Protein, appetite and chemo

Options
barbebarb
barbebarb Member Posts: 464
Has anyone used protein powder to keep up their weight and muscle mass after surgery or during chemo? (Besides food or in addition to)
I am at a weight I should be since my two surgeries but am concerned about getting enough protein before chemo starts next Friday. My appetite is better but I cant consume large quantities of meal portions. Have been eating lots of chicken, tuna, eggs and trying to add protein shakes. My oncologist did not seem concerned since I maintained my weight after surgery checkups. There are some great organic protein powders w/lots of nutrients out there.
Of course I cant drink them cold w/oxaliplatanin infusion
Its challenging to add calories and have the food be a protein choice too. At least for me.

Comments

• pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    mediclear from iherb.com
    Been on it for 6 months based on doctors advice, getting more muscle and working out.
    Room temp drinks are more easily absorbed anyway.

I would focus on gut rebuild after chemo, it's a challenge to get protein and nutrients absorbed post chemo.

Hugs,,
    Pete

Ps exercise is the key
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Diet and Exercise can help a lot!
    I agree with Pete. Exercise and Balanced diet. I found I needed potassium and electrolytes. Bananas and Gatoraid became a meal standard. I eat the zone diet. It is basically a Meditrerranean Diet. I ate a huge volume of calories and still was losing weight, due to the frequent restroom visits. I could not absorb enough calories during chemo. The lack of the body to absorb calories makes juicing a consideration.

Exercise will keep your muscle mass. I walked every day, some days just a few blocks at a time. My wife and I got up to walking two miles in the morning and two miles in the evening. I would take additional walks during the day, some up to 7 miles in the mountains, and some times just a couple of blocks around the house.

Best Always, mike
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Perhaps if you change your timing on eating it might help. Eating small meals/snacks many times a day can help you get more.

After my surgery they wanted me to 'protein up' and suggested meats (of course), cheese, and peanut butter. I also used BOOST with extra protein. While I drank mine cold most of the time, it wasn't bad room temp. I also did small portions of this frequently.

You may need to try out various flavors or even other comperable options such as Ensure until you come across something which you like.

Hoping that you find foods and regimen that works well for you.

Marie who loves kitties
  • barbebarb
    Options

Hi
    Perhaps if you change your timing on eating it might help. Eating small meals/snacks many times a day can help you get more.

After my surgery they wanted me to 'protein up' and suggested meats (of course), cheese, and peanut butter. I also used BOOST with extra protein. While I drank mine cold most of the time, it wasn't bad room temp. I also did small portions of this frequently.

You may need to try out various flavors or even other comperable options such as Ensure until you come across something which you like.

Hoping that you find foods and regimen that works well for you.

Marie who loves kitties

Thank you
    So appreciate all your suggestions...My appetite is better now and I am eating small frequent meals as I can. I have the protein drinks and will grab one as I run out the door to my support group.
    I have broken the rules and eat meat once a week and really need to eat more fish.
    Also am adding barley grass supplement and bought citrus pectin. My neghbor go's to the Block Center in Evanston IL and is very knowledgeable about nutrients and supplements.
    I am walking everyday but the area/ribs still spasm or create discomfort but it feels so good to exercise even if just walking.
    I guess I am doing all I can for now and will have to nourish myself during chemo which starts again end of week.
    Thank you! Cant wait until I can do more (golfing will have to wait)
    Barbebarb. :-)
  • janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    barbebarb said:

Thank you
    So appreciate all your suggestions...My appetite is better now and I am eating small frequent meals as I can. I have the protein drinks and will grab one as I run out the door to my support group.
    I have broken the rules and eat meat once a week and really need to eat more fish.
    Also am adding barley grass supplement and bought citrus pectin. My neghbor go's to the Block Center in Evanston IL and is very knowledgeable about nutrients and supplements.
    I am walking everyday but the area/ribs still spasm or create discomfort but it feels so good to exercise even if just walking.
    I guess I am doing all I can for now and will have to nourish myself during chemo which starts again end of week.
    Thank you! Cant wait until I can do more (golfing will have to wait)
    Barbebarb. :-)

protein
    I don't eat a whole lot of protein, but do add the powder to milk (not a big lover of Ensure).
    I never really have an appetite the day of chemo and for 2 days after, so I skip the protein, and mostly everything in general. But after that i eat normally and get the protein drinks in.
    Best to you.
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    janie1 said:

protein
    I don't eat a whole lot of protein, but do add the powder to milk (not a big lover of Ensure).
    I never really have an appetite the day of chemo and for 2 days after, so I skip the protein, and mostly everything in general. But after that i eat normally and get the protein drinks in.
    Best to you.

alot more in this post than meets the eyes
    First, no appetite means don't eat in my books based on natural health principles.. pretty simple really.
    It's a good clue that body cannot absorb .

I would fix no appetite, I went to Naturopath and appetite after chemo was huge.

Also, I follow China study guidelines so I limit my
    Total daily protein to 110grams from veg sources and have nil from animal sources.

Goodluck. Just my beliefs based on my journey.

