Please read-Is this a progression?

Options
JackieA
JackieA Member Posts: 150
Thank you- Please comment if you have experienced the last comment I made. Jackie

Comments

• SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Talk with Doctors, Palliative Care or Hospice?
    Dear JackieA,

I have been reading your posts right along. As you know pain for bone metastasis is very painful.

I have some metastasis in my ribs and they hurt a lot more than those in the lungs & pleura which are failry widespread. I also wear a fentanyl patches, take gabepetin and oxycodene for break through pain. I wear lidocaine patches on my ankle as I have PTTD and voltaren-gel for bone spurs behind my knees. Walking is very, very painful. There is a full tear in the supraspinatus tendon of the rotator cuff, chronic bursitis, osteoarthritis everywhere and chronic uveitis. Living with pain is my life now. I am in my mid sixties, work full time and use a cane to walk.

I am not listing my affictions for sympathy but, to make you understand that I know what it is like to live with pain.

Your husband sounds extremely depressed, laying in bed, not keeping hydrated and not wanting you to talk with his doctors. Which if I am reading your posts correctly, he isn’t talking with the doctors either. Has he seen a doctor for depression?

Perhaps it’s time for a real talk alone with his doctors in figuring out what exactly is his prognosis, short and long term.

Does he need hospice? If so, I believe it means he has a short time to live, treatments are stopped and pain medication is given to keep him comfortable.

Is he a better candidate for Palliative Care? They will give comfort, support and help you understand the options and choices. They will also help communicate between you and the doctors. Both organizations are there for the patient as well as their caretakers.

You need to do this even if he doesn’t want you to do it. His mind may be altered with the pain medication.

Your both young and I am so very sorry this has happen.

Keep us inform and I do wish you the very best,

Doris
  • JackieA
    JackieA Member Posts: 150
    Options
    SIROD said:

Talk with Doctors, Palliative Care or Hospice?
    Dear JackieA,

I have been reading your posts right along. As you know pain for bone metastasis is very painful.

I have some metastasis in my ribs and they hurt a lot more than those in the lungs & pleura which are failry widespread. I also wear a fentanyl patches, take gabepetin and oxycodene for break through pain. I wear lidocaine patches on my ankle as I have PTTD and voltaren-gel for bone spurs behind my knees. Walking is very, very painful. There is a full tear in the supraspinatus tendon of the rotator cuff, chronic bursitis, osteoarthritis everywhere and chronic uveitis. Living with pain is my life now. I am in my mid sixties, work full time and use a cane to walk.

I am not listing my affictions for sympathy but, to make you understand that I know what it is like to live with pain.

Your husband sounds extremely depressed, laying in bed, not keeping hydrated and not wanting you to talk with his doctors. Which if I am reading your posts correctly, he isn’t talking with the doctors either. Has he seen a doctor for depression?

Perhaps it’s time for a real talk alone with his doctors in figuring out what exactly is his prognosis, short and long term.

Does he need hospice? If so, I believe it means he has a short time to live, treatments are stopped and pain medication is given to keep him comfortable.

Is he a better candidate for Palliative Care? They will give comfort, support and help you understand the options and choices. They will also help communicate between you and the doctors. Both organizations are there for the patient as well as their caretakers.

You need to do this even if he doesn’t want you to do it. His mind may be altered with the pain medication.

Your both young and I am so very sorry this has happen.

Keep us inform and I do wish you the very best,

Doris

Thank you
    THank you Doris. It is very rare that I hear from someone who has similar situation as my husband. As I said, we came out of the hospital, since then, he has been in the bed-since Friday. He got up one time to try to have bm but unsuccessful. In the morning, I will see what we can do about the pump. He said that he wanted to try the pump. I don't know what to think anymore. I don't think he is giving up. I just think we don't know what to do about the pain-so he just lies in bed to keep from feeling pain. He is just feeling off. He is not eating, and I know that he is dehydrating again because of the color of his urine. I am keeping an eye on him. The dr did say that the cancer in his bone is stable. Great. But I don't understand, how it can be stable and a spot appears on the liver-9mm. The dr said it was too small to tell. However, my husband has been dehydrating and having all these crazy symptoms since November. Thanks for your time.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    JackieA said:

Thank you
    THank you Doris. It is very rare that I hear from someone who has similar situation as my husband. As I said, we came out of the hospital, since then, he has been in the bed-since Friday. He got up one time to try to have bm but unsuccessful. In the morning, I will see what we can do about the pump. He said that he wanted to try the pump. I don't know what to think anymore. I don't think he is giving up. I just think we don't know what to do about the pain-so he just lies in bed to keep from feeling pain. He is just feeling off. He is not eating, and I know that he is dehydrating again because of the color of his urine. I am keeping an eye on him. The dr did say that the cancer in his bone is stable. Great. But I don't understand, how it can be stable and a spot appears on the liver-9mm. The dr said it was too small to tell. However, my husband has been dehydrating and having all these crazy symptoms since November. Thanks for your time.

Sent you a private message. There is someone on another site that is very much like your husband. Mets to all her bones, and etc. Perhaps reading her posts might help or a message.

Best to you and your husband,

Doris