Final chemo is done!

Options
Laralyn
Laralyn Member Posts: 532
I went in for my final chemo today. To be honest, I was filled with dread because I still haven't been able to keep anything in my stomach reliably. I'm pretty sure it's the mucous making me throw up, and it's been happening anywhere from 3-5 times a day.

The nurse at radiation this morning said she would be OK with skipping the last chemo, especially based on my blood work. The NP who handles my chemo said, "If you were 80 years old, I'd say sure, skip it. But you already missed last week, and our goal is to CURE you. Tell me what we can do to help you so you can take this last round." So I did it.

I'm glad I did. The IV anti-nausea drugs are much better then the oral kind (which I have been throwing up anyway). She also switched out one nausea drug for another (Compazine for Reglan), and prescribed an anti-nausea patch that makes it impossible for me to throw up at least one of my nausea meds.

She asked me to come in every day this week for hydration, so I'm doing that too. I've been taking Mucinex, first the generic 4 hour pill and then the cough suppressant, and I realized that some of the side effects from Mucinex directly mirror how I've been feeling the past week, so I'm going to stop taking it for a couple days and see if that helps.

I have the suction machine, and I'm doing the salt and baking soda rinses (along with the MuGard). Does anyone else have any tips to help with the mucous?

Four more radiations and I'm done. That's what I'm trying to focus on right now. :-)

Comments

• TheOtherDitto
    TheOtherDitto Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Happy for you Laralyn!!!
    Congrats on getting that last chemo in! Now you only have 4 more rads then you can get off this bus!!!! YAY!!!!! You have maintained a positive attitude throughout your treatment and you've been an inspiration to all the bus mates sitting behind you!!! Prayers for a speedy recovery.
    Diane and Doug
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    chemo down
    Hi Laralyn,

I am happy to hear it is almost over for you. So sorry to hear about you getting sick from the treatments. I also took Regalan for nausea, but I never threw up, I just felt lousy. I swished a lot of the baking soda water and hacked up what mucus I could. I am sorry I don’t have any answers but I sure feel your pain. May your final radiation treatments fly by.

Matt
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Oh wow Laralyn....
    I wish you didn't feel so crappy, you're so close to being done...something to celebrate!!

I also wish I had a trick up my sleeve to help out with the mucous, except Musinex and the suction machine are the only things I remember reading on here. (Except some folks were doing nose rinses to help but I can't remember what they were using).

The BIG deal is tho......you DID the last treatment, you got thru it with better nausea meds...you don't have to do any more of those. 4 rads left (oh, I can hardly wait till that's my number!) You'll be able to nestle in at home, instead dragging yourself out the door everyday when you feel like schmidt. You can tick these last 4 off, one day at a time...one foot in front of the other. I'm right behind you with 10 rads left...

p
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

Oh wow Laralyn....
    I wish you didn't feel so crappy, you're so close to being done...something to celebrate!!

I also wish I had a trick up my sleeve to help out with the mucous, except Musinex and the suction machine are the only things I remember reading on here. (Except some folks were doing nose rinses to help but I can't remember what they were using).

The BIG deal is tho......you DID the last treatment, you got thru it with better nausea meds...you don't have to do any more of those. 4 rads left (oh, I can hardly wait till that's my number!) You'll be able to nestle in at home, instead dragging yourself out the door everyday when you feel like schmidt. You can tick these last 4 off, one day at a time...one foot in front of the other. I'm right behind you with 10 rads left...

p

I'm happy for you Laralyn...
    Gingerale worked okay for me ...but to be honest this will be the WORST if it is thick and heavy as mine was......oooooh how I wanted get past that mucous ...but it took almost 2 months ...I don't share that to be a downer ...but just so you know it will end ....it will...and you have been fantastic at getting thru all your treatments!!!!

Prayers still coming !!!!

Tim
  • Ingrid K
    Ingrid K Member Posts: 813
    Options
    good for you
    GOOD FOR YOU !! you are almost done and can get off the bus soon -- you will be able to rest and get started on the path to feeling normal again. You are doing everything right, can't think of anything else to suggest that I did, except I forced the water...whenever I thought I had had enough, I drank some more...or put it thru the tube. I do think that the extra water helped me with the nausea. it kept it to a minimum.

