juicer vs. blender

Options
Karen63
Karen63 Member Posts: 25
I start my first round of chemo this coming Friday. I have read the info from the oncologist and feel fairly well prepared ( I am sure you chemo veteran's are thinking "sure you are"). I have a question, though: I am thinking of getting either a juicer or blender (have neither). Any recommendations for me?

Thanks!

Comments

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Hi Karen
    There have been many posts on this board regarding juicing. The juicer allows you to get the full benifit of the entire veggie or fruit.

The blender, if a good strong powered one, will let you make smoothies which can also be benificial for the smaller softer things like berries. Using the berries frozen allows you to skip the deluting ice and most berries retain their 'good for you' benifits when frozen.

Regardless of which you get you can find receipes on the net or there are a number of books available. I got one that offers receipes for both the blender and the juicer.

Good drinking with which ever you get.

Marie who loves kitties
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    both
    I started with a champion juicer and love it.

Now I also use a blender to make green smoothies.

I am on a zero fruit diet.

Goodluck.

Hugs,
    Pete
  • dmj101
    dmj101 Member Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    my crazy sexy life.com
    Hi Karen.
    Please check out the site My crazy sexy life.. it is also a book.
    the author is a ny times writer and cancer survivor..
    she is into naturals and juicing and offers recipes and life solutions. the chat rooms/discussion boards are full of concepts regardng Juicing. Those folks will tell you to get a juicer.. I am yet to do so.. but have been doing the natural thing..
    Good luck on your journey and i wish you much success..
    Donna
  • Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    Options
    Smoothies
    Personally, I prefer fruit smoothies over juices, so I just use a blender. When I was dieting a few years ago, I'd have a fruit smoothie for breakfast and it had the advantage of filling me up more than just juice. Also, putting some Greek yogurt and protein powder in them will help with adding the good buggies that your stomach needs to function and other vitamins to supplement your diet.
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I have both but primarily
    I have both but primarily use the juicer. Juicing is more effective. The idea is that pure juice is absorbed much faster and more efficently into the blood stream without having to digest all of the fiber.
  • barbebarb
    barbebarb Member Posts: 464
    Options

I have both but primarily
    I have both but primarily use the juicer. Juicing is more effective. The idea is that pure juice is absorbed much faster and more efficently into the blood stream without having to digest all of the fiber.

Barley Grass
    I only have a blender.
    Does anyone add barley grass?
    I have bought frozen cubes that are easy to use.
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    barbebarb said:

Barley Grass
    I only have a blender.
    Does anyone add barley grass?
    I have bought frozen cubes that are easy to use.

I do wheat grass but have a
    I do wheat grass but have a special grass juicer for that.