I'm rectal cancer but visiting Breast with a question bc I've been having pain

Helen321
Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
Doctor says that breast pain is not cancer. Of course a doctor left my polyps in my body 10 years ago and now I have cancer so I don't really "trust" doctors anymore. I went for a mammogram at 37. I am now 42, still having the pain in the exact two spots whenever pressed. The pain is not in the actual breast but in the area beneath the breast. Picture an underwire bra, middle of chest, where the underwire ends. So it's right by the breast bone basically. Anyone ever heard of this? Doctor originally said caffeine. When mammogram turned up nothing, doctor said it is just "phantom pain". I'm going for a PET scan tomorrow, see if anything turns up on there. Hoping it really is just regular unexplained pain although at this point, I'm realizing there is no such thing. I lost my sense of smell around 36 and I'm realizing that is a really bad sign that something is wrong in the body. Could just be my rectal cancer. What doctor do you go to for breasts? Gynecology seems useless and is just ignoring the problem. Thanks. Helen

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    The PET...
    The PET scan should either relieve your fear and anxiety or show otherwise.... I've been fighting a recurrence of breast cancer for the last year...even when I found a lump originally,in 2009 I had no pain in the breast at all...nor did I have any pain, totally blindsided, when it returned last June in my lymph nodes...no pain when my scans in Feb. Showed 3 small spots on my brain...totally asymptotic!

Hopefully the PET will show nothing! Keep us posted, we care and understand your anxiety
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Helen321
    MAJW said:

The PET...
    The PET scan should either relieve your fear and anxiety or show otherwise.... I've been fighting a recurrence of breast cancer for the last year...even when I found a lump originally,in 2009 I had no pain in the breast at all...nor did I have any pain, totally blindsided, when it returned last June in my lymph nodes...no pain when my scans in Feb. Showed 3 small spots on my brain...totally asymptotic!

Hopefully the PET will show nothing! Keep us posted, we care and understand your anxiety
    Hugs, Nancy

Thanks Nancy, I insisted on
    Thanks Nancy, I insisted on a PET scan because for quite a long time now I've had the breast pain, mental confusion and memory loss. My doctor doesn't think it's necessary. He thinks the rectal cancer is local. I've also have precancerous cervical (got my annual pap last week, waiting for results, had a clear pap for about 5 years now), an aunt that died from breast cancer (found very late and she opted for no treatment) and recently found out my other aunt is living with colon cancer for 20 years now and didn't "share" that she had it. My cousin says there are many precancerous colon polyps in the family and other cancers but she is not at liberty to tell. Cancer seems to run in my father's family and they are "the irish keep your health a secret" types. I've read that pain is not a sign of breast cancer. That's why I figured I'd ask. Thanks for the info. It's hard just to wait for this PET scan, I need it over already. I'm hoping it's just stress or maybe I wear my bras too tight, I'll take anything. I do have a lot of stress the last 10 years with work, the kids and a so/so marriage so that would make sense. I'm trying to get it under control so I can beat this. Stress is also believed to cause cancer but it's as hard to beat stress as it is to wait for tests. lol Thanks for the assurance, I'll post in a few days once I get the results!
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Helen321 said:

Thanks Nancy, I insisted on
    Thanks Nancy, I insisted on a PET scan because for quite a long time now I've had the breast pain, mental confusion and memory loss. My doctor doesn't think it's necessary. He thinks the rectal cancer is local. I've also have precancerous cervical (got my annual pap last week, waiting for results, had a clear pap for about 5 years now), an aunt that died from breast cancer (found very late and she opted for no treatment) and recently found out my other aunt is living with colon cancer for 20 years now and didn't "share" that she had it. My cousin says there are many precancerous colon polyps in the family and other cancers but she is not at liberty to tell. Cancer seems to run in my father's family and they are "the irish keep your health a secret" types. I've read that pain is not a sign of breast cancer. That's why I figured I'd ask. Thanks for the info. It's hard just to wait for this PET scan, I need it over already. I'm hoping it's just stress or maybe I wear my bras too tight, I'll take anything. I do have a lot of stress the last 10 years with work, the kids and a so/so marriage so that would make sense. I'm trying to get it under control so I can beat this. Stress is also believed to cause cancer but it's as hard to beat stress as it is to wait for tests. lol Thanks for the assurance, I'll post in a few days once I get the results!

