LIver Surgery - disappointing

Options
Karen63
Karen63 Member Posts: 25
I had liver surgery yesterday. The surgeon did a laporoscopy with the intent of removing 3 tumors. After he looked at the liver, he saw that I know have 9 tumors (6 very small - so small they didn't show up on the PET scan). He said he could not remove this much liver so stopped surgery and I will now have my chemo first. I feel so frightened now. So discouraged. The hope is that the chemo will shrink/remove those small tumors and that he can do surgery again in 3 months to remove those other 3.

Any experiences with this? thanks so much. I could use some encouragement..

Comments

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    So sorry for the news
    So sorry for the news, but all is not lost. Other folks here have had success with treatment then surgery.

I am curious though, did the doc say why he did not remove the 3 larger mets that he originally went in for?

I know that this news has hit you hard, but after a bit of reflection just get in the fight again with a different battle plan.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options

So sorry for the news
    So sorry for the news, but all is not lost. Other folks here have had success with treatment then surgery.

I am curious though, did the doc say why he did not remove the 3 larger mets that he originally went in for?

I know that this news has hit you hard, but after a bit of reflection just get in the fight again with a different battle plan.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties

What was the percentage? I
    What was the percentage? I had 60% taken out, butbive heardvsomevhave had 70% taken out. Chemo does shrink them but my ONC still had them take out the area where they showed up on the scan.

Hang in there.
  • steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    Options
    no experience
    Never had any surgery but take chemo every two weeks. Your tumors should shrink so they can do the surgery later. Praying all goes well. Jeff
  • k1
    k1 Member Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hidden liver tumors
    The only similar experience I have had is my liver tumors also did not show up on a CT scan or a PET scan. The mysterious spots only showed up on an MRI and they still did not know whether they were actually tumors or cysts. I opted to have surgery anyway and sure enough three of them were tumors. I think that a lot of times that opening you up is the only way to know for sure whether you have tumors when they don't show up on conventional tests. I know you are disappointed but if you had not had the surgery those extra tumors might not have shown up for a while on your scans and they could have been getting bigger and causing even more harm.

K1
  • Karen63
    Options

So sorry for the news

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties

liver tumors
    Marie: yes, I believe the thinking was that if he got out and didn't remove any tumors from my liver now, then they could start chemo next week. If he only removed those three now, then chemo couldn't start for 6 weeks. He wanted to go ahead and start chemo asap to hopefully eliminate those other small tumors and then go back in to operate.
  • Karen63
    Options
    Nana b said:

What was the percentage? I had 60% taken out, butbive heardvsomevhave had 70% taken out. Chemo does shrink them but my ONC still had them take out the area where they showed up on the scan.

Hang in there.

liver percentage
    My understanding is that he would have had to remove 80% of my liver and that it was just too aggresive as a first option. He said to do chemo first was the best option. He had thought he would need to remove 40% of my liver if I had had just the 3 tumors. He said they had lots of options (chemo being first) to try and get me into remission.
  • sammer4u
    sammer4u Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Nana b said:

Hang in there.

I have been thru the chemo,
    I have been thru the chemo, now the surgery part. I have 6 tumors in the liver. Last week Thursday I had laparoscopic surgery and a dimple sized tumor on the left side was removed. Then Friday I had a portal vein embolization to block the blood flow to the right side of the liver. The thought is to increase the size of the left side of the liver, to allow them to go in and remove up to 80% of the right side. So I would say that they are making the right call and having you go thru chemo. Yeah it sucks having to go thru it, but makes it worth it! I had 8 sessions, and the tumors shrunk considerably! Enough so that they considered doing the surgery. Plus after the surgery, they are now talking that I will be doing some more chemo afterwards. So I would not be to concerned about their thinking process of putting you throw the chemo. It will make things better in the long run, and potentially easier for both you and them!
  • westie66
    westie66 Member Posts: 642
    Options
    k1 said:

Hidden liver tumors
    The only similar experience I have had is my liver tumors also did not show up on a CT scan or a PET scan. The mysterious spots only showed up on an MRI and they still did not know whether they were actually tumors or cysts. I opted to have surgery anyway and sure enough three of them were tumors. I think that a lot of times that opening you up is the only way to know for sure whether you have tumors when they don't show up on conventional tests. I know you are disappointed but if you had not had the surgery those extra tumors might not have shown up for a while on your scans and they could have been getting bigger and causing even more harm.

K1

Liver Tumour and Radiation?
    Hi: I have one liver tumour (met from gallbladder cancer). Because I also have mets to the peritoneum (5 small masses - pretty stable for 3 years) surgeons here won't remove the liver tumour. However, my oncologist is recommending radiation. The tumour is about an inch in size. Has anyone had radiation for a liver tumour?
    Cheryl