Half through

Options
Mrs. Sarge
Mrs. Sarge Member Posts: 206 Member
and counting the days!! The side effects have racheted up and I'm hoping THIS is as bad as it gets! I had posted a week ago that I was hoping that was as bad as it was getting....nope!!! I can still eat a little and I'm learning to cope, eat smaller bites and chew and chew and chew!! :) I did finally use the lidocaine mix and after using enough and getting it down the back of my throat as opposed to in my mouth, which isn't sore, it has seemed to help today! Big gulps of water or anything is OUT! Hurts too bad! Sips are doable, but I'm having a harder time getting in enough water at that rate (no peg) but I'm working on it and continuing some activities tho not all, trying to rest more, which is not my character, but I'm trying!! Having a hard time with my multiple vitamin, so I think I'll lay off of it until I'm through with the soreness, what's a couple of months in the grand scheme of things? Just checking in and telling newbies it's doable!!

Comments

• ditto1
    ditto1 Member Posts: 660
    Options
    Your amazing
    Ms Sarge, thats all I can say. Always up beat even after describing things being as tough as they are. Wow
  • phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Yeah for you, Mrs. Sarge!!!
    Isn't the half way mark a lift to the spirits???

Learning a new normal makes us have to concentrate on things we've done for years without a single thought going towards it....like small bites, chew 100 times, pick up the water or glass of milk to wash it down with. Looking into the refer and thinking....hmmmm, what might go down easily (I've finally been doing John's peaches)...they do slide nice and easy. I haven't had to use Magic Mouthwash yet, but do have to be careful that what I chose won't get stuck and cause a coughing fit...which leads to gagging.

You're attitude is great....you're absolutely right.... it IS doable. One day at a time, one foot in front of the other...and we'll all get thru this together.

p
  • Laralyn
    Laralyn Member Posts: 532
    Options
    It IS doable!
    And we will all do it together. :-)
  • Tim6003
    Tim6003 Member Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Laralyn said:

It IS doable!
    And we will all do it together. :-)

The tough ladies!!!
    Admire you ladies ....you are all tough and have great attitudes ...your posts will certainly make a difference to a newbie coming in one day ..

Still keeping all of you in my prayers.

Tim
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    With Some Luck...
    Hopefully, if you are like me (only more normal, LOL)...

Good News/Bad News Scenario

I think I pretty much peaked and plateued at around mid-point...that's the good news. Bad news is I stayed there for about seven weeks. The last half and another 3-4 after.

JG
  • Mrs. Sarge
    Mrs. Sarge Member Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

With Some Luck...
    Hopefully, if you are like me (only more normal, LOL)...

Good News/Bad News Scenario

I think I pretty much peaked and plateued at around mid-point...that's the good news. Bad news is I stayed there for about seven weeks. The last half and another 3-4 after.

JG

Oh thanks, (I think!!!)
    skiffin, :). I GUESS I could live with how I am right now, I just imagine I'll be 10-15 lbs. lighter, but that's not horrible either!! So, I hope you're right and maybe it won't get much worse. And yes I was planning on it lasting awhile after rads....:0 Thanks for the encouragement!
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

Oh thanks, (I think!!!)
    skiffin, :). I GUESS I could live with how I am right now, I just imagine I'll be 10-15 lbs. lighter, but that's not horrible either!! So, I hope you're right and maybe it won't get much worse. And yes I was planning on it lasting awhile after rads....:0 Thanks for the encouragement!

LOL
    I just meant that where I was wasn't terrible, and it didn't get much worse after around week four or so.

So if you move in the direction I was, while not the best place to be, it didn't really get any worse, and was doable with minimal real discomfort.

JG
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

LOL
    I just meant that where I was wasn't terrible, and it didn't get much worse after around week four or so.

So if you move in the direction I was, while not the best place to be, it didn't really get any worse, and was doable with minimal real discomfort.

JG

Bus-
    keeps a rolling...Sounds like you're doing okay. I don't mean to suggest that you women are making some of us men look like pushovers, but you women on the bus are making some of us men look like pushovers! And that's a good thing.

kcass
  • CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Hi Mrs. Sarge,

It is very nice to hear you are past the half way point. I used Lidocaine gel for mouth sores and Magic Mouth Wash to numb everything. I was always able to drink water using the mouth wash. The doctors and nurses told me to use as much as I needed and it worked. I rarely use the mouth wash today and not the Lidocaine at all. Since you don’t have a PEG tube, you will have to work real hard at drinking enough water.

Wishing you the best,

Matt
  • mls351w
    mls351w Member Posts: 90
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

Hi
    Hi Mrs. Sarge,

It is very nice to hear you are past the half way point. I used Lidocaine gel for mouth sores and Magic Mouth Wash to numb everything. I was always able to drink water using the mouth wash. The doctors and nurses told me to use as much as I needed and it worked. I rarely use the mouth wash today and not the Lidocaine at all. Since you don’t have a PEG tube, you will have to work real hard at drinking enough water.

Wishing you the best,

Matt

hang in there!
    Mrs. Sarge, hope you have peaked. I remember my rad onc giving me a "week off" at 6 weeks. The last two weeks were really easy.
    Hang in there trooper!!

Mark S.