Hope everything turns out ok
    Breast pain is USUALLY not a symptom of breast cancer but it can be. That being said, our minds always go to the dark side whenever there is something out of the ordinary going on. We seem to forget that symptoms don't have to be cancer-related. I hope that's the case with you. Are you wearing a bra that has an underwire? If you are, I'd suggest you change and see if your soreness goes away. I was told not to wear underwire bra because I was complaining of soreness particularly around my surgery site (mine is on the underside of my breast). Do you feel lumps there or just soreness?

After lots of times of not knowing what to do and who to see, I now see my primary care physician when things are amiss. She always listens and will get anything checked out for me. All the other oncology folks I see don't seem to want to bother unless they already have a diagnosis and something to apply their skills to. That's just my impression but it feels like Dr. X only does this, Dr. Y only does that, but my pcp listens and acts!

Good luck, Helen. Let us know the results of the PET scan. Hopefully, it will put your mind at ease.

Suzanne
  • Helen321

Hope everything turns out ok
    Breast pain is USUALLY not a symptom of breast cancer but it can be. That being said, our minds always go to the dark side whenever there is something out of the ordinary going on. We seem to forget that symptoms don't have to be cancer-related. I hope that's the case with you. Are you wearing a bra that has an underwire? If you are, I'd suggest you change and see if your soreness goes away. I was told not to wear underwire bra because I was complaining of soreness particularly around my surgery site (mine is on the underside of my breast). Do you feel lumps there or just soreness?

After lots of times of not knowing what to do and who to see, I now see my primary care physician when things are amiss. She always listens and will get anything checked out for me. All the other oncology folks I see don't seem to want to bother unless they already have a diagnosis and something to apply their skills to. That's just my impression but it feels like Dr. X only does this, Dr. Y only does that, but my pcp listens and acts!

Good luck, Helen. Let us know the results of the PET scan. Hopefully, it will put your mind at ease.

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne, just pain,
    Thanks Suzanne, just pain, no lumps. I've had pain in that exact spot for several years and yes I do wear an underwire. The caffeine suggestion got rid of the majority of the pain. I've been caffeine free for several years but these two spots don't fade. It's so true about the dark side. I've gone from having rectal cancer to having breast, lung and brain cancer all in the course of a few weeks. I finally had to insist on a PET scan just so I can feel relieved. Thanks for the GP advice. My old GP is the one who did a sigmoidoscopy (it's a lesser version of a colonoscopy which he should never have done in his office) and is the reason I now have rectal cancer and who shrugs off my breast pain but I love my new GP, she really does listen. I'm going to lose the underwire for awhile, see what happens.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Helen321 said:

Thanks Suzanne, just pain,
    Thanks Suzanne, just pain, no lumps. I've had pain in that exact spot for several years and yes I do wear an underwire. The caffeine suggestion got rid of the majority of the pain. I've been caffeine free for several years but these two spots don't fade. It's so true about the dark side. I've gone from having rectal cancer to having breast, lung and brain cancer all in the course of a few weeks. I finally had to insist on a PET scan just so I can feel relieved. Thanks for the GP advice. My old GP is the one who did a sigmoidoscopy (it's a lesser version of a colonoscopy which he should never have done in his office) and is the reason I now have rectal cancer and who shrugs off my breast pain but I love my new GP, she really does listen. I'm going to lose the underwire for awhile, see what happens.

Helen--first of all, glad you changed doctors
    and you love your new one. I certainly can understand your distrust--after what you've been through with rectal cancer.

You are definitely doing the right thing by getting more scanning done. I had what was read as a "normal" mammo. in June '09 only to be diagnosed with Stage 3C (I'm now Stage 4!) invasive ductal carcinoma in Nov. '09. My trust has been shaken to the core.

Anyway, please keep us informed as to your results. And, I'll send the prayers and positive energy your way.

