New here

Options
Stacy7676
Stacy7676 Member Posts: 17
I am new here and just wanted to say hi! At the end of March I was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time and I am only 35. I had a mastectomy a little over a month ago and started chemo 2 weeks ago. I just shaved my head last night as the hair loss was too much. I hope to make some new friends here who know what I am going through. My friends and family try to understand but they can't completely.

Stacy

Comments

• ksf56
    ksf56 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    Welcome!
    Welcome Stacy!

I'm so sorry about what you're going through and the fact that you are here at all. We all understand a lot of what you're having to deal with. It's a very scary time in all of our lives and we get it. I was diagnosed in June 2011 with triple negative breast cancer totally out of the blue - no family history, no palpable lump... What a shock! I had two lumpectomies, chemo and radiation. I started losing my hair within 10 days and I too, had my hair trimmed very short and a couple of days later, I went into the bathroom and shaved my head myself. It was the one thing I could control in my whole life. It actually felt kinda liberating! I finished active treatment March 16, 2012. I can tell you that you can get through this. Always remember that we are all here at your fingertips! Stay in touch

Hugs and prayers going out to you!
    Karen
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    You;ll find this is a pretty
    You;ll find this is a pretty amazing group...I'm just sorry you have the need for us. But we'll be here for you.

Hugs,

Linda
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    Welcome Stacy
    I am sorry for the reason you need to be here but glad you found us. There are a lot of caring people on this site. You will never be alone. And yes we do understand how you feel.
    Come here whenever you want to talk, vent or just need some company.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • terrineedssomejoy
    terrineedssomejoy Member Posts: 15
    Options
    hair grows back
    Mine got really thin but I couldn't stand wigs. They made my head itch. I figured if anybody had the nerve to mention my hair they just had no class. I was too busy fighting and getting on with my life to care. Your hair will grow back more beautiful than before. Good luck to you.
  • rallendorfer
    rallendorfer Member Posts: 244
    Options
    Hi Stacy
    I'm new too, and just wanted to send you a welcome. My hair started falling out last Thursday at work, and I can sympathize with you. My beautician gave me a buzz cut. I put a wig on right away so that I would not see myself when I passed a mirror!The wig fooled 2 of my neighbors who thought I got a haircut in preparation for the hair loss. Do you have a wig? After the surgery and now chemo you are probably tired all of the time?
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Hi Stacy
    I'm new too, and just wanted to send you a welcome. My hair started falling out last Thursday at work, and I can sympathize with you. My beautician gave me a buzz cut. I put a wig on right away so that I would not see myself when I passed a mirror!The wig fooled 2 of my neighbors who thought I got a haircut in preparation for the hair loss. Do you have a wig? After the surgery and now chemo you are probably tired all of the time?

.. For all you new WARRIOR'S
    Sorry .. all you NEW Sisters in PINK for coming on the journey that none of us wanted to be on. Allow yourself time to absorb the information that is being given to you; take someone with you if possible to hear when you can't possibly absorb it all.

You will find many wonderful, caring, uplifting, funny, amazing Women and Men here on our Support Site.

But you will get through it. The waiting is really one of the hardest parts. Once you have a treatment plan in place, things will start to go a lot faster. We on this board know about the waiting and the myriad of emotions one goes through -- so let us wait with you. Post whenever you feel the urge and we'll keep you company. I think at this point it is easy to get overwhelmed with all the new things happening in your life. It might help to take things one step and one day (sometimes even one hour) at a time. Get your results, talk to your doctor, give yourself some time to digest, etc. Please let us know later today if you feel up to it. We are here to support you.

If you are hesitant about anything, get a second opinion as soon as possible. I felt confident with my surgeon and knew I wanted the cancer out immediately, so I went ahead with surgery. I did get a second opinion, after my lumpectomy -- and opted for a bi-lateral mastectomy, reconstruction and chemotherapy.

====================================================

I've added a few tips that helped me get thru my chemo therapy:

First of all, it is okay to be anxious of the unknown -- Please don't allow this anxiety to get the best of you. Remember to alert your Onco RN of any unusual feelings etc .. a list of possible side efforts, which should be presented to you before your first chemo infusion

It is so important to remain and continue hydration, water - water, and more water. Splash in a little lemonade, cranberry juice -- or prepackaged crystal light, or Lipton Tea. Herbal Tea's also work for a change of pace.

If you are getting the neulasta shot -- Please ask your Oncologist about taking a benadryl --
    or claritin -- which many of us === swear by -- as they help alleviate that 'just run over by a truck' aches and pains - some of us experience from the neulasta shot.