Hugs,
    Pete
  • dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    yes I use protien supplements
    Whem I find I am not eating well I will use a protien sup..
    I use either a protien bar the are easy.. though my intestines seem to react to them negatively..
    I have success with making a Designer Whey shake with Lactaid milk and fresh or frozen fruit added.. Strawberrie, Blueberries, Coffee, Banana's, Peanut Butter, Cocoa powder with stevia.. and sometimes if I am feeling like this it be a true meal replacement I add some yogurt..
    I started protien when I had gastric bypass it is a staple of my diet thought I had graduated to using mainly food. this has stuck with me when I was feeling out of sorts..
    I like Designer Whey products but there are many out there to try.. At my gym I don't know the product they use in their shakes for protein but is really good too.. at the gym I like banana peanut buter protien shake they make and the raspberry/bananna..
    Though even just chocolate milk after a workout is good to keep the protien moveing thru your muscle ... a trainer told me this.. and I do notice it makes me feel strong after I work out.. I also like ISOPURE in the glass bottles.. they taste like coolaid.. but you have to get used to the protien slime they leave in your mouth.. but they are worth the money.. I can't drink a whole one at one time .. so be near a refridgerator as if you leave protien out it starts to loose is potentcy after 30 minutes once hydrated or exposed to air so always keep it sealed
    I cannot use those ready made Ensure drink.. they cause a huge ammount of distess.. and they are actually not very effective so they aren't worth the money.. My doc actually advises the use of Carnation instant breakfast for a boost.
    I suggest experimenting till you find the one you like..
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    Options
    Cravings
    I've found that if you find yourself craving something, there's something in it that your body needs and is manifesting itself. After chemo today, I had an overwhelming craving for a medium rare steak, but settled for a medium rare burger with a fried egg instead. I've also had frequent cravings for sushi, so I indulge in that when I can. I also drink at least one glass of Boost with high protein a day. BTW, mt protein levels are below the minimum, but coming back up since they dipped. Likewise, my magnesium level was dangerously low, so I'm jacking up my intake of leafy greens, mainly spinach (it's about the only one that I like. Never did care much for plants.) I'm going to switch from cereal for breakfast to fruit smoothies and will add protein powder. Several years ago I was 225 lbs and smoothies helped me to drop a lot of weight, along with a good diet and exercise regime.

I had a discussion with my onc today and told him that I'd make a deal with him: he stops harping at me for wanting to drop about 10 - 15 pounds if I trade my fat for muscle and get and keep all of my numbers in the healthy range. I'm 175 now and want to get down to 145. That pic with the wings was taken when I was down to 145 pounds four years ago, but I'm not going to go that low. I've told him and my physical therapist that I want to be the healthiest cancer patient alive.
  • dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Doc_Hawk said:

Cravings
    I've found that if you find yourself craving something, there's something in it that your body needs and is manifesting itself. After chemo today, I had an overwhelming craving for a medium rare steak, but settled for a medium rare burger with a fried egg instead. I've also had frequent cravings for sushi, so I indulge in that when I can. I also drink at least one glass of Boost with high protein a day. BTW, mt protein levels are below the minimum, but coming back up since they dipped. Likewise, my magnesium level was dangerously low, so I'm jacking up my intake of leafy greens, mainly spinach (it's about the only one that I like. Never did care much for plants.) I'm going to switch from cereal for breakfast to fruit smoothies and will add protein powder. Several years ago I was 225 lbs and smoothies helped me to drop a lot of weight, along with a good diet and exercise regime.

I had a discussion with my onc today and told him that I'd make a deal with him: he stops harping at me for wanting to drop about 10 - 15 pounds if I trade my fat for muscle and get and keep all of my numbers in the healthy range. I'm 175 now and want to get down to 145. That pic with the wings was taken when I was down to 145 pounds four years ago, but I'm not going to go that low. I've told him and my physical therapist that I want to be the healthiest cancer patient alive.

Burgers
    I can absolutely relate to this..
    I absolutely crave Red meat while on Chemo.. steak, burgers, meatloaf, meatballs. Roast beef.. you name it if Red I am at it..
    Carnivorous.. to the max..

I am good on the veggies..
    if you are juicing or do the smoothy thing.. Please check out the site.. MyCrazySexyLife,com
    It is a site formed by a cancer survivor who writes for the NY Times.. and it all about how she changed her prognosis by juicing and vegging out...
    It at times is a little hokey.. but the recipes are good and healthy.. it that is your goal.. check it out it is a free site..
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    Options
    Doc_Hawk said:

Cravings

Oops
    I meant that I want to get down to 165. I think that 145 would be excessive.
  • barbebarb
    Options
    Doc_Hawk said:

Oops
    I meant that I want to get down to 165. I think that 145 would be excessive.

Weight and chemo
    This info has been reassuring. If I crave junk food once a week I have allowed myself that treat. I have eaten meat and have craved it at times...
    Read the Crazy Sexy Cancer books when I was waiting for my diagnosis to come through. I liked both of her books.
    My weight is where it should be and I have a good energy level so I'll just have to eat more smaller meals w/chemo this round.
    Spinach and dark greens have been proven to help w/blood counts and the protein powders with berries and other fruits are good.
    I am used to drinking lukewarm bottled water but adding lemon or lime helps. Lately I have been drinking diet pepsi here and there....
    It is to our advantage to be as healthy as we can by choosing nutritious food.
    My neighbor shares a three bean soup w/kale from Whole Foods.I made kale chips for my first chemo infusion but couldn't stand the smell. Spinach and kale's blended in a smoothly is a good way to sneak in the greens without tasting them too much.
    Might I add McDonalds new blueberry oatmeal is very good.
    So much to think about with cancer and eating but we all need a little indulgence at times. :-)
    One last note - fish....omega 3's!
    There is a soy ice cream made w/agave sweetener and coconut milk and it is very good. The brand is So something...
    Ok I am getting hungry now..... lol
    Yes don't forget bananas!