So proud of you pulling it all together and getting that last round of chemo in. This way you won't ever second guess yourself. You did it.

only 4 more rads left -- you can DEFINITELY do that-- that's easy peasy.
  • Sam999
    Sam999 Member Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Ingrid K said:

good for you
    GOOD FOR YOU !! you are almost done and can get off the bus soon -- you will be able to rest and get started on the path to feeling normal again. You are doing everything right, can't think of anything else to suggest that I did, except I forced the water...whenever I thought I had had enough, I drank some more...or put it thru the tube. I do think that the extra water helped me with the nausea. it kept it to a minimum.

So proud of you pulling it all together and getting that last round of chemo in. This way you won't ever second guess yourself. You did it.

only 4 more rads left -- you can DEFINITELY do that-- that's easy peasy.

Hi Laralyn,
    Hang in there!

Hi Laralyn,

Hang in there! You are almost done. You have the right positive attitude that will help you go thru this and inspire all of us behind you.

I read in one of the post (do not remember where) that plain carbonated swishes helps in releasing mucous.

I have started to see mucus this morning, not sure how fast it gets bad.

You mentioned about not taking mucinex? I thought that was supposed to help in mucous?

Sam
  • Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    Options
    Sam999 said:

Hi Laralyn,
    Hang in there!

Hi Laralyn,

Hang in there! You are almost done. You have the right positive attitude that will help you go thru this and inspire all of us behind you.

I read in one of the post (do not remember where) that plain carbonated swishes helps in releasing mucous.

I have started to see mucus this morning, not sure how fast it gets bad.

You mentioned about not taking mucinex? I thought that was supposed to help in mucous?

Sam

Mucinex
    I'm not sure if Mucinex helped me or not. When I looked up some of the side effects, they included nausea and vomiting, and some users complained that it seemed to make more mucus since it was trying to get it out of your body... and that extra mucus made them feel like vomiting. I decided to take a break for a couple days to see if I feel better without it.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Mucousous
    You might try club soda also for rinses or myself I like to sip it...

But then again, I liked Alka-Seltzer as a kid, LOL...

JG
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Laralyn

I am glad to hear you are right at the finish line, you got it keep focus and keep positive it will soon all be over.

Hondo
  • meaganb
    meaganb Member Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Robitussin!!
    Robitussin has worked great for me in breaking up the mucus. If you try it yet the max strength. It broke the mucus up/ thinned in out and made it easier for me to bring it up and spit. Gross but true! You're almost done!!! You can do it!!!
  • George_Baltimore
    George_Baltimore Member Posts: 303
    Options
    meaganb said:

Robitussin!!
    Robitussin has worked great for me in breaking up the mucus. If you try it yet the max strength. It broke the mucus up/ thinned in out and made it easier for me to bring it up and spit. Gross but true! You're almost done!!! You can do it!!!

Robitussin if you are a millionaire!
    It's the Guaifenesin in the Robitussin that you want to check. I believe the Robitussin Max has 200mg whereas the regular ones have 100mg. I would suggest using one of the chain pharmacies versions of Robitussin. It's quite a bit of difference in price. I tried Walgreen's version but it was a little thicker than the one I get. I have a CVS rewards card. Usually about once a month, they run a 40% off sale from their website. I buy four 12oz bottles of TussinDM (their version of Robitussin) at a time which lasts me about a month. You are not supposed to ingest more than 2 tsps every 4 hours due to the dextromethorphan (the DM part). It costs me $27 and that includes shipping. I think the largest size Robitussin makes is 8oz and that, if my memory serves me right, is almost 10 bucks. Big difference in price. You don't want to become addicted to the dextromethorphan though so be careful.
  • patricke
    patricke Member Posts: 570
    Options
    Congratulations Laralyn, you
    Congratulations Laralyn, you are almost thru the treatment gauntlet, and then on to recovery; you're doing great! Hopefully, you will be able to leave the nausea behind once treatment is also behind you. Hang in there!

PATRICK