Ask for prescriptions for nausea and vomiting -- as well as diarrhea.

Plastic silverware is a must ---
    biotin toothpaste and mouthwash is a daily essential
    (available at most Target's or Wall-Mart's)

Food is subjective -- depending on your personal needs and taste buds .. What taste good or was tolerable 1 week -- changed for me, the very next. I could not tolerate any foods with sugar, i.e. ketchup, or cola's.

To help prevent mouth sores -- suck on ice chips during all chemo treatments.

Rest when you can, as some chemo queens have bouts of insomnia ---

Take goodies to entertain yourself during your infusions -- games, books, friend, a snack, IPOD, laptop ...

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • Stacy7676
    Options
    VickiSam said:

.. For all you new WARRIOR'S
    Sorry .. all you NEW Sisters in PINK for coming on the journey that none of us wanted to be on. Allow yourself time to absorb the information that is being given to you; take someone with you if possible to hear when you can't possibly absorb it all.

You will find many wonderful, caring, uplifting, funny, amazing Women and Men here on our Support Site.

But you will get through it. The waiting is really one of the hardest parts. Once you have a treatment plan in place, things will start to go a lot faster. We on this board know about the waiting and the myriad of emotions one goes through -- so let us wait with you. Post whenever you feel the urge and we'll keep you company. I think at this point it is easy to get overwhelmed with all the new things happening in your life. It might help to take things one step and one day (sometimes even one hour) at a time. Get your results, talk to your doctor, give yourself some time to digest, etc. Please let us know later today if you feel up to it. We are here to support you.

If you are hesitant about anything, get a second opinion as soon as possible. I felt confident with my surgeon and knew I wanted the cancer out immediately, so I went ahead with surgery. I did get a second opinion, after my lumpectomy -- and opted for a bi-lateral mastectomy, reconstruction and chemotherapy.

====================================================

I've added a few tips that helped me get thru my chemo therapy:

First of all, it is okay to be anxious of the unknown -- Please don't allow this anxiety to get the best of you. Remember to alert your Onco RN of any unusual feelings etc .. a list of possible side efforts, which should be presented to you before your first chemo infusion

It is so important to remain and continue hydration, water - water, and more water. Splash in a little lemonade, cranberry juice -- or prepackaged crystal light, or Lipton Tea. Herbal Tea's also work for a change of pace.

If you are getting the neulasta shot -- Please ask your Oncologist about taking a benadryl --
    or claritin -- which many of us === swear by -- as they help alleviate that 'just run over by a truck' aches and pains - some of us experience from the neulasta shot.

Ask for prescriptions for nausea and vomiting -- as well as diarrhea.

Plastic silverware is a must ---
    biotin toothpaste and mouthwash is a daily essential
    (available at most Target's or Wall-Mart's)

Food is subjective -- depending on your personal needs and taste buds .. What taste good or was tolerable 1 week -- changed for me, the very next. I could not tolerate any foods with sugar, i.e. ketchup, or cola's.

To help prevent mouth sores -- suck on ice chips during all chemo treatments.

Rest when you can, as some chemo queens have bouts of insomnia ---

Take goodies to entertain yourself during your infusions -- games, books, friend, a snack, IPOD, laptop ...

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam

Thank ladies!
    Thank ladies! Fortunately/unfortunately I kind of knew what to expect since this is the second time I have been diagnosed.
  • Stacy7676
    Options

Hi Stacy

Hi!
    Yes I do have a wig but

Hi!
    Yes I do have a wig but probably won't wear it much. I live in Arizona so it's starting to get hot. Mostly I will be wearing a bandana. I have noticed that I am always tired no matter how much sleep I get.
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Stacy7676 said:

Hi!
    Yes I do have a wig but

Hi!
    Yes I do have a wig but probably won't wear it much. I live in Arizona so it's starting to get hot. Mostly I will be wearing a bandana. I have noticed that I am always tired no matter how much sleep I get.

Welcome
    Welcome to all the new pinks here. So sorry you are going through this but so glad you found this site. I was a newbie a year ago and the women (and even a few men) here are amazing. Everyone one here just "gets it"! The support is the absolute best.

Vicki Sam....thanks for re-posting the helpful hints. I used several of them during my chemo.

Going through this journey is not fun, but is doable - but I've met some incredible people along the way that I would have never met otherwise.

