hair loss and herceptin

Options
Monicalynn
Monicalynn Member Posts: 61
How long after chemo is done will hair start growing back, shaved my head last week because it was getting way to thin. Don't really mind the bald look since I have some cute hats but curious as to how long after chemo is done and I go to just herceptin that my hair will start growing again.

Only two more chemo treatments, one next week and then one 3 weeks later, then 13 treatments of herceptin. I hope it starts growing before winter hits as I get cold even when a slight breeze comes up lol

Monica

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Hair...
    Hair grows about 1/2 an inch a month....for me, it took 6 months for mine to grow to where I didn't my wig for out in public...don't be surprised if it comes back curly and gray! I am once again bald due to brain radiation and chemo, again.....hasn't bothered me a bit this time....if it grows back fine, if it doesn't that's okay too....I'm more interested in surviving!

Hugs, Nancy
  • terrineedssomejoy
    terrineedssomejoy Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Should start growing back
    Should start growing back right away. Herceptin was a breeze. My eyebrows just partially grew back but a little pencil and that's taken care of. Your hair could come back curly or thicker. Mine is about the same but whiter. When I. Dye my hair blond it looks like I have highlights because the white hair comes up lighter blond. Good luck.
  • terrineedssomejoy
    terrineedssomejoy Member Posts: 15
    Options
    MAJW said:

Hair...
    Hair grows about 1/2 an inch a month....for me, it took 6 months for mine to grow to where I didn't my wig for out in public...don't be surprised if it comes back curly and gray! I am once again bald due to brain radiation and chemo, again.....hasn't bothered me a bit this time....if it grows back fine, if it doesn't that's okay too....I'm more interested in surviving!

Hugs, Nancy

That's the spiry. Hair is
    That's the spiry. Hair is just hair.....keep up the spirits.
  • Monicalynn
    Options

Should start growing back
    Should start growing back right away. Herceptin was a breeze. My eyebrows just partially grew back but a little pencil and that's taken care of. Your hair could come back curly or thicker. Mine is about the same but whiter. When I. Dye my hair blond it looks like I have highlights because the white hair comes up lighter blond. Good luck.

thanks
    Thanks Nancy and Terri,

I don't mind the bald look, with the hair loss at least I know the meds are doing what they are suppose to be doing. My mother in law is a two time survivor and loved the attention she got. I'm more of a type b personality and like to observe and watch.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

thanks
    Thanks Nancy and Terri,

I don't mind the bald look, with the hair loss at least I know the meds are doing what they are suppose to be doing. My mother in law is a two time survivor and loved the attention she got. I'm more of a type b personality and like to observe and watch.

My experience ...
    Finished chemo in late December -- burrrr, cold in the evenings, so I wore a
    cotton sleep cap, or wool depending on temperature.

By the end of April --- I took off my hats, and scarves. Please note my hair was pretty
    short, I did have 'angel wings' in several places -- and my front top/bang area was
    the very last place to fill in. While growing my hair -- I did have several trims due
    to the fact that my hair grew back faster in the back .. front and sides took FOREVER
    to grow in!

Good luck .. and well wishes for rapid hair re-growth!

Vicki Sam
  • Monicalynn
    Options
    VickiSam said:

My experience ...
    Finished chemo in late December -- burrrr, cold in the evenings, so I wore a
    cotton sleep cap, or wool depending on temperature.

By the end of April --- I took off my hats, and scarves. Please note my hair was pretty
    short, I did have 'angel wings' in several places -- and my front top/bang area was
    the very last place to fill in. While growing my hair -- I did have several trims due
    to the fact that my hair grew back faster in the back .. front and sides took FOREVER
    to grow in!

Good luck .. and well wishes for rapid hair re-growth!

Vicki Sam

hair
    My front and top started coming out first, I let my hair salon know I won't be getting haircuts for awhile until my hair starts growing back. I'll expect to keep all my hats for at least four months after my last session. My neighbor brought me a beautiful white knit hat with the pink ribbon on it yesterday :)