I WISH I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT........

Options
2»

Comments

• Doc_Hawk
    Doc_Hawk Member Posts: 685
    Options
    My List
    What a great idea, Jennie. I can't say that what I'm going to suggest were things I wish I'd known back then, but they are things that I've started doing that have helped me out a lot.

1. Put together a bag to take various things with you for chemo. In mine, I have a blanket, crackers (they help with the nausea), a book in case I want to read, a portable DVD player and an MP3 player with headphones (just in case I end up not sleeping during the whole session), a bottle of gatorade (or drink of your choice), a snack (unless you have someone who will get lunch for you.) Pretty much anything that will help you burn the long hours in the infusion room.

2. Select a few close friends or family members as your confidants for when you need to vent, yell, cry, be held or tell your darkest fears. Don't hold any of that stuff in, it gets in the way of treatment.

3. Put together a "diaper bag" to take with you where eve you go. In mine I keep extra emergency drugs such as pain pills, lomtil (for diarrhea), zofram (for nausea), and dicyclomine (for gut cramps); two extra pair of underwear as well as incontinence pants and pads; rubber gloves; ear loop masks; and wet wipes. I also take along some toiletries as well as a bowl and water for my dog and other odds and ends.

4. Get some scrubs and elastic band pajama bottoms. When you get diarrhea from the chemo you don't want to have to deal with belt buckles, zippers, buttons or even drawstrings when rushing to the bathroom. You just want to go and blow!