Hugs to all! Debi
  • Stacy7676
    Options
    debi.18 said:

Welcome
    Welcome to all the new pinks here. So sorry you are going through this but so glad you found this site. I was a newbie a year ago and the women (and even a few men) here are amazing. Everyone one here just "gets it"! The support is the absolute best.

Vicki Sam....thanks for re-posting the helpful hints. I used several of them during my chemo.

Going through this journey is not fun, but is doable - but I've met some incredible people along the way that I would have never met otherwise.

Hugs to all! Debi

Thank you Debi! It's so hard
    Thank you Debi! It's so hard for my friends and family to understand what I am going through. I live with my cousin and she is always saying she understands but I try to get it across to her that she can't understand. She is always complaining about being tired and yesterday I got tired of hearing it and told her I would gladly trade her reason for being tired for mine. Work exhausts me even though it's not very strenuous. It's just nice to know I have somewhere I can go where everything "gets" it.
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Stacy7676 said:

Thank you Debi! It's so hard
    Thank you Debi! It's so hard for my friends and family to understand what I am going through. I live with my cousin and she is always saying she understands but I try to get it across to her that she can't understand. She is always complaining about being tired and yesterday I got tired of hearing it and told her I would gladly trade her reason for being tired for mine. Work exhausts me even though it's not very strenuous. It's just nice to know I have somewhere I can go where everything "gets" it.

Sounds familiar
    While I was going through chemo & rads (after 2 lumpectomies) in 2011, I was exhausted and had quite a few side effects. Although I tried not to complain at work (worked through the whole treatment), at home I would. Interestingly, DH would seem to have the same problems that I had: itching, rashes, nausea, achy bones, swelling, etc. One day when I was feeling particularly bad I just looked at him and said--"Oh are you having chemo/rads too?" Unfortunately it didn't shut him up, but he did notice.
    Hugs,
    JoAnn
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    joannstar said:

Sounds familiar
    While I was going through chemo & rads (after 2 lumpectomies) in 2011, I was exhausted and had quite a few side effects. Although I tried not to complain at work (worked through the whole treatment), at home I would. Interestingly, DH would seem to have the same problems that I had: itching, rashes, nausea, achy bones, swelling, etc. One day when I was feeling particularly bad I just looked at him and said--"Oh are you having chemo/rads too?" Unfortunately it didn't shut him up, but he did notice.
    Hugs,
    JoAnn

Stacy & JoAnn
    Stacy, one of my friends is the same way. She's always complaining about how bad her life is and how unhappy she is. I always tell her she could be much worse - we could trade places and she can have cancer, go through chemo and rads, loose her hair and gain 20 chemo pounds. She just kinda laughs and tells me that I'm dealing with everything so well and I look great! She also adds that I'm stronger than she is. With cancer, I don't think we have a choice but to be strong.

JoAnn, my Ed had alot of my symptons while I was going through chemo - although his were much milder. When my face broke out from the steroids, his did too. When I would feel nauseous, he would also. Guess he was having sympathy symptons.

Hugs, Debi
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Stacy,
    I'm so glad you found this site. Everyone here understands. They are wonderfully kind, sweet and insightful. We are here for you.

Sue
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Stacy,
    I'm so glad you found this site. Everyone here understands. They are wonderfully kind, sweet and insightful. We are here for you.

Sue

Welcome, Stacy
    I am sorry that you have had to join this group, but you will find an abundance of
    caring and support. We are always here for you... (((Hugs))) and prayers send your way...
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Welcome
    This is an amazing group of ladies and men. Chemo sucks, cancer sucks, as does being exhausted. But you are right nothing harder than knowing that no matter what you feel or say, people really don't get it unless they have been there, and this is one journey that I hope my family and friends will never have to go through. Although sometimes meeting just ignorant people..... is a complete different story!

Prayers and best wishes,
    Carol
  • eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Welcome....
    Like everyone said, welcome and also sorry. We all appreciate each other so much for the very reason of been there done or doing that! It is so frustrating when good people are truely trying to help and say they understand, but if they have not actually been through it they just can't quite get it! You will find support, insite, helpful tips, and laughter here....and best of all love and concern from total strangers who soon become friends. Keep posting, and remember no question is too crazy or not worth asking, someone will have an answer. As always, all in my prayers.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Stacy:
    Welcome....sorry we

Stacy:

Welcome....sorry we have to meet like this> I did not go through chemo but still wanted to say thinking of you...

Denise
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    No they don't get it. but there is a lot of support here. Just keep on comming back.