My Husband - About to Start Sixth and Final Week

Wanted to give an update. My husband is doing pretty well. Frankly, I am quite surprised at how well he is holding up to this brutal treatment, especially considering this is his second time to get radiation.

He is extremely fatigued, has very dry mouth, had thrush, a bit of a sore throat (and I mean a BIT - nothing like he had last time) and some bone pain from the Neupogen shots. His lab work was good until last week when his creatinine rose a bit but it went back to his normal and they were able to give him chemo. He is getting LOTS of extra hydration and we are even hydrating through the picc line over the weekend.

He has continued to get in, I'd say, 90% of his normal nutrition and hydration through the peg tube. I believe this has made a HUGE difference in how he's felt - the hydration and nutrition. He has lost little to no weight.

Having said all that, I know it could all go bad at any minute, but I hope we will get through the next week ok and he can begin to recover. Doc says he will take the trach out 2-3 weeks after rads are complete. He is more than ready for that thing to come out.

Since there is no "tumor" and only microscopic cancer, we will not know for three months if this all worked. He'll have a pet scan 3.5 months after end of treatment. Oh the joy of waiting.

That's our update, looks like we may make it through this!

Comments

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    good to hear from you
    Sounds like things are going just about as well as could possibly be expected. That is wonderful news, kimmy.

Praying everything continues just like this and that by 4th of July the tube is out and that Bob is feeling much stronger.
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Sending prayers and positive thoughts.....
    that he escapes all that might go bad....how exciting to be in the final week!!! I'm just going to hold on to the idea that he's done so well thus far, that next week at this time, you'll be breathing a huge sigh of relief...

p
  • nick770
    nick770 Member Posts: 195
    thanks for the update! and
    thanks for the update! and congrats on starting the sixth week. It is good to hear he got through this nutritionally on the upside
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    nick770 said:

thanks for the update! and
    thanks for the update! and congrats on starting the sixth week. It is good to hear he got through this nutritionally on the upside

Great-
    to get this update on your husband. Well into the homestretch, and sounds great.

kcass
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Kimmygarland,
    Good news,

Kimmygarland,

Good news, treatments almost completed. Here’s to a smooth ride and to little side effects.

Matt
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    CivilMatt said:

Kimmygarland,
    Good news,

Kimmygarland,

Good news, treatments almost completed. Here’s to a smooth ride and to little side effects.

Matt

Yeah....
    Happy for you ....keep us posed!! :)

Tim
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    excellent
    simply marvelous.
  • Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    6th week congratulations!
    Congratulations on nearing the end of treatments! It sounds like things are going well but even at the times they feel like they're not, just keep your eyes on the prize: being cancer free, and almost done with treatments. Stay strong, and we're all there with you!
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    No Doubts...
    You both are strong and took the battle to it....

So happy that everything is working as planned.

Best,
    John
  • Greg53
    Greg53 Member Posts: 849
    Skiffin16 said:

No Doubts...
    You both are strong and took the battle to it....

So happy that everything is working as planned.

Best,
    John

Good news
    Glad to hear good news Kimmy!

Greg
  • wifeforlife
    wifeforlife Member Posts: 189
    Greg53 said:

Good news
    Glad to hear good news Kimmy!

Greg

:)