Options
2»

Comments

• relaxoutdoors08
    relaxoutdoors08 Member Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Kenny H. said:

I to had seven mets to lungs
    I to had seven mets to lungs and Onc here said was inoperable. Went to MD Anderson for a 2nd opinion & put me on Avastin/Irinotecan for 10 rounds and 2 nodules cavitated (gone!) and dr there wants to operate on one lung in July (the other one later)

Surgery is your best option to totally getting rid of them, said would only lose 5-10% of lung function which is not bad. Would recomend a 2nd opinion at a major cancer center near you. They are much more aggressive for your cure and they gave orders locally for treatments so you only have to visit top dogs there every 3 months.

Prayers for Successful Surgery
    Kenny

Glad to hear you scheduled for surgery. Prayers for a successful surgery.
    NB
  • tko683
    tko683 Member Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Good update
    Jennie, Thanks so much for updating us! I think you are doing the right thing with option 2. You sound like you have everything under control and I'm so happy you can plan vacations. It is very inspiring to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel even in the world of stage 4! I would really like to know what specific herbal supplements helped you with the itching and the painful hips. My husband is currently on FOLFIRI and is having both problems. We do not have a TCM doctor anywhere close to us so it is hard getting this type of information. He gets his 5th treatment this week and the rash and hip pain are getting worse. I will have to tell him about Acupuncture treatment. Have a wonderful summer! Hugs, Teri
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    That's good
    Well, that all sounds pretty good!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • steved
    steved Member Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

That's good
    Well, that all sounds pretty good!

*hugs*
    Gail

Taking control
    I like your attitude and approach to the situation and it really sounds like you have surroundeed yourself with a team of people who have a very compatible approach to fighting this which I think it vital in this journey. It is so often about trying to find a way of feeling in control in a an out of control situation. As others have pointed out your decisions aren't for every one- others find control in taking all treatment offered- but we are all individuals with different approaches. You have made the deicsion that is right for you and good on you for having the bravery to do that.

steve
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    tko683 said:

Good update
    Jennie, Thanks so much for updating us! I think you are doing the right thing with option 2. You sound like you have everything under control and I'm so happy you can plan vacations. It is very inspiring to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel even in the world of stage 4! I would really like to know what specific herbal supplements helped you with the itching and the painful hips. My husband is currently on FOLFIRI and is having both problems. We do not have a TCM doctor anywhere close to us so it is hard getting this type of information. He gets his 5th treatment this week and the rash and hip pain are getting worse. I will have to tell him about Acupuncture treatment. Have a wonderful summer! Hugs, Teri

Teri -

You can type your zip code into the box provided at this
    web site, and locate what you are looking for:
    http://acupuncturists.healthprofs.com/cam/prof_search.php

I have some information at my "blog" here at this site, to help
    you understand TCM and what it involves. The methods for
    diagnosing health problems are unlike anything you have
    experienced in western medicine.

The bottom line? TCM works!

Better health to you!

John
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    You know my thoughts on this
    I'm 100% for option #2. Chemo as a last resort, only when there is proof you need it. My CEA is up a bit, but my last scan couldn't find anything large enough to treat, so I'm enjoying life for a change, instead of barely existing on chemo. Is it a risk? Sure. But I'd gladly take a year of feeling better and productive with no chemo than 1 1/2 years wishing I were dead much of that time on chemo. If not being "proactive" and taking chemo now shortens my lifespan, I won't regret it. I'm loving life now!!!

I know many oncologists want stage IV to stay on maintenance chemo and think they can manage them better to live longer that way. I'm so glad my onc is willing and now happy to do things my way (even though he originally is the one that had me on the chemo for life plan). I hope you get a nice long break from treatments or surgeries.
  • tko683
    tko683 Member Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    John23 said:

Teri -

You can type your zip code into the box provided at this
    web site, and locate what you are looking for:
    http://acupuncturists.healthprofs.com/cam/prof_search.php

I have some information at my "blog" here at this site, to help
    you understand TCM and what it involves. The methods for
    diagnosing health problems are unlike anything you have
    experienced in western medicine.

The bottom line? TCM works!

Better health to you!

John

Thanks
    Thanks for the information John. I will check it out! I have been wanting to do some research in this area for awhile now so thanks for the link.
    Best wishes to you!
    Teri
  • Phil64
    Phil64 Member Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    TCM Doctor
    Jennie,

I want to see your TCM Doctor. :-) What does TCM stand for? I seriously would like to seek out another doctor, in addition to the traditional treatment. I do believe treatment for our mind and soul are as much a part of treating cancer as treatment of the body.

Thanks for sharing the update!

And Prayers and Positive energy to you for continued success.

Phil