few months prior and was good for 10 years.

Anyways with nerves I guess and whatever, it turned out to be diverticulitus, which added another two weeks before I could start treatment. They gave me the magic cocktail for that and once in check, I started treatment.

So, just another perspective on the PET capabilities, and what it does well as a tool.

Best,
    JG

Big Relief
    John, I just meant it wasn’t cancer. Turned out (they think) it was from a diving accident I had when I was 16.

So kudos for the PET scan, I was just glad it wasn’t more cancer.

Matt
  • tuffenuff
    patricke said:

Hey tuffenuff, I understand
    Hey tuffenuff, I understand the anxiety, but I also suggest that you avoid dwelling (easier said than done) on what the scan may or may not reveal, as no good can come of it. Rather than fret about what the scan may or may not reveal, divert your attention as much as possible with mind engaging activities. You know that whatever the results are that you will do whatever needs to be done, so don't torture yourself with the what iffs. I wish the best possible negative report for you.

PATRICK

i think one of the good
    i think one of the good things to come from being raised as an only child is i am realllly good at occupying myself.

after my initial freakout, i'm pretty good.
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    tuffenuff said:

i think one of the good
    i think one of the good things to come from being raised as an only child is i am realllly good at occupying myself.

after my initial freakout, i'm pretty good.

PS/CT
    Hope no distant spots show, Tuffenuff. These are a vital tool in detection, so it's not only what you want done- you wanna know the results, too- so your Drs can best deal with this C thing. Anxiety hits us all to varying degrees, so no way around that- just realize you are like all of us. No matter what, know you are gonna survive this thing- that's fact.

Believe

kcass
  • tuffenuff
    Laralyn said:

Hey, do you live in the SF Peninsula?
    My PET scan was in a trailer too, and I had the same experience of having to walk across the parking lot to go pee. :-)

no, i'm in florida. the
    no, i'm in florida. the hospital has 2 locations so i guess they use one machine for both. it felt kinda ghetto lol.
  • tuffenuff
    osmotar said:

PETScan
    I go for my second PET after treatments complete next Wed...I don't think anywhere thru the course to DX..treatment..completion of treatment that nerves won't not be involved.

linda

yeah, my cervical cancer was
    yeah, my cervical cancer was about 8 years ago and i still worry about it. the week before my checkup i have issues sleeping.
  • Skiffin16
    CivilMatt said:

Big Relief
    John, I just meant it wasn’t cancer. Turned out (they think) it was from a diving accident I had when I was 16.

So kudos for the PET scan, I was just glad it wasn’t more cancer.

Matt

Hear Ya Brother...
    I can definitely relate...

JG