Radiation Aftermath ~ ITCHING!

lowens
lowens Member Posts: 37
Hey All,
I finished my radiation and chemotherapy over three weeks ago; today is Day 24! Had to go to Wound Care (THANK YOU, Jesus!) as the Silvadine at-home regimen wasn't doing the trick. New skin growth is definitely seen now that silvacel and aquacel have been used for two weeks. My PROBLEM is that itching on a scale of 1 - 10 is at least an 8. I am so uncomfortable during the day and certainly cannot sleep as a result at night. I have 5mg Ambien that I may try tonight; although I really do not want to take another drug perhaps I can simply sleep through it. Anyone experience this problem and have some words of encouragement or a suggestion that worked for them? Been awake and surfing the internet for the last three hours... Praying this too shall pass!!!!

Comments

• Cheyenne
    Cheyenne Member Posts: 77
    Benedryl
    The number one suggestion that I have seen for itching is to take 2 benedryl tablets. Taking only one at a time didn't seem to work.
  • torrance
    torrance Member Posts: 118
    Itching
    Boy I can relate to this...mine started about week two of radiation. About a year before this journey I had some sort of allergic reaction and had been prescribed Atarax. So I asked for it again and it certainly helped, alot. For some it may cause drowsiness, for me it didn't, I was able to take it with no side effects. Just an idea. HTH
  • AZANNIE
    AZANNIE Member Posts: 445 Member
    torrance said:

Itching
    Boy I can relate to this...mine started about week two of radiation. About a year before this journey I had some sort of allergic reaction and had been prescribed Atarax. So I asked for it again and it certainly helped, alot. For some it may cause drowsiness, for me it didn't, I was able to take it with no side effects. Just an idea. HTH

Itching
    Mine started about week 2, too, but the radiation nurse said it was too soon for side effects????? Wish I had thought about taking Benadryl. I tried Vagisil because that was the area that itched, but that relief was short lived.
    Hope you get relief soon!
  • lowens
    lowens Member Posts: 37
    torrance said:

Itching

Itching still............. UGH!
    Background Knowledge ~ My itching began at the very beginning of radiation as well. I was prescribed Proctozone (no relief really) and told to get Vagisil (and, no relief really). NOW that radiation is over and the raw burned is in the process of healing, the itching is my #1 issue. Like a sunburn that heals comes the itching BUTT this is ridiculous. ;(

Last night/Early this morning ~ I took one 5mg Ambien around 10pm last night. I was tired and actually fell asleep fairly soon. Twice have I woken up due to itching and the need to go to the restroom. I have to remove a bit a wound care dressing before and then replace it once finished. I have got it down at this point so little time is lost. BUT... I am experiencing the itching again and it is all I can think about. I go to wound care at Methodist Hospital in the Houston Medical Center in about 7 hours/mid-day. I will complain about it again and be sent off with no answer from the sweet OT/PT/WCS; she can't prescribe anything but she is so tender-hearted and caring it is actually the highlight of my day.

Tonight I will try another Ambien. I go to my oncologist this Thursday. I will discuss the difference between one Ambien and two Benedryl (I have taken one before and it really didn't do the trick for me). I guess like everything else on this ride, there are bumps and turns that keep on surprising you (or not!).

Thank you all for your comments and I wish you all a good night's sleep!
    Lisa

I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THIS ITCHING EVENTUALLY SUBSIDES!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ppaseka
    ppaseka Member Posts: 70
    Itching
    Ny wife went through 28 pelvic radiation treatments. The rad onc prescribed Triamcinolone .01% Cream. It is steroids cream and it worked wonders.
  • AZANNIE
    AZANNIE Member Posts: 445 Member
    lowens said:

Itching still............. UGH!
    Background Knowledge ~ My itching began at the very beginning of radiation as well. I was prescribed Proctozone (no relief really) and told to get Vagisil (and, no relief really). NOW that radiation is over and the raw burned is in the process of healing, the itching is my #1 issue. Like a sunburn that heals comes the itching BUTT this is ridiculous. ;(

Last night/Early this morning ~ I took one 5mg Ambien around 10pm last night. I was tired and actually fell asleep fairly soon. Twice have I woken up due to itching and the need to go to the restroom. I have to remove a bit a wound care dressing before and then replace it once finished. I have got it down at this point so little time is lost. BUT... I am experiencing the itching again and it is all I can think about. I go to wound care at Methodist Hospital in the Houston Medical Center in about 7 hours/mid-day. I will complain about it again and be sent off with no answer from the sweet OT/PT/WCS; she can't prescribe anything but she is so tender-hearted and caring it is actually the highlight of my day.

Tonight I will try another Ambien. I go to my oncologist this Thursday. I will discuss the difference between one Ambien and two Benedryl (I have taken one before and it really didn't do the trick for me). I guess like everything else on this ride, there are bumps and turns that keep on surprising you (or not!).

Thank you all for your comments and I wish you all a good night's sleep!
    Lisa

I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THIS ITCHING EVENTUALLY SUBSIDES!!!!!!!!!!!

Itching
    Yes, the itching subsided but don't remember how soon. I don't think it lasted throughout treatment. I was really burned and wound care nurse prescribed xenaderm. Don't if that would help with your itching. Surely there's something out there that would help.
    Hope you get a good night's sleep soon!

Ann
  • torrance
    torrance Member Posts: 118
    ppaseka said:

Itching
    Ny wife went through 28 pelvic radiation treatments. The rad onc prescribed Triamcinolone .01% Cream. It is steroids cream and it worked wonders.

steroid cream
    Beware, When I was hospitalized because of the "burns" the hospital docs never consulted with my rad onc, nor did I know they should at the time. They prescribed the steroid cream and it did give some relief, however, when I got home I remember my rad onc calling to check on me and when he found out about the cream he wanted me stop using it immediately as it could lead to infection. IT DID! No fun. Again for me I went back to the Atarax, which is a prescription strength antihistimine....HTH

Joanne
  • ppaseka
    ppaseka Member Posts: 70
    torrance said:

steroid cream
    Beware, When I was hospitalized because of the "burns" the hospital docs never consulted with my rad onc, nor did I know they should at the time. They prescribed the steroid cream and it did give some relief, however, when I got home I remember my rad onc calling to check on me and when he found out about the cream he wanted me stop using it immediately as it could lead to infection. IT DID! No fun. Again for me I went back to the Atarax, which is a prescription strength antihistimine....HTH

Joanne

Itching
    Our rad onc prescribed the steroids cream. He was very proactive on treating side effects from radiation
  • cap630
    cap630 Member Posts: 151
    Itching
    I was prescribed Biofine for the itching because Silvadine was not letting my skin breath and started a yeast type of infection. Praying you will turn a corner and have some relief soon. ~Carol