Hugs, Renee
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    We are all different
    I had no pain - but some do. My understanding is that the location and type comes into play as to rather there is pain or not.

I do not believe there is "just regular unexplained pain". Pain may be 'unexplained' - but there is always a reason for it IF it's looked for. I have quite a few places that occasionally I'll get pain in. 'Nothing' is going on now but they are sites of past injuries.

Keep asking and get 2nd and 3rd and more opinions if needed . You asked who to see - I can only tell you who I saw - everything was quick. I saw my PA at 11 for the lump under arm - at 1 I had a mammo, sono and biopsy. At 8 the next morning (Fri) I thad the path. report - IBC. The next week I saw surgeon, rads and chemo Drs andscans. It was 17 days from DX til I started chemo. I had no problem with getting taken seriously.

Even IF something shows 'hot' on the PET does not mean something bad. My PET 'lit up' for an area along my lower jaw on IBC side. It was biopsied and nothing there - that was almost 3 yrs ago.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Unexplained "Breast" pain
    Hi Helen,

Like most of us who have had cancer, I am acutely aware of every new pain or bump on my body. Last week just before my quarterly oncologist check-up I felt some pain in the middle of my chest exactly where you are describing your pain. When my doctor felt that spot he said it was called the "xiphoid process." It is basically the end of the sternum/breast bone. He said it is not unusual for it to become inflamed or even arthritic as it is a joint just like other bone joint. You can easily look up xiphoid process on the web and get more information than you ever thought possible.

Hope this gives you some help.

IRENE
  • Helen321

Unexplained "Breast" pain
    Hi Helen,

Like most of us who have had cancer, I am acutely aware of every new pain or bump on my body. Last week just before my quarterly oncologist check-up I felt some pain in the middle of my chest exactly where you are describing your pain. When my doctor felt that spot he said it was called the "xiphoid process." It is basically the end of the sternum/breast bone. He said it is not unusual for it to become inflamed or even arthritic as it is a joint just like other bone joint. You can easily look up xiphoid process on the web and get more information than you ever thought possible.

Hope this gives you some help.

IRENE

I officially love you Irene,
    I officially love you Irene, I have athritis in my fingers!!! I'm going to look it up now. That would make SO much sense! My old doctor should just quit his day job.
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Helen321 said:

I officially love you Irene,
    I officially love you Irene, I have athritis in my fingers!!! I'm going to look it up now. That would make SO much sense! My old doctor should just quit his day job.

Xiphoid Process
    I am glad I could be of some help. It will be interesting to hear what your doctor has to say when you bring it up. Clearly it is something to at least be considered.

IRENE
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Xiphoid Process
    I am glad I could be of some help. It will be interesting to hear what your doctor has to say when you bring it up. Clearly it is something to at least be considered.

IRENE

Helen ... I am happy you found us ... The Sisters in PINK,
    Kindred Spirits brought together by this horrible disease we know as breast cancer, or aka
    the beast.

I am sorry that you've gone thru so much as such a young age .. any age for that matter
    is too young to lose our innocence regarding any type of cancer.

Push, shove and insist on results -- if necessary, switch doctors - as you did. Never
    ever question your sanity, or the fact that we know our bodies better than any doctor.

My prayers and positive thoughts are with you -- Please continue to keep us posted.

Strength, Courage and Hope for a Cure.

Vicki Sam
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    I'm with Vicki Sam, very
    I'm with Vicki Sam, very well said. Welcome Helen and please keep us posted.
    Miles of Love,
    ~Kari
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

I'm with Vicki Sam, very
    I'm with Vicki Sam, very well said. Welcome Helen and please keep us posted.
    Miles of Love,
    ~Kari

bumping ...
    UP!
  • Helen321
    VickiSam said:

bumping ...
    UP!

Pet scan showed nothing
    Pet scan showed nothing except rectal and one spot on one ovary which could be ovulation, going to find out during my surgery since ovaries can't be biopsied. Pain is still there daily although I went and picked out some new style bras the other day. Going to try that path. Will talk to my GP about a sonogram of those particular spots although I would imagine a PET scan is better than a sonogram. Thanks for all the help!