Any suggestions would be appreciated :-)

Options
Stacy7676
Stacy7676 Member Posts: 17
After I had my mastectomy I started having problems sleeping. I would fall asleep and then about an hour later I would wake up and then had a hard time falling back to sleep. My Dr. prescribed me Ambien. I was still waking up at night so my Dr gave me some lunesta samples. Taking that wasn't any different than Ambien so I didn't fill the prescription. I still wake up 4-5 times a night. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me?
Thank you
Stacy

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Maybe you are still in pain?
    Sorry,
    My suggestion is to take painkiller before going to bed. Make sure you are having a comfortable position. I slept on my back for a very long time. I had pillows which kept me in the particular position minimizing movements on my surgical side.
    Wishing for an easy solution for you
  • Stacy7676
    Options

Maybe you are still in pain?
    Sorry,
    My suggestion is to take painkiller before going to bed. Make sure you are having a comfortable position. I slept on my back for a very long time. I had pillows which kept me in the particular position minimizing movements on my surgical side.
    Wishing for an easy solution for you

For about the last week I
    For about the last week I have been taking pain killers because I had a port put in and that still doesn't work.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Warm milk
    This may sound strange but have you tried it a cup of warm 'white' milk before you go to bed (or when you wake up)? Quite a few years ago I was a CNA and one of our older RN's got residents to sleep the night through by us taking them warm milk rather than drugging them deeper. Celestial Seasonings has a SleepyTime tea that helps also.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan
  • Stacy7676
    Options
    Rague said:

Warm milk
    This may sound strange but have you tried it a cup of warm 'white' milk before you go to bed (or when you wake up)? Quite a few years ago I was a CNA and one of our older RN's got residents to sleep the night through by us taking them warm milk rather than drugging them deeper. Celestial Seasonings has a SleepyTime tea that helps also.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

Thank you Susan! I'll try
    Thank you Susan! I'll try that!
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I have a guided
    I have a guided imagery/meditation on sleep that helps sometimes. I also have to write down anything that might be spinning through my little brain...it helps me to let go enough so that I can get back to sleep. I keep a bag of lavender potpourri on my nightstand, and rub it to activate the scent. I also like the sleepy time or chamomile tea. Many take melatonin.

I hope you find the thing that works for you.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Stacy7676
    Options

I have a guided
    I have a guided imagery/meditation on sleep that helps sometimes. I also have to write down anything that might be spinning through my little brain...it helps me to let go enough so that I can get back to sleep. I keep a bag of lavender potpourri on my nightstand, and rub it to activate the scent. I also like the sleepy time or chamomile tea. Many take melatonin.

I hope you find the thing that works for you.

Hugs,

Linda

Thank you Linda!

Thank you Linda!
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need
    a stronger perscription. During treatment I took 12.5 mg Ambien Sustained release (the lower dosage did nothing) and 2 benedryl capsules in order to get between 5 and 6 hours sleep. I still take the Ambien and if I'm lucky I get 6 hours sleep. Just recently I started taking Zyertec at night for allergies and I seem to be sleeping heavier. I don't always sleep through the night, but I am getting some sleep.
    Good luck,
    JoAnn
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I have been getting up 4-5
    I have been getting up 4-5 nightly for about 4 yrs...I mention it to all my dr not one has said anything...could it be the tamoxifen or menopause? JUST my age 52 yrs ...not sure..

I slept 6 hr other night and woke up and thought wowo...been years...

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    MY daughter (no health
    MY daughter (no health issues) loves sleepy time tea...thinks it helps...

I get in grocery store same dept as reg tea...

Denise