Is swelling under arms a concern?

Options
Rhonda Mohr
Rhonda Mohr Member Posts: 7
Hi. I am 8 weeks post bilateral mastectomy. 4 nodes removed from right side and only one from the left. I feel my incision is healing well and I don't have a lot of pain there. However, under my arms is very swollen, feels warm and hurts. I am a heavy woman. My surgeon just keeps telling me that this area is just "me" (aka my back fat) and that maybe my fat is just angry at being disturbed. The swelling and discomfort has increased since my surgery, not decreased. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it something to be concerned with? I know it can take a year for everything to get back to normal but I don't want to ignore something if it isn't normal. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Hi Rhonda,
    My bilateral was

Hi Rhonda,

My bilateral was Jan 2011, with axillary dissection on the left. Is your swelling on both sides? or just one? Maybe some of the post surgery exercises you're doing are aggravating the area? If that might be what's happening, I would recommend a physical therapist. Another possibility is lymphedema, if that's the case you'll want to see someone certified in dealing with LE. Ultimately though, I hope your doc is right and it's just part of the healing process for you and that it goes away soon. I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    What sort of swelling? Is
    What sort of swelling? Is it generalized or is it sort of a 'pocket'?

Seromas can develope after surgery. Very basically, they are a 'pocket' that fills with fluid. Usually they will be drained. I developed one after my last drain was out and it had 5to be drained several times. Even though it seemed to be dealt with - it still showed on a CAT about 9 mths later.

An appt. with a CERTIFIED Lymphedema Therapist (not some PT who claims to 'know all about LE'- some PT's are Certified LE but not all just as some OT are certified LE - my guy is an OT + his LE) is in order to get an evaluation. Lymphedema can develope when even one node is removed. It also is n't only in arms/hands - it can be on the trunk also.

Are you doing any exercises? If you are there may be a problem with what you're doing. If you haven't been given exercises to do then you to find out what you should be doing based on you and 'where' you are today.

Just my thoughts/experience.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

What sort of swelling? Is
    What sort of swelling? Is it generalized or is it sort of a 'pocket'?

Seromas can develope after surgery. Very basically, they are a 'pocket' that fills with fluid. Usually they will be drained. I developed one after my last drain was out and it had 5to be drained several times. Even though it seemed to be dealt with - it still showed on a CAT about 9 mths later.

An appt. with a CERTIFIED Lymphedema Therapist (not some PT who claims to 'know all about LE'- some PT's are Certified LE but not all just as some OT are certified LE - my guy is an OT + his LE) is in order to get an evaluation. Lymphedema can develope when even one node is removed. It also is n't only in arms/hands - it can be on the trunk also.

Are you doing any exercises? If you are there may be a problem with what you're doing. If you haven't been given exercises to do then you to find out what you should be doing based on you and 'where' you are today.

Just my thoughts/experience.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

bumping up ....
    darn spammers!!
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Options
    I have swelling under one
    I have swelling under one arm which is Lymph edema. I had one lymph node removed from each side but only swelling on one side my surgery will be 2 years in July.It will always be there you get use to it.
    Hugs Frankie
  • jwood1176
    jwood1176 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hello, rhonda, i had 2 nodes
    Hello, rhonda, i had 2 nodes removed that was back in october, i had some swelling and still have some tender areas. have they checked for a possible blood clot? i ask because of pain, heat and swelling, is it red?
  • anniem123
    anniem123 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Swelling
    About 3 weeks after my lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed I developed swelling in my armpit. It grew fast. My dr determined it was MERSA. Drained the infection and put me on Bactrim. Ask your dr to test you for this.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Hi Rhonda,
    My bilateral was

Hi Rhonda,

My bilateral was Jan 2011, with axillary dissection on the left. Is your swelling on both sides? or just one? Maybe some of the post surgery exercises you're doing are aggravating the area? If that might be what's happening, I would recommend a physical therapist. Another possibility is lymphedema, if that's the case you'll want to see someone certified in dealing with LE. Ultimately though, I hope your doc is right and it's just part of the healing process for you and that it goes away soon. I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Linda

I don't know, but, you
    I don't know, but, you should see your doctor and ask. It might be the start of lymphedema.

Good luck,

Leeza