My new wig

Options
rallendorfer
rallendorfer Member Posts: 244
edited May 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
I wore my wig to work yesterday for the first time. Could there be any nicer people on this earth than my boss and co-workers? They loved it! They told me I am beautiful! The supervisor told me I should forget my own hair and stay with the wig when this is over. I should have thrown the stapler at him ;-) I felt like a million bucks. Going tonight to a "Look good, Feel better" meeting to try to learn how to draw an eyebrow and tie a scarf.

Comments

• grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    Sounds like you picked a good one
    It's always nice to not have to answer questions about why you don't have hair when you are at work.

I have a human hair wig I named Raquel ( Raquel Welch brand) and when I wear it I don't get looks or questions, 1 less thing to deal with.

Glad that part is going well for you,

Jennifer
  • MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! Feeling and
    Wonderful! Feeling and looking good are just one part of the fight against cancer. I wore the Raquel Welch wigs and they are so natural looking and many people didn't realize I had a wig on either. Stay strong and beautiful!
  • sdukowitz
    sdukowitz Member Posts: 250
    Options
    Great to have such positive
    Great to have such positive coworkers sometimes they make you feel so good in a way that family can't ... great to hear positive comments on here ... thanks for posting! Sue D.
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    That's Wonderful!
    Seems you work with a group of wonderful people! Makes going through everything much easier!

Hugs, Debi
  • terrineedssomejoy
    terrineedssomejoy Member Posts: 15
    Options
    keep up that great spirit
    Anything you can do to feel better is terrific. Look good feel great. You are a warrior
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    That's what it's all about
    Feeling good about yourself helps get you through the rough times.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493
    Options
    ladyg said:

That's what it's all about
    Feeling good about yourself helps get you through the rough times.

Hugs,
    Georgia

Congratulations on choosing
    Congratulations on choosing a great wig! Feeling good about yourself and getting out and about helps. Hope you enjoyed the LGFB. And hope you got an IT Brow Power pencil. I got one there and love it. I'd never had to draw brows before and it and the instructions with it really helped me. In case you didn't get one, you can go to the IT cosmetics website.
    Angie
  • rallendorfer
    rallendorfer Member Posts: 244
    Options
    AngieD said:

Congratulations on choosing
    Congratulations on choosing a great wig! Feeling good about yourself and getting out and about helps. Hope you enjoyed the LGFB. And hope you got an IT Brow Power pencil. I got one there and love it. I'd never had to draw brows before and it and the instructions with it really helped me. In case you didn't get one, you can go to the IT cosmetics website.
    Angie

IT Brow Power pencil
    No, I didn't get one of those. But there was an instruction book in the kit. You should have seen the meeting. All of the women came in quiet and left laughing. I just decided to play hostess: "Hi, whats your name? Look, over there are some cookies...do you like oreos or lorna doone, I'll get you some. And something to drink, go ahead. You can sit here by me. Look! They gave us a HAUL in products! Look at this stuff! Did you have this color lipstick in yours?" We were all great friends when the meeting was over. And I made some killer eyebrows. My wig fooled them all. I was so tempted to just reach up and yank it off and say "YEP. Its a wig!" hahahaha

Now, don't ask me how much I will be laughing when I face chemo #2 tomorrow. I'm guessing not so much. I shake like my dog at the vet.

Love you all,
    Rebecca
  • bluwillo
    bluwillo Member Posts: 113
    Options

IT Brow Power pencil
    No, I didn't get one of those. But there was an instruction book in the kit. You should have seen the meeting. All of the women came in quiet and left laughing. I just decided to play hostess: "Hi, whats your name? Look, over there are some cookies...do you like oreos or lorna doone, I'll get you some. And something to drink, go ahead. You can sit here by me. Look! They gave us a HAUL in products! Look at this stuff! Did you have this color lipstick in yours?" We were all great friends when the meeting was over. And I made some killer eyebrows. My wig fooled them all. I was so tempted to just reach up and yank it off and say "YEP. Its a wig!" hahahaha

Now, don't ask me how much I will be laughing when I face chemo #2 tomorrow. I'm guessing not so much. I shake like my dog at the vet.

Love you all,
    Rebecca

Good for you!
    I love people that can make the room comfortable. Wish you had been at my LGFB meeting!

I had a wig (2 yrs ago). I called her "Erma" or "the dead squirrel on top of my head". Actually, she was a very nice wig...but she itched. After rads, I started a brand new job...didn't tell them I was just out of treatment for BC. I remember going to the ladies room while having those wonderful hot flashes. I would take Erma off, hang her on the hook of the stall door, and fan myself crazy. On the way home from work, as soon as I was up a certain hill, I'd take my index finger and flip Erma off...she was so smart, she knew to land on the back seat! Oh, btw, I got Erma for free from our local ACS, right before they closed. If I ever go bald again, I will use my better insurance and get a good wig. Erma will understand :)
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    bluwillo said:

Good for you!
    I love people that can make the room comfortable. Wish you had been at my LGFB meeting!

I had a wig (2 yrs ago). I called her "Erma" or "the dead squirrel on top of my head". Actually, she was a very nice wig...but she itched. After rads, I started a brand new job...didn't tell them I was just out of treatment for BC. I remember going to the ladies room while having those wonderful hot flashes. I would take Erma off, hang her on the hook of the stall door, and fan myself crazy. On the way home from work, as soon as I was up a certain hill, I'd take my index finger and flip Erma off...she was so smart, she knew to land on the back seat! Oh, btw, I got Erma for free from our local ACS, right before they closed. If I ever go bald again, I will use my better insurance and get a good wig. Erma will understand :)

I'm bald...
    I'm bald AGAIN.....thanks to 10 radiation treatments to mets to the brain...anyway....I'm back to my faithful wig...."she" sat on a shelve in my closet for almost 3 years...She's a good synthetic...my hair dresser of 22 years told me what type to get...it even has " scalp"......the first time, 3 years ago that my best friend saw it on me said " It looks better than your real hair!" ....gee thanks! lol. It's not all one color either, so it makes it look even more natural....all shades of dark brown....I only wear it out in public....and most never know it's a wig unless I tell them....sometimes I liken it to having a dead cat wrapped around my head...lol but I am thankful for it...I almost donated it when my hair grew back the first time...but a little voice said "hang onto it"..... Woman's intuition?????

Also for " newbies" who lose their hair...if you have your Oncologist write a prescription for a wig, most insurance companies will reimburse you for it...mine was $300.00 and they paid for it! Plus I just wash it a couple times a week, squeeze the water out by rolling it in a towel, then shake it and plop her on my wig stand...good to go the next time morning! It's nice to look " normal" .....

Hugs, Nancy
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    wow great ....must feel
    wow great ....must feel good...! sorry about comment from supervisor...some people just dont' thnk..before they speak..

Thinking of you